How to separate watched / unwatched movies (node issue)
Hello !

What I have : a folder with watched movies, a folder with movies to watch.

What I'd like :
-> in Kodi, choose a movie within all movies (regardless of watched status)
-> in Kodi, choose a movie only in unwatched movies.

What I tried :
-> nfo files (made with Ember Media Manager) with the watched status. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't seem to care about. Maybe I edited the nfo after the movie was imported in Kodi (As I know, Kodi reads once and for all the nfo, changing it after that is useless). I really need to set watched / unwatched even after importing (and outside Kodi).
-> add a custom filter. Didn't find how to do that. A useful filter to achieve that doesn't seem to exist (not in the possible filters list - I think about a path filter, see below why).

What I think it's a better idea : make a custom node.

Given that my files are already sorted between watched / unwatched on my NAS, I consider adding a node named "movies to watch" (brilliant ! Big Grin)

I added a node, following the wiki's library node editor add on ("limit content by path" -> https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Library_No...nt_by_path)

After several attempts, I finally had a new category (besides "recently added"), but when I click on it, I can choose e.g genres and if I do..... all I have is all movies within this genre and not movies within the path (and genre).

All others attempts I did were unsuccessful. I mean, nothing appeared nowhere. No new node. I rebooted Kodi between attempts.

What did I miss ?

That said, if there is another way to sort watched / unwatched movies easily (outside Kodi, in bulk), I'd be glad to hear your workarounds Smile
It's the only thing that I still have to set on my Kodi. Everything else seems great, especially the scraping when you understand how to sort and name your folders.

Thanks A LOT :-)
(2019-08-25, 18:38)Bifidusse Wrote: What I'd like :
Use the All Videos / Watched / Unwatched option from the Sideblade Menu... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Sideblade_Menu

(2019-08-25, 18:38)Bifidusse Wrote: nfo files (made with Ember Media Manager) with the watched status. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't seem to care about
Most Media Managers are not fully compatible with Kodi. You will need to speak the the media manager developer to figure out the problem.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-08-26, 01:11)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-08-25, 18:38)Bifidusse Wrote: What I'd like :
Use the All Videos / Watched / Unwatched option from the Sideblade Menu... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls#Sideblade_Menu
(2019-08-25, 18:38)Bifidusse Wrote: nfo files (made with Ember Media Manager) with the watched status. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn't seem to care about
Most Media Managers are not fully compatible with Kodi. You will need to speak the the media manager developer to figure out the problem. 

Thank you Karellen Smile

I'll try again with a movie nfoed before importing (in case that's the issue). If not working, I'll try to know if nfo's made by Ember could be read by Kodi.

What do you think about the node idea/issue ?
(2019-08-26, 09:43)Bifidusse Wrote: I'll try to know if nfo's made by Ember could be read by Kodi.
Upload the contents of one of your nfo files to Kodi Paste Site and I will spot what is wrong with it so you can speak to the developer with the correct information.

I am not a big user of nodes but I assume it is possible. I tend to go the easy route and use a Smart Playlist. Are you aware of them?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-08-26, 09:54)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-08-26, 09:43)Bifidusse Wrote: I'll try to know if nfo's made by Ember could be read by Kodi.
Upload the contents of one of your nfo files to Kodi Paste Site and I will spot what is wrong with it so you can speak to the developer with the correct information.

I am not a big user of nodes but I assume it is possible. I tend to go the easy route and use a Smart Playlist. Are you aware of them? 
I just know they exist, but I never tried them.

I tend to see playlists as something "fixed in time" you have to modify manually if something changes. But as they are smart, I'm probably wrong. I'll give them a try ;-)
(2019-08-26, 11:07)Bifidusse Wrote: I tend to see playlists as something "fixed in time" you have to modify manually if something changes. But as they are smart,
They are dynamic lists, so they adjust themselves as your library changes.

It is a bit out of date, and using images from the old skin, but it should give you an idea... Smart playlists (wiki)
My Signature
(2019-08-26, 11:50)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-08-26, 11:07)Bifidusse Wrote: I tend to see playlists as something "fixed in time" you have to modify manually if something changes. But as they are smart,
They are dynamic lists, so they adjust themselves as your library changes.

It is a bit out of date, and using images from the old skin, but it should give you an idea... Smart playlists (wiki) 
I tried yesterday. Smart playlists seems to be a good option for what I'm looking for.

I created a smart playlist with a path rule and a genre based sorting.

Now, when I click on the smart playlist, I have a list of genres with, inside them, only movies stored in the predefined path.

Nice :-)

Unfortunately, Kodi displays a movie which WAS in the pathed folder before I created the playlist (but was moved the day before I created the playlist). It stays displayed even after database cleaning / reboot of Kodi.

I hadn't time yesterday to investigate more. I'll try with a fresh folder.

