2160 stutters
Just finished a fresh installation of Kodi 18.3 on a fresh Ubuntu 19.04, on my not so fresh NUC (Intel® Core™ i5-4250U CPU @ 1.30GHz)

I expected enough juice to play 216 videos fine. Instead I get stuttering playback, some buffering, and 300% cpu load.

Any idea what can make playback better (other than new hardware)?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan
you expect a 6 years old mobile cpu to software decode 4k? eh. no.

you need lower resolution and use of a codec that the hw supports (likely only h264).
If you have no desire to update the hardware you can consider a video card that can do this as an add on.  Back in the day, nvidia via VDPAU would do it but I am not sure what is a current option that has some future proof with it.  Thought I read somewhere that VDPAU was going away in something shortly.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2019-08-30, 19:33)graysky Wrote:  you can consider a video card that can do this as an add on
Good luck attaching a video card to an old NUC
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...50wyk.html
Quote:PCI Express Revision: Gen2

PCI Express Configurations: Half-length MiniPCI card with PCIe x1 lane
Ha, I missed the NUC part.  Time to update hardware I suppose.
So, it is a hardware issue. Thanks, I guess it's time to upgrade.
What kind of processor should I be looking at? What kind of graphics engine?
Dan
Something with hardware HEVC decoding for sure.
(2019-08-31, 17:54)dbbd Wrote: What kind of processor should I be looking at? What kind of graphics engine?
That depends on your "use case". Should it be another Intel-based x86-64 machine, will an 'Android-box' be sufficient as well?
Will you need HDR or not, will you need the new pc to play games as well..?
Just paint us your wish list (not forgetting your budget).
(2019-08-31, 18:45)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-08-31, 17:54)dbbd Wrote: What kind of processor should I be looking at? What kind of graphics engine?
That depends on your "use case". Should it be another Intel-based x86-64 machine, will an 'Android-box' be sufficient as well?
Will you need HDR or not, will you need the new pc to play games as well..?
Just paint us your wish list (not forgetting your budget).
Dan
It's a Kodi only box. I prefer Linux since I'm a Linux guy, but Android would work. I read that fire stick 4K is a decent option, but I do not know if it will work with nfs, since that's what my file server does (it will do cifs if it must).
Dan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2160 stutters0