• 7(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2019-08-19, 13:54)tripkip Wrote: Thank you for doing this!

Do you plan on merging your changes with Kodi master?

The HDR code was merged with Kodi Matrix 19.0 (master), check git, link available in the first post. It's only a fork.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
(2019-08-19, 13:54)tripkip Wrote: Thank you for doing this!

Do you plan on merging your changes with Kodi master?

Probably never will.
Because of the gpu manufacturers policy.

When I finish fixing libbluray compatibility I'll look into adding support for AMD.
But I really want the same compatibility as j river.

Edit: now I see what you meant.
I'll try to keep this build updated with all Kodi's main git branch changes.
Today it's just a few days behind.
Been keeping an eye on this for a while and finally it works for me as intended 

all my blu rays 4ks trigger HDR auto on playback and look great.

Had to use DXVA as renderer tho as software all i got was a blue crazy picture 

set Nvida to out put full RGB 12 bits as also in kodi video settings output to full

finally HDR10 using my beloved Kodi player many thanks for the great work on this.
Ogh using 2.2b

Latest Nvidia drivers also Windows build 10 build 18362.295
(2019-08-19, 13:07)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-08-19, 08:18)IceGu Wrote:
(2019-07-21, 18:59)fandangos Wrote:
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition.

This version aims to bring support for full HDR10 pass through on Windows 10 using Nvidia GPUs. 

Version 2.2b 

Updated FFmpeg to 4.3r94501

Releases are now available on github.

Version 2.2:

10 bit output set to true by default - no need for advancedsettings.xml anymore
Tone mapping set to off by default - no need to change anything in video settings
Install comes now packed with libbluray 1.1.2.

Out of all UHD BD menus I tested only 2001 a space odyssey had some problems.

version: 2.1
Updated with Kodi git up to 8/16/2019
Improved compatibility of HDR with UHD BD Menus.
Updated link below with Libbluray 1.1.2

Download link:
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition version 2.2:

https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc/releases/

Instructions:
Install and start kodi

For BD-J playback you will need java runtime environment 8.
Download it from the official java website here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/

Source code:
https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc

Comparison: OPPO 203 vs Kodi HDR EditonImageImage

Special thanks to:
fritsch
Anton @afedchin 
Mathias @madshi 
Wanilton @Wanilton

Disclaimer:
This is a not-for-profit open source project. 
No proprietary code is available or shipped with this software.
Aditional files needed to properly compile this project needs to be supplied by the end user. 
This project has absolute no connection with any GPU manufacture company, it's not endorsed and uses no logo or name of any company and will stay this way.   

This Matrix HDR Edition of kodi is really cool, I tested output 4K HDR passthrough metedata to 4K display monitor on my HTPC(GTX 1080)and UHD BD Menu,everything works fine.(Java Runtime Environment 8 and x64 version is necessary)
There is a bug feedback to you,When play a 4K movie(ISO or BDMV floder)the subtitles  in the UHD menu mode seem to be changed only through the original menu, can not be changed by the kodi subtitle setting. If you do not read the UHD menu, you will not have this problem with the main movie mode. Subtitles can be switched at will.  

I'm testing different Java version and different support for uhd bd menu.

J river uses Java 7u80 but if I try to use this one Kodi and libbluray are unable to detect it.

Can you please post exactly what Java version you installed, the file name.

Also can you post a screenshot of you windows 10 path variables
You can see how to access it and pictures here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/javatutoria...ows-10/amp

Really appreciate the help moving forward.  

My Java version is Version 8 Update 221, the file name is jre-8u221-windows-x64.exe, but I didn't set any JAVA_HOME Environment variable on my Win10 OS, just installed it.
(2019-08-19, 08:18)IceGu Wrote:
(2019-07-21, 18:59)fandangos Wrote:
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition.

This version aims to bring support for full HDR10 pass through on Windows 10 using Nvidia GPUs. 

Version 2.2b 

Updated FFmpeg to 4.3r94501

Releases are now available on github.

Version 2.2:

10 bit output set to true by default - no need for advancedsettings.xml anymore
Tone mapping set to off by default - no need to change anything in video settings
Install comes now packed with libbluray 1.1.2.