Next time : tags, to create a sort of meta genre without creating out of TVMB genres with nfo's ;-)
(2019-08-27, 13:43)Bifidusse Wrote: Unfortunately, Kodi displays a movie which WAS in the pathed folder before I created the playlist
Did you delete it from the library? Depending on your setup, running a Clean library may not remove deleted titles. It is part of a safety measure to ensure that people that disconnect external drives do not accidentally wipe their library.

If you want to delete a movie, then delete the title first from the library, don't just delete the files and expect kodi to know what you are trying to do.
My Signature
(2019-08-27, 22:12)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-08-27, 13:43)Bifidusse Wrote: Unfortunately, Kodi displays a movie which WAS in the pathed folder before I created the playlist
Did you delete it from the library? Depending on your setup, running a Clean library may not remove deleted titles. It is part of a safety measure to ensure that people that disconnect external drives do not accidentally wipe their library.

If you want to delete a movie, then delete the title first from the library, don't just delete the files and expect kodi to know what you are trying to do. 

Yes, I remember now, I already had the problem the last time I tried Kodi. I remember I had to delete the movie from the library after moving it from the source (I read a post here about that).

Is there a way to change this behaviour ? I mean, a way to force Kodi to reflect what files are on my disk, and then deleting the files from the library if they're not anymore in the monitored sources ?

I use MusicBee to manage music (for some functions I didn't find / was not able to configure in Kodi). If I delete a file, it displays a warning when I open / clean the library, asking me if I want tot delete the library's entry (of that file). Same message if I forgot to boot the NAS (MusicBee's database is on my NAS).

If I move the Kodi's database on the NAS (e.g, in the monitored source), would I have a different behaviour ?

I'm asking because as my files are in two sources, one for watched items, the second one for unwatched items. I'll move files from one to another several times a week, and I'm pretty sure I'll forget to delete them from the library when I did so.

Or will I have a "no file entry" only if I delete a file but not if I move a file from a monitored source to another one ?

Again, thank you :-)
(2019-08-28, 15:50)Bifidusse Wrote: Is there a way to change this behaviour ? I mean, a way to force Kodi to reflect what files are on my disk, and then deleting the files from the library if they're not anymore in the monitored sources ?
No. That requires changes to the core code.

(2019-08-28, 15:50)Bifidusse Wrote: I'm asking because as my files are in two sources, one for watched items, the second one for unwatched items. I'll move files from one to another several times a week, and I'm pretty sure I'll forget to delete them from the library when I did so.
Personally, I would seriously consider changing this behaviour. Kodi can handle watched status, so there is no need to keep your 1990's era workflow

(2019-08-28, 15:50)Bifidusse Wrote: Or will I have a "no file entry" only if I delete a file but not if I move a file from a monitored source to another one ?
Honestly I don't know. Test it and see what happens.
My Signature
(2019-08-25, 18:38)Bifidusse Wrote: Hello !

What I have : a folder with watched movies, a folder with movies to watch.

What I'd like :

node
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node type="filter">
    <label>watched movies</label>
    <content>movies</content>
    <order direction="ascending">sorttitle</order>
    <group>none</group>
    <limit>25</limit>
    <rule field="playcount" operator="greaterthan">
        <value>0</value>
    </rule>
</node>

for unwatched it would be <rule field="playcount" operator=" lessthen 1
So...

1990's workflow (you're rude ! Rofl ) : I agree it's a little bit too "BMP is a great format", but it was not supposed to be a "foldered database". That was just an easy way to sort things without any manager.

Node with a xml : thanks, that works ! Easier for me to create a node with a text file (text files already existed in 1990 - I guess). I could create a node for unwatched items, with a path rule, displayed on the movies menu. I probably could do the same with playlists, but as they are similar for what I wanted to achieve, and I succeeded to sort unwatched movies with a node displayed on the movies menu, node I've chosen.

Other sorting : another path-based rule for sub-genre like "Movies that take place in NY". Works as a node, but I'll probably make a playlist instead. Node or playlist doesn't change lot of things for me now, as I just have to "tag" folders to achieve what I want to do, easily (I really like information stored with files, regardless of database, but with the ability to easily create a database with these informations).

Watched status : I'll let Kodi manage that (more 2019's Big Grin )

Deleting files : my mistake, I mixed up updating / cleaning. Cleaning the library does what I want : deleted / moved files disappear from the library. That said it seems (didn't try) possible to update and clean at the same time : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329251

Playing a movie using madvr filters (I know, was not the question, but now you know you've helped another user to use Kodi ;-)). I have 2 possibilities :
- play files with external (mpc-hc) player (works, watched status a little bit basic but functional) - amazing thread here : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596;
- install Krypton instead of Leia and keep all Kodi's functions (with the DSplayer version of Kodi 17).

I use a wireless keyboard with touchpad, so a htpc completely manageable with a regular remote is not something I really want (I mean, if I have to open a contextual menu to change subtitles, that's ok).

I'm pretty sure I'll have other issues managing / playing files like I want, but as far as I know, I can now start using Kodi as my movie manager.

Thank you both for your help ! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to separate watched / unwatched movies (node issue)0