• 7(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
I don't know, did not try all combinations. Fastest media is eMMC, then USB3.0 and uSD is slowest.

What I know: Android cannot boot from USB so it has to be installed on uSD or eMMC; CE can boot from USB, but I have not tried to install it from USB, so don't know if it works; I used USB to uSD adapter with my uSD card CE installation to run it from USB3.0 ports when I tested multi-boot. I had CE on USB(uSD), Ubuntu on uSD and Android on eMMC.
Some of this is over my head... will just do CoreELEC off mSD card to keep it simple for now. So, looks like I just need to burn the CE image to mSD, insert into mSD slot in N2, flip the SPI switch to MMC and power on?

Also reading that A1 or A2 class mSD is the way to go? Didn't even know these existed until now. I had just been using Samsung U1 class mSD.
Your U1 Samsung uSD is enough for normal use, and yes, after all you did to the uSD card just power on N2. Take care for initial install not to have any USB drive inserted, as then sometimes the install procedure does not start. Then you need to power off/on the box to start install...

Also, the safest way for me to successfully burn the image file to uSD card is via Etcher. It is the only program that NEVER failed me. With all others I sometimes had problems/errors...
Thanks again. May do EMMC later; looks like you can do installtoemmc w/CE (not sure if EMMC module needs to be formatted first).

Update... got it all set-up, and my impressions so far:
- Slightly faster than my S912 CoreELEC setup (installed to internal)
- HDR10+ files play/map fine in HDR mode
- No built-in Bluetooth (had not realized Bluetooth module, albeit cheap, needed to purchased separately)
- All ATMOS is passed as TrueHD; however DTS:X passes fine Resolved issue, by using 'Straight' instead of 'Neural:X' processing

That last part w/ATMOS not passing is a big issue... is it a known issue?
(2019-08-10, 19:32)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks again. May do EMMC later; looks like you can do installtoemmc w/CE (not sure if EMMC module needs to be formatted first).

Update... got it all set-up, and my impressions so far:
- Slightly faster than my S912 CoreELEC setup (installed to internal)
- HDR10+ files play/map fine in HDR mode
- No built-in Bluetooth (had not realized Bluetooth module, albeit cheap, needed to purchased separately)
- All ATMOS is passed as TrueHD; however DTS:X passes fine

That last part w/ATMOS not passing is a big issue... is it a known issue?

HDR10+ files aren’t mapping properly to HDR. It only outputs SDR
Oh, okay. My Optoma UHD51A switches to HDR mode like w/all other HDR videos. Didn't watch long enough to see if colors looked off.

With ATMOS, tried the latest nightly build, but still only getting TrueHD w/all ATMOS videos. (Resolved) A couple of posts on CE forum mention people getting ATMOS, but not working w/my Yamaha 3050 AVR. To date, not had any issues with Shield TV, S912 box, Zidoo, etc. properly outputting ATMOS.
(2019-08-09, 16:37)Sholander Wrote: Dual boot to what? Two OS-es mounted on same uSD card? Don't know if that is possible...
It's possible to install CE and Linux on same eMMC card, and have then dual boot via SPI-Petitboot. (Android OS cannot be used for this)

I was thinking about having both CoreELEC and a Linux desktop both on the same microSD card (as I don't have an eMMC card), and then dual booting those depending on what I want to do.

I guess I'll just try it when I'll have enough time and I'll let you know for future reference.
May I please ask owners of the Odroid N2 to try and see if it can correctly read exFAT formatted USB sticks?

If it does not, could you please try ext4 USB stick too?

I know for sure that CoreELEC reads NTFS, but I'd use it just as a last resort...
(2019-08-11, 17:07)DarkSphere00 Wrote: May I please ask owners of the Odroid N2 to try and see if it can correctly read exFAT formatted USB sticks?

I know for sure that CoreELEC reads NTFS, but I'd use it just as a last resort...

CoreElec and LibreElec both handle ExFAT external storage fine. I don't have an N2 - but ExFAT support is an OS-level issue, not a hardware issue, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work.
(2019-08-11, 17:07)DarkSphere00 Wrote: May I please ask owners of the Odroid N2 to try and see if it can correctly read exFAT formatted USB sticks?

No problem reading exFAT or ext4 drives.
Perfect, thank you @noggin and @wesk05!

I wasn't sure about exFAT implementation in CoreELEC since it's not that common by default in other Linux distributions, and the N2 in particular seems to be still in a beta stage so that's why I asked.

Well, I can rest assured now thanks again.
Think I'll be returning my N2. Can't get ATMOS to pass-through w/my Yamaha A3050 AVR. Found a user post on Odroid forum w/pics showing ATMOS working w/Yahama V585. But, doesn't work for me & I'm not going to buy a new AVR just for N2.
Nope; figured out issue.
(2019-08-13, 01:12)hdmkv Wrote: Think I'll be returning my N2. Can't get ATMOS to pass-through w/my Yamaha A3050 AVR. Found a user post on Odroid forum about a user w/Yahama V585 who shared pics of it working, but doesn't work for me & I'm not going to buy a new AVR just for N2.

I believe the problem is in the N2 rather than in the Yamaha.
My AVR is Denon, and I had the same issue, which however disappeared by itself in some unknown way.

Have you tried both mkvs and m2ts files, 1080p with hardware acceleration on and off?
Thanks... I've tried h/w on/off, 5.1 & 7.1 channels, toggling passthrough on/off. Doesn't work. Going back to S912 CE box.
Ignore; issue resolved.
(2019-08-13, 01:37)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks... I've tried h/w on/off, 5.1 & 7.1 channels, toggling passthrough on/off. Doesn't work. Going back to S912 CE box.

That's so strange though, I can't really imagine what the cause would be...
I initially believed hw acceleration as I mentioned, but after testing it again now Atmos works with that on too, so who knows what's going on with that...

It's a bit of a pity, as (in my case at least) the N2 is such a perfect box.
What's the available time window for the return? Maybe if you give the devs a bit more time with the nightlies it'll be fixed once and for all for you too, I hope at least.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4