Out of all UHD BD menus I tested only 2001 a space odyssey had some problems.

version: 2.1
Updated with Kodi git up to 8/16/2019
Improved compatibility of HDR with UHD BD Menus.
Updated link below with Libbluray 1.1.2

Download link:
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition version 2.2:

https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc/releases/

Instructions:
Install and start kodi

For BD-J playback you will need java runtime environment 8.
Download it from the official java website here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/

Source code:
https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc

Comparison: OPPO 203 vs Kodi HDR EditonImageImage

Special thanks to:
fritsch
Anton @afedchin 
Mathias @madshi 
Wanilton @Wanilton

Disclaimer:
This is a not-for-profit open source project. 
No proprietary code is available or shipped with this software.
Aditional files needed to properly compile this project needs to be supplied by the end user. 
This project has absolute no connection with any GPU manufacture company, it's not endorsed and uses no logo or name of any company and will stay this way.  

This Matrix HDR Edition of kodi is really cool, I tested output 4K HDR passthrough metedata to 4K display monitor on my HTPC(GTX 1080)and UHD BD Menu,everything works fine.(Java Runtime Environment 8 and x64 version is necessary)
There is a bug feedback to you,When play a 4K movie(ISO or BDMV floder)the subtitles  in the UHD menu mode seem to be changed only through the original menu, can not be changed by the kodi subtitle setting. If you do not read the UHD menu, you will not have this problem with the main movie mode. Subtitles can be switched at will. 

Test on 2.2b, the subtitles' bug simliar be solved, but the audio track still can not be changed by kodi audio setting in UHD BD Menu mode.
Ok thanks for the feedback on JAVA.

Let me say this before you guys put your hopes on me fixing those audio/subtitles menu issues.
I'm trying to update libbluray properly and have menus to be rendered the way it should.

Those navigations and compatibility side of code, it's Ace's work. I have absolute no knowledge on this.

If you guys need to change audio and subtitles while in uhd bd mode, try to press M and change from outside the bd menu and change it with Kodi's settings.
I’ve registered just to say Thank You fandangos. We all need that illusive HDR and Kodi ver. 17 DSPlayer never worked properly on my computer. This Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition does work just fine.
Thank You.
Took a few hours looking at logs and figuring things out what I can say for uhd bd menu support is:
  • Java versions do not matter, except 9+ that are not supported. Use 7 or 8 and you should be fine. 
  • Version 7 needs JAVA_HOME to be set manually 
  • The very few UHD BD Menus that do work with J River / VLC do because of different video decoder. FFmpeg doesn't like the background menu of a few discs.
  •  I have updated FFmpeg to the latest one released yesterday, bug is the same.
So, can't do anything about it and it's just a few movies. To be honest during my tests only 2001 Space Odyssey. 

Said all that I'll start looking into AMD HDR support. I don't own an AMD gpu so I'll need beta testers. No promises when but should be fast because it seems very similar to Nvidia way of doing it.
(2019-08-19, 14:13)kikassridec2 Wrote: set Nvida to out put full RGB 12 bits as also in kodi video settings output to full

Don’t do this. Set it to RGB Full 8-bits to maintain best colour accuracy and highest refresh rate when in SDR mode.

If set up correctly it will automatically switch to ycbcr 4:2:2 10-bits when HDR mode is engaged.

You’re limiting yourself if you force 10/12-bits at RGB Full settings. Kodi menu navigation will be laggy due to low refresh rates, etc.
(2019-08-20, 01:26)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote:
(2019-08-19, 14:13)kikassridec2 Wrote: set Nvida to out put full RGB 12 bits as also in kodi video settings output to full

Don’t do this. Set it to RGB Full 8-bits to maintain best colour accuracy and highest refresh rate when in SDR mode.

If set up correctly it will automatically switch to ycbcr 4:2:2 10-bits when HDR mode is engaged.

You’re limiting yourself if you force 10/12-bits at RGB Full settings. 

But you are talking about a PC.

I once had the same way of thinking as you, I recommend reading the amazing post by Madshi here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

This section:
A) Which output format (RGB vs YCbCr, 0-255 vs 16-235) should I activate in my GPU control panel?

Windows internally always "thinks" in RGB 0-255. Windows considers black to be 0 and white to be 255. That applies to the desktop, applications, games and videos. Windows itself never really thinks in terms of YCbCr or 16-235. Windows does know that videos might be YCbCr or 16-235, but still, all rendering is always done at RGB 0-255. (The exception proves the rule.)

So if you switch your GPU control panel to RGB 0-255, the GPU receives RGB 0-255 from Windows, and sends RGB 0-255 to the TV. Consequently, the GPU doesn't have to do any colorspace (RGB -> YCbCr) or range (0-255 -> 16-235) conversions. This is the best setup, because the GPU won't damage our precious pixels.

