Need some serious help with Kodi 18, Windows 10, and Qnap TS-451+
Hello all, but I'm very sorry if I repeated someone else's question, but as the subject states, I'm a dumba**!

Just got a new Qnap TS-451+, and want to store videos from dvd to stream over HDMI.  Played with Plex for a couple of days, but really want separate accounts to keep prying eyes from the wrong media.  That is why I think Kodi might be my best alternative.

Qnap TS-451+ running firmware 4.3.6.0093
Set up Static Ip on the NAS
I Installed HybridDesk Station 3.2.10
I downloaded Kodi mykodi18_18.0a1.1.qpkg and performed a manual install

But this is about as far as I can get.  With the HDMI connected, I can log into Kodi on the TV just fine.  When I go files/ videos and attempt  locate source I see nothing in any of the protocols resembling anything like a network.  I tried Windows, SMB, and only found my printer in the last location listed.

I can access the Qnap from windows and was able to upload videos to the NAS when I was using PLEX. , using the File Explorer.

At this point, I'm not sure how to connect Kodi to my network so that I can begin using it as a Media a server.

Be kind, I'm new here, and my NAS is only 5 days old! 

Thank You
(2019-07-27, 00:49)Camel56 Wrote: Hello all, but I'm very sorry if I repeated someone else's question, but as the subject states, I'm a dumba**!

Just got a new Qnap TS-451+, and want to store videos from dvd to stream over HDMI.  Played with Plex for a couple of days, but really want separate accounts to keep prying eyes from the wrong media.  That is why I think Kodi might be my best alternative.

Qnap TS-451+ running firmware 4.3.6.0093
Set up Static Ip on the NAS
I Installed HybridDesk Station 3.2.10
I downloaded Kodi mykodi18_18.0a1.1.qpkg and performed a manual install

But this is about as far as I can get.  With the HDMI connected, I can log into Kodi on the TV just fine.  When I go files/ videos and attempt  locate source I see nothing in any of the protocols resembling anything like a network.  I tried Windows, SMB, and only found my printer in the last location listed.

I can access the Qnap from windows and was able to upload videos to the NAS when I was using PLEX. , using the File Explorer.

At this point, I'm not sure how to connect Kodi to my network so that I can begin using it as a Media a server.

Be kind, I'm new here, and my NAS is only 5 days old! 

Thank You

No replies, but searching through this huge forum, I found a clue to get my movies into Kodi 18 finally!

In another thread somewhere, someone mentioned looking in the Root of the NAS.  I found Public, and inside that I found where I had been uploading a few test movies and subs.  Created the share link in Kodi and proceeded to settings for movies.  Testing all this seems to work, but I think Scraping needs a little work.

I still can't get the Qnap TS-451+ to see any network in Kodi, But Windows sees the Qnap, and for now, that's what I was trying to get working first.
Of coarse setting up the Qnap is most likely something to do with my lack of knowledge about the QNAP in the first place!
(2019-07-27, 07:50)Camel56 Wrote: No replies, but searching through this huge forum...

That's not very surprising considering most users in Europe were asleep (or drunk) during the last 7 hours.

Running Kodi directly off a NAS is a bit of uncharted territory for most of us. But the same basics apply: run the network and mysql database first, if you want other Kodi clients to also use the same media collection in your home. Using root folders in a NAS is not a good idea, as that is only to be accessed by the NAS itself (for obvious security reasons).
(2019-07-27, 08:03)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-07-27, 07:50)Camel56 Wrote: No replies, but searching through this huge forum...

That's not very surprising considering most users in Europe were asleep (or drunk) during the last 7 hours.

Running Kodi directly off a NAS is a bit of uncharted territory for most of us. But the same basics apply: run the network and mysql database first, if you want other Kodi clients to also use the same media collection in your home. Using root folders in a NAS is not a good idea, as that is only to be accessed by the NAS itself (for obvious security reasons). 
Not familiar with SQL.  Iv'e seen it in the NAS, but I don't know what to do with it.  I'll have to do a bit of research on that program to see what I need to do.

Thank you for you're reply.
You will only need MySQL if you want more than 1 Kodi client in your home to use the same metadata of your media collection, plus things like watched status and/or resume points.

If the above is not the case, and you only use the NAS as your Kodi player, then you will not need the MySQL setup, and just use the default local database files.
If your intending to run kodi on client devices, with your content hosted on the NAS, there's no need to install Kodi directly on the NAS itself. Simply upload your media to the NAS, preferably allocating a share to each media type, then create user accounts on the NAS that allow client users on remote systems to access that share or share(s), excluding access to those user accounts via the permissions section in QNAP's QTS, to user accounts whom you wish to restrict access to. Having different types of media on their own seperate share will make allowing access rights for individual remote users easier (media library segmentation).

Then, use Windows SMB networking, log into those share(s) via Windows Explorer at least once, with the user accounts you created prior on the NAS itself, opting to save credentials for that user on first login to make your life easier later on. You can then add those remote shares to each individual Kodi instance running on the remote system(s). Since you logged in via Windows Explorer prior (and saved credentials) using SMB Networking, you should not need to re-enter those credentials again within kodi, but each remote user will only be able to access content / shares, you have allowed that user to see using access permissions configured for that user / share on the NAS itself for that specific media category / share.

I think your probably under the misconception that Kodi works like Plex, with a "server" element running on the NAS, and client devices accessing it remotely. Kodi does not (yet) offer this functionality. Some people have Plex running on their NAS, with PlexKodiConnect or similar addons running on remote systems that act as a "bridge" between Kodi and Plex, but Kodi in and of itself, contains no native server element at this time.

For someone at your level i'd avoid the complications of running such a hybrid combination at this point. Also, Plex can be a bit of a resource hog when running off NAS devices, especially if transcoding video streams for remote access (i.e over the internet to your phone) or processing library updates. The CPUs present in most consumer-grade NAS devices are usually variants of Intel's Celeron CPU, and are simply a bit too weak to fulfill this role, especially when you have other add-ons / services running on the NAS alongside the media server (Plex) as well.

I've refrained from going into too much detail about all this here, but I run a similar setup to what I *think* your trying to achieve. If you would like some assistance in configuring your setup, since I run two QNAP NASes myself, feeding Kodi on three remote (Local LAN only) systems, feel free to PM me and i'll answer any questions you might have.

Hope this helps.

Smile

Dan / Gib.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some serious help with Kodi 18, Windows 10, and Qnap TS-451+0