• 2(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2019-07-28, 16:43)brazen1 Wrote: HDR engages/disengages when starting/stopping a title.
Unfortunately, this is true for SDR too.  It is not behaving for HDR titles exclusively.

Windows HDR is engaging and disengaging.  I have no evidence of nVidia being called for the duty nor how to check but Windows sure is.  I thought this was nVidia HDR exclusively?

The picture is too bright and washed out despite changing a few settings like software rendering.  Software rendering actually produces an unwatchable picture where pixel shaders or auto produces the too bright.  Windowed vs full screen has no affect although the panel does flash when toggling.

When I turn on Windows HDR, change renderer from madVR to default in MPC-BE settings, and play an HDR title from Windows Explorer, the picture looks pretty decent, not overly bright and washed out.  Way better than KODI VideoPlayer using this build.

Thanks for the quick feedback. 
We are moving forward. Previews build it would trigger HDR all the time and won't trigger off at all. 
Now it triggers HDR only when playing a movie and triggers it off. 

I call this progress Smile)

I need to fully understand what you are saying.
Have you tried to play an HDR movie and the colors seemed washed out?
Or does it look correct for HDR titles and obviously it looks bad for SDR?

The Nvidia API is triggered and windows sees it and set HDR on. 
As far as I understand this is the correct behavior.
Yes, colors are washed out when playing HDR titles even though Windows HDR is engaged.  Playing the same title solo using a different player without KODI involved and manually engaging Windows HDR prior looks better.  SDR titles obviously look terrible with Windows HDR engaged which is what's happening.  Same with using a player like DVDFab without madVR or LAV involved at all.  That player handles nVidia API and looks great using an early version of it.  The latest version using Windows API also looks great.  Both versions control HDR on/off and produce a very good picture.

When I use madVR, LAV Filters, and an external player with an HDR title, nVidia API engages HDR.  Windows HDR is not part of the equation.  It remains off during playback.  This is evident bringing up the madVR OSD.  It clearly shows when nVidia HDR is in use or O/S HDR is in use had I chose that implementation.  So, I understand this is the correct behavior.  The way you describe, nVidia API triggers O/S HDR instead.  I don't think this is correct.

O/S HDR is applied at title start and switched back off at title end.  This is progress but triggering the wrong API considering we want nVidia API, not Windows API.  Also needs to distinguish between SDR and HDR for triggering.  Then color desaturation in VideoPlayer vs external player can be addressed imo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-07-28, 17:14)brazen1 Wrote: Yes, colors are washed out when playing HDR titles even though Windows HDR is engaged.  Playing the same title solo using a different player without KODI involved and manually engaging Windows HDR prior looks better.  SDR titles obviously look terrible with Windows HDR engaged which is what's happening.

When I use madVR, LAV Filters, and an external player with an HDR title, nVidia API engages HDR.  Windows HDR is not part of the equation.  It remains off during playback.  This is evident bringing up the madVR OSD.  It clearly shows when nVidia HDR is in use or O/S HDR is in use had I chose that implementation.  So, I understand this is the correct behavior.  The way you describe, nVidia API triggers O/S HDR instead.  I don't think this is correct.

O/S HDR is applied at title start and switched back off at title end.  This is progress but triggering the wrong API considering we want nVidia API, not Windows API.  Also needs to distinguish between SDR and HDR for triggering.  Then color desaturation in VideoPlayer vs external player can be addressed imo.

Someone said to me that setting the DirectX output to 10bit would actually trigger Windows 10 HDR. 
I've changed a few settings on directX rendering to enable 10bit and a different color bit depth all the time. 

I've upload later today a different build with the DirectX part intact and the Nvidia portion still enabled. 
Maybe this fixes the Windows 10 being set all the time.

I'll post here and mark you and if you can,  please  test it again, your feedback is really appreciated.
Sure, I'll beta it.  More importantly, we appreciate your efforts.  Thank you.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-07-28, 17:27)brazen1 Wrote: Sure, I'll beta it.  More importantly, we appreciate your efforts.  Thank you.

I've compiled two builds one have the default directx rendering, this means to enable 10 bit output you need the advancedsettings.xml file with this added:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<advancedsettings>    
    <try10bitoutput>true</try10bitoutput>    
</advancedsettings>

Please, try once with it on and once with it off. 
This build should only trigger the nvidia api:

https://mega.nz/#!CdchxS5a!u-6lPYkHwgfRf...1QhTkn7fv0

This other build remove all the nvidia api but forces directx11 features and the 10bit output.
If somewhere windows added the detection of 10bit video this should trigger windows hdr.

https://mega.nz/#!CMEhgAAb!CEqR0r7E6rP3E...N0l5MoElFA

Also if you can please try with advancedsettings.xml 10bit on and off. 

This should give some direction if the colors are correct and windows is ruining something or if we already have HDR implemented.

Also I've sent a PM to @FernetMenta and an e-mail to @madshi becase I'm pretty sure one of them will know what is going on.
Got an reply from Madshi.

Getting proper hdr is a little more tricky than I had imagined.

When setting hdr the syntax is:
SetHdrMonitorMode(true, chromacitites, max luminance, min luminance, maxFall, MaxCLL)

All this information is present in the video file metadata.
One option would be use the Lav splitter and decoder code to get this, which is wayyyy... Over my head and is what Madshi uses with MadVR.

