Connection failed...No response from MythTV backend...Do you want to retry?
did you ever run mythtv-setup to configure the backend?
(2019-09-09, 06:51)Klojum Wrote: Not really. It depends a bit on your router, because that is where the action happens. Which router are you using?

ARRIS NVG510 (it says Motorola on the actual router).  AT&T is the IP.  Thanks for your interest in this issue :-)  Thanks,
M
(2019-09-09, 15:20)disaacso Wrote: did you ever run mythtv-setup to configure the backend?

I am in the process...apparently one should install Mythtv before Kodi so I did it first having it as a server open to the internet and it never gave me the option to put a password in it AND I couldn't configure mysql (spelling ?) after the aforementioned was downloaded.  Soooo, I am doing it again
(2019-09-09, 15:56)mrgta67 Wrote: ARRIS NVG510
I can't really find a good screenshot of the necessary screen(s), but there should be a section where you can combine a static ip address to a particular MAC address. Every network device has its own unique MAC address, like a fingerprint. When you find each of the necessary MAC addresses, you can combine them with one of the available IP addresses in the DHCP pool. Those are the addresses that are issued to your network devices by your router.
(2019-09-09, 16:54)Klojum Wrote:
I can't really find a good screenshot of the necessary screen(s), but there should be a section where you can combine a static ip address to a particular MAC address. Every network device has its own unique MAC address, like a fingerprint. When you find each of the necessary MAC addresses, you can combine them with one of the available IP addresses in the DHCP pool. Those are the addresses that are issued to your network devices by your router. 
Hi K,
Been researching more and found this: http://blog.rectorsquid.com/static-ip-on-att-nvg510/
I am having a hard time due to several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses.  The only thing I can find is DHCPv4 Start Address with the last number being .64 and DHCPv4 End Address being .253.  where are these 8 static addressesHuh   I still have a little hair on my head...
Does this need to be done before installing a MythTv backend?
Thanks,
M
(2019-09-09, 17:11)mrgta67 Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 16:54)Klojum Wrote:
Hi K,
Been researching more and found this: http://blog.rectorsquid.com/static-ip-on-att-nvg510/
I am having a hard time due to several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses.  The only thing I can find is DHCPv4 Start Address with the last number being .64 and DHCPv4 End Address being .253.  where are these 8 static addressesHuh   I still have a little hair on my head...
Does this need to be done before installing a MythTv backend?
Thanks,
Those 189 DHCPv4 addresses were found on my router's Home Network/DHCP Server section.
(2019-09-09, 17:11)mrgta67 Wrote: several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses.
8 static addresses for servers should be more than enough.

(2019-09-09, 17:11)mrgta67 Wrote: The only thing I can find is DHCPv4 Start Address with the last number being .64 and DHCPv4 End Address being .253.
That is likely to be the size of your DHCP pool, from which IP addresses are picked and sent out to connected network hardware. ATT hardware may be neutered in a way.
(2019-09-09, 17:54)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 17:11)mrgta67 Wrote: several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses.
(2019-09-09, 17:11)mrgta67 Wrote: The only thing I can find is DHCPv4 Start Address with the last number being .64 and DHCPv4 End Address being .253.
That is likely to be the size of your DHCP pool, from which IP addresses are picked and sent out to connected network hardware. ATT hardware may be neutered in a way. 
Were you able to check the link and have an idea how I should proceed?
(2019-09-09, 18:05)mrgta67 Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 17:54)Klojum Wrote:
Were you able to check the link and have an idea how I should proceed? 
Is there any way I can send you either a screenshot, or even better, a saved HTML of my actual subnet & dhcp page?  I have both ready to go!
M
(2019-09-09, 20:15)mrgta67 Wrote: Is there any way I can send you either a screenshot

Screenshots can provided by using the 'i' button in the forum editor menu.
Your image will be uploaded automagically to imgur.com .
Excuse me for butting in but you don't need to assign a static IP to your PC if myth-tv, mysql and Kodi will all be running on the same machine.  Just use 127.0.0.1 (which is the loop-back address and means 'connect back to this pc') and leave all the port settings alone.   You seem to be at cross-purposes here, with @Klojum talking about internal IP addresses whereas @mrgta67 seems to be talking about external IP addresses (based upon his comment of "several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses").  They will be external so that you can access your kit from the wider internet and are not needed for this.

Also, (and I can't review the first page of the thread to know if I've remembered correctly!!) but you should be installing the 'mythtv' package, as opposed to 'mythtv-backend'.  The backend package does not install or set up the database for you whereas the full mythtv package does, including installing MySql and any other required dependencies.  It also installs the mythtv-frontend.  Once it's all installed, run /usr/bin/mythtv-setup to start the setup.

