v18 Music fullscreen: return back to list takes a lot of time
Hello,

when changing from Kodi 17 to 18 (and I was an early adopter tryinig all the prereleases also), I am experiencing the following issue on both Amazon Fire TV stick as well as Raspberry Pi 3:

I usually playback music in "File mode", so I have some mounted folders on my NAS, where I access MP3 files. Usually one album (10 to 20 songs) persist in one folder. When I playback music, everything works smoothly. But as soon as I enter fullscreen mode (for example to display lyrics using the CU lyrics plugin, but also without lyrics, only displaying a black screen), switching back from fullscren to the folder list takes up to 10 seconds, and this is really annoying because on Kodi 17, switching back from fullscreen to the music list was really instantly, using the same hardware setup.

Can anybody explain why enetering fullscreen and then getting back to the file list takes such a huge amount of time in Kodi 18?
Can nobody at least reproduce this behaviour?
Moved to music
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Jackie78 not sure what you mean by switching from the file list to full screen, can you explain more (preferably doing it without involving any plugin)?
(2019-08-11, 08:35)DaveBlake Wrote: @Jackie78 not sure what you mean by switching from the file list to full screen, can you explain more (preferably doing it without involving any plugin)?
Sure. Here are the steps to reproduce:
1.) Open any music file in folder-mode for playback (brwose to that folder, and select the file of your choice by pressing "Enter")
2.) Go to fullscreen mode
3.) Exit from fullscreen mode back to the file list by pressing the back-button

Point 3 takes several seconds on my fire tv (sometimes only 2 or 3, sometimes 5 or 6), which is significantly longer than in previous builds. However, on the Windows-verison this is still quick, so I expect this to be somewhat specific to the ARM implementation?
Sorry but I have no idea what you mean by "go to fullscreen mode". Kodi is always full screen on a RPi, although you can switch on Windows and OSX to run in a smaller window, but I don't think you mean that. Perhaps a screenshot would help?
(2019-08-12, 00:07)DaveBlake Wrote: Sorry but I have no idea what you mean by "go to fullscreen mode". Kodi is always full screen on a RPi, although you can switch on Windows and OSX to run in a smaller window, but I don't think you mean that. Perhaps a screenshot would help?

in the music playlist, bring up the side menu [views - lock - search - refresh - playlist etc...] Bottom option (or Far right option for some skins), fullscreen mode (Its the same screen you get if when playing music you back all the way up as far as you can go)
@DaveBlake fullscreen mode = visualisation window
Ah right, slowness when going back off the visualisation screen. I think it is an unwanted side effect of the major application/GUI interaction changes that were made in v18, and it is not something trivial to unpick and fix. Despite the list of things to display being cached already they get fetched again and re-cached which takes time. It is something I hope to look at for v19, and if my some miracle I find a fix for v18 I will of course try to backport. But it is an area where half-arsed changes are more likely to break other things.

Sorry, I'm sure not the response you wanted @Jackie78. I would encourage you to do 2 things: use the music library, and possibly use a remote app like Yatse to drive Kodi (it has all the filtering faciliities that make the library nice to use and none of the slow issues the Kodi GUI has).
(2019-08-12, 08:48)DaveBlake Wrote: Ah right, slowness when going back off the visualisation screen. I think it is an unwanted side effect of the major application/GUI interaction changes that were made in v18, and it is not something trivial to unpick and fix. Despite the list of things to display being cached already they get fetched again and re-cached which takes time. It is something I hope to look at for v19, and if my some miracle I find a fix for v18 I will of course try to backport. But it is an area where half-arsed changes are more likely to break other things.

Sorry, I'm sure not the response you wanted @Jackie78. I would encourage you to do 2 things: use the music library, and possibly use a remote app like Yatse to drive Kodi (it has all the filtering faciliities that make the library nice to use and none of the slow issues the Kodi GUI has).
Thanks for the open and clear words, so it's not only my fault missing soemthing. Well, I use Kodi mainly during my excersises, so I need a "real" remote control, touch doesn#t work well with sweaty hands. So I think I will get back to v17 untlis this is fixed Sad Honestly, I understand that these things can happen during major redesigns, but I guess more testing would be really helpful. After all, I have the feeling Kodi devs are brilliant at adding new video / home cinema features, but the other aspects like music playback, and also image viewing (extremely slow, sometimes crashes with big image files) seem to suffer. This is a pitty, since there are no real alternatives for the RasPi oder FireTV...
(2019-08-27, 09:25)Jackie78 Wrote: Honestly, I understand that these things can happen during major redesigns, but I guess more testing would be really helpful.
Yes, and it is something that users can get involved and contribute. I will add that I didn't make the changes that underlie this regression, and that with my work I do encourage as much user involvement as I can get. Although things can still go wrong, and I'm here to fix when they do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music fullscreen: return back to list takes a lot of time0