If you switch your GPU control panel to RGB 16-235, the GPU receives RGB 0-255 from Windows, but you ask the GPU to send 16-235 to the TV. Consequently, the GPU has to stretch the pixel data behind Windows' back in such a way that a black pixel is no longer 0, but now 16. And a white pixel is no longer 255, but now 235. So the pixel data is condensed from 0-255 to 16-235, and all the values between 0-15 and 236-255 are basically unused. Some GPU drivers might do this in high bitdepth with dithering, which may produce acceptable results. But some GPU drivers definitely do this in 8bit without any dithering which will introduce lots of nasty banding artifacts into the image. As a result I cannot recommend this configuration.

If you switch your GPU control panel to YCbCr, the GPU receives RGB from Windows, but you ask the GPU to send YCbCr to the TV. Consequently, the GPU has to convert the RGB pixels behind Windows' back to YCbCr. Some GPU drivers might do this in high bitdepth with dithering, which may produce acceptable results. But some GPU drivers definitely do this in 8bit without any dithering which will introduce lots of nasty banding artifacts into the image. Furthermore, there are various different RGB <-> YCbCr matrixes available. E.g. there's one each for BT.601, BT.709 and BT.2020. Now which of these will the GPU use for the conversion? And which will the TV use to convert back to RGB? If the GPU and the TV use different matrixes, color errors will be introduced. As a result I cannot recommend this configuration.

Summed up: In order to get the best possible image quality, I strongly recommend to set your GPU control panel to RGB Full (0-255).

There's one problem with this approach: If your TV doesn't have an option to switch between 0-255 and 16-235, it may always expect black to be 16 (TVs usually default to 16-235 while computer monitors usually default to 0-255). But we've just told the GPU to output black at 0! That can't work, can it? Actually, it can, surprisingly - but only for video content. You can tell madVR to render to 16-235 instead of 0-255. This way madVR will make sure that black pixels get a pixel value of 16, but the GPU doesn't know about it, so the GPU can't screw image quality up for us. So if your TV absolutely requires to receive black as 16, then still set your GPU control panel to RGB 0-255 and set madVR to 16-235. If your GPU supports 0-255, then set everything (GPU control panel, TV and madVR) to 0-255.

Unfortunately, if you want application and games to have correct black & white levels, too, all the above advice might not work out for you. If your TV doesn't support RGB 0-255, then somebody somewhere has to convert applications and games from 0-255 to 16-235, so your TV displays black & white correctly. madVR can only do this for videos, but madVR can't magically convert applications and games for you. So in this situation you may have no other choice than to set your GPU control panel to RGB 16-235 or to YCbCr. But please be aware of that you might get lower image quality this way, because the GPU will have to convert the pixels behind the back of both Windows and madVR, and GPU drivers often do this in inferior quality.
@fandangos

Fully agree in that RGB Full is the best choice, however that means 8-bits if you intend to run your desktop at 60hz. You cannot do RGB Full 10-bits or above at 60hz due to bandwidth limitations.

So my advice is to go RGB Full 8-bits for standard desktop usage and match these settings in Kodi (0-255) and your TV (black level set to high in my case). This means the entire chain is set to full range. When your display switches to HDR it will then automatically engage 10-bits 4:2:2 subsampling on the PC for proper movie playback.

So you get the best of both worlds. It works a charm with your Kodi fork.
Yes, hdmi 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth for 60hz RGB full dynamic range (0-255) 12 bits and HDR on top of all that. 

But it can at 23hz (23.976 fps for movies).

The way I do here is, using nvidia control panel I set refresh rate to 23hz at 4k using specif color format: RGB, 12 bits full dynamic range. 
Apply and revert back to 60hz for desktop usage. The control panel will set 8bits because it can't do 12bits. 

This means that while on my desktop I'll be at 8bits but whenever a software changes the refresh to 23hz it reverts back to the previews selected format. 

This will, to my understand, give the best possible picture using a PC.
Ok, I believe we’re talking about the same thing then. Whether the PC switches to RGB Full 12-bits at 23hz or YCbcR shouldn’t matter as movies only understand 4:2:0 / 4:2:2 anyway so there is conversion involved one way or another.

Most importantly, users should refrain from running their desktops at 23hz for normal usage because that is redundant.
For me i have good option:
screen 1080p & 4:4:4 
Then my AVR-Pioneer upscale to 4K

23hz = Slow kodi menu 
RGB Full= too dark via OLED c7
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9