[V28]
Local Backend = 127.0.0.1
Master Backend = 127.0.0.1
Security Pin = 0000

[V29]
Security Pin = 0000
Listen on all IP addresses = checked
Primary IP address / DNS name = 127.0.0.1
This server is the Master Backend = checked

Don't change any of the port numbers and then continue with configuring your locale settings (tv broadcast type, channel frequency table, etc).

HTH
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-09-09, 20:30)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 20:15)mrgta67 Wrote: Is there any way I can send you either a screenshot

Screenshots can provided by using the 'i' button in the forum editor menu.
Your image will be uploaded automagically to imgur.com . 
Boy oh boy....took me a while but I finally figured out where the forum editor menu is...
OK here it is: Image
(2019-09-09, 21:32)black_eagle Wrote: Excuse me for butting in but you don't need to assign a static IP to your PC if myth-tv, mysql and Kodi will all be running on the same machine.  Just use 127.0.0.1 (which is the loop-back address and means 'connect back to this pc') and leave all the port settings alone.   You seem to be at cross-purposes here, with @Klojum talking about internal IP addresses whereas @mrgta67 seems to be talking about external IP addresses (based upon his comment of "several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses").  They will be external so that you can access your kit from the wider internet and are not needed for this.

Also, (and I can't review the first page of the thread to know if I've remembered correctly!!) but you should be installing the 'mythtv' package, as opposed to 'mythtv-backend'.  The backend package does not install or set up the database for you whereas the full mythtv package does, including installing MySql and any other required dependencies.  It also installs the mythtv-frontend.  Once it's all installed, run /usr/bin/mythtv-setup to start the setup.

[V28]
Security Pin = 0000

[V29]
Security Pin = 0000

Don't change any of the port numbers and then continue with configuring your locale settings (tv broadcast type, channel frequency table, etc).

HTH
YESSSSSSSSS  and thank you!!!  I DON'T know what I was/am talking about, BUT I believe you are on the right track.  The guide I was working off https://gist.github.com/dataBaseError/f3...e6dfa2f8b0  stated one had to "1. In the router define a static IP address for the computer"  I did what you said I did in your post  (first installing Kodi and then the Mythtv pvr add-on ) and mythTV wouldn't even run...I now believe I can actually get this installed...BELIEVE...is the operative word.
(2019-09-09, 21:32)black_eagle Wrote: Excuse me for butting in but you don't need to assign a static IP to your PC if myth-tv, mysql and Kodi will all be running on the same machine.  Just use 127.0.0.1 (which is the loop-back address and means 'connect back to this pc') and leave all the port settings alone.   You seem to be at cross-purposes here, with @Klojum talking about internal IP addresses whereas @mrgta67 seems to be talking about external IP addresses (based upon his comment of "several authors saying AT&T provides 8 static addresses").  They will be external so that you can access your kit from the wider internet and are not needed for this.

[V28]
Security Pin = 0000

[V29]
Security Pin = 0000

HTH

Is it best to use the Software Manager or use terminal?  <Sudo Apt-get install MythTV>  18.4 or the latest version 19.2?
Well, apt-cache policy mythtv on my machine gives this

xml:
mythtv:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3
Version table:
2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse i386 Packages

So the latest version in the Ubuntu repos for 18.04 is 29.1  so 19.2 would seem a little old ?!?  Are you sure you have the right version number as the current version release for MythTV is 30.0

Anyway, if you want the latest stable release you will probably have to add their PPA and then install from that.

In a terminal do this - sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/30
Press <ENTER> to continue adding it when it asks you to.

If there is a lot of text that scrolls up where the lines start with 'hit' and 'get' and have http addresses in them then you can skip the next bit.  If you don't see the lines starting with hit and get, type into your terminal sudo apt-get update (18.04 and above update automatically when you add a ppa, 16.04 doesn't).
Then type in apt-cache policy mythtv and check that the version number is 30. 

xml:
apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:30.0+fixes.201908121424.5cde057~ubuntu18.04.1
  Version table:
     2:30.0+fixes.201908121424.5cde057~ubuntu18.04.1 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/30/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/30/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
     2:30.0~master.20181118.26d8d51-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3 500
     2:30.0~master.20180426.ba4c52b-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1 500
     2:29.1+fixes.20180414.329c235-0ubuntu3 500
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse i386 Packages

As you can see, the candidate version is now 30.0  .  After checking that that is the case, install it with sudo apt-get install mythtv  If you install V30, then the settings are the same as the V29 ones I posted earlier.  If you want to install a different version (28 or 29) then change the number after mythbuntu/ in the add-apt-repository line above.  Version 29 is /0.29  Version 28 is /0.28 

Installing via software manager or command line makes no difference.  They will both get the same package and install it in the same way, just one has a fancy GUI and the other doesn't.  They both get software from the same sources list on your PC so if you add a source (ppa) then if the software in it is a newer version, both methods will get that version in preference to an older one.  I prefer command line because it's easier to confirm what you are about to do before you do it.  The GUI hides all that from you.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connection failed...No response from MythTV backend...Do you want to retry?0