Luckily the DXVA code already strip this data.

So I need to include the DXVA header into video player and maybe adding those will work.

Just an update.
Updated to version 0.3, once again, need testers. 
Please @brazen1 test it if you can.

Changelog:
This version incorporates all the metadata stripped from the video frame. 
Had to move the entire code to windows/RendererBase.cpp

What I expect:
This version should enable HDR only on HDR content no matter the renderer. 
It should not enable HDR for SDR content. 
It should output the correct light levels, Minimum Mastered, Maximum Masteres, MaxCLL and MaxFALL. 

I still haven't figured out the colors with kodi so I've set BT.2020 as static for the moment. 

Please, test and let me know how it goes. 

https://mega.nz/#!rN9DlIrA!mlRPhpwzONtoO...EAa8VJyh-s
Fandangos, THANK YOU for your continuous work on Kodi HDR. I was able to spend just few minutes but wanted to share my experience -

1. Kodi 0.3 starts fine in SDR
2. When I start playing an HDR video, it switches to HDR mode. The TV detects it. Great job!
3. The video plays, but is very dark. Probably 5% of the actual brightness, barely visible
4. When I stop the video, the HDR doesn't switch off but Kodi looks plenty bright (unlike the actual video)
5. When I exit Kodi, HDR turns off

Tried with 3 separate videos and the above experience is consistent for me. Tried the same videos with the older version (Kody 17.6 w/ DS Player) and they played fine (bright). Will do more detailed testing tomorrow.

My System: Win10 1903 / GTX 1050 TI with 431.36 (color depth: 32-bit, Output: 8bpc, Output format: RGB, Dynamic range: full) / MadVR 0.92.17 / LG OLED E6
(2019-08-06, 05:32)rexian Wrote: Fandangos, THANK YOU for your continuous work on Kodi HDR. I was able to spend just few minutes but wanted to share my experience -

1. Kodi 0.3 starts fine in SDR
2. When I start playing an HDR video, it switches to HDR mode. The TV detects it. Great job!
3. The video plays, but is very dark. Probably 5% of the actual brightness, barely visible
4. When I stop the video, the HDR doesn't switch off but Kodi looks plenty bright (unlike the actual video)
5. When I exit Kodi, HDR turns off

Tried with 3 separate videos and the above experience is consistent for me. Tried the same videos with the older version (Kody 17.6 w/ DS Player) and they played fine (bright). Will do more detailed testing tomorrow.

My System: Win10 1903 / GTX 1050 TI with 431.36 (color depth: 32-bit, Output: 8bpc, Output format: RGB, Dynamic range: full) / MadVR 0.92.17 / LG OLED E6

Thanks for taking your time trying this build.
I forgot to set the turn off point but this is easy to do.

Have you tried to disable tone mapping, correct?

I just got a PM from Anton, the main Dev on Windows for Kodi. The requirements for this are getting more and more complicated.
I'll see what I can do when I get back from work.
Yes, I disabled tone mapping after starting the playback. Haven't quite figured how to disable tone mapping before starting but don't think this has an effect at the moment.

Tried a few more things and noticed that HDR isn't engaged for every HDR video. Here are the details -

1. https://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/

Engages HDR every time though the picture is dark

2. https://4kmedia.org/sony-bravia-uhd-hdr-4k-demo/

Never engages HDR, also very dark

3. https://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

This is a low bitrate demo and tried this thinking bitrate was the issue but even here the HDR never engages. Experience is the same as #2
(2019-08-07, 02:46)rexian Wrote: Tried a few more things and noticed that HDR isn't engaged for every HDR video. Here are the details -

This is a low bitrate demo and tried this thinking bitrate was the issue but even here the HDR never engages. Experience is the same as #2

I wouldn’t read too much into this. These demo clips are mp4 encoded which I have had trouble with as well even with a combination of madVR and mpc. They can be hit and miss.

Any UHD Blu-ray rip would typically be mkv encoded which works every time. I have ripped a couple dozen and would love to assist, just as long as I don’t need to give up Kodi 18. Too much breakage with v19. Is there a way to have both installed?
Scrap all that.
Nvapi is the only way to go within windows.
If it's included in the DX12 API does that mean that it would potentially work with AMD cards as well?
(2019-08-07, 12:40)allanp81 Wrote: If it's included in the DX12 API does that mean that it would potentially work with AMD cards as well?

I'm not sure to be honest.
Does HDR work with AMD in games or in any other way?
(2019-08-07, 05:59)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote:
(2019-08-07, 02:46)rexian Wrote: Tried a few more things and noticed that HDR isn't engaged for every HDR video. Here are the details -

I wouldn’t read too much into this. These demo clips are mp4 encoded which I have had trouble with as well even with a combination of madVR and mpc. They can be hit and miss.

Any UHD Blu-ray rip would typically be mkv encoded which works every time. I have ripped a couple dozen and would love to assist, just as long as I don’t need to give up Kodi 18. Too much breakage with v19. Is there a way to have both installed? 
MP4 is just the container, the video stream inside uses HEVC profile main 10 @5.1, just like many UHD BDs so I don't really see a difference. Since these are from reputed companies they are more likely to adhere to the standards than random videos on the internet, not to mention more easily available to the developer for debugging purposes. Also, #3 above uses MKV container.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9