• 9(current)
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature
(2019-10-05, 21:47)garfield Wrote: And may I please ask for the complete manual howt to create Box-sets node? Or I have missed it somewhere in the previous posts? 
@garfield this thread is about a new feature currently being designed, the final implementation may vary from this discussion and only after release will some user guidence be created.

[I gave also split your question about singles into a separate thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=348048]

It is fine that you prefer to use cuesheets and single music files per album, it is entirely your choice. But be aware that taking that approach will limit you to the basic data and related functionality suported by the default cuesheet standard. Do not expect Kodi to start adding REM statements unique to it, or juggling between the cuesheet and tags you may have added to the file.

If someone with the skills and interest wants to volunteer to extend cuesheet support within Kodi then obviously they can submit their work in the usual way. However the last time someone messed with cuesheet handling they did so to the detriment of library performance for everyone, as at the time no other devs had an interest in music so the mistakes went unnoticed. I will be watching that does not happen again. Meanwhile there are many other areas that need attention, and if such a volunteer did appear I would encourage them to spend their energies (and mine) in other ways.
(2019-10-06, 08:38)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2019-10-05, 21:47)garfield Wrote: And may I please ask for the complete manual howt to create Box-sets node? Or I have missed it somewhere in the previous posts? 
@garfield this thread is about a new feature currently being designed 

Oh, thanks for the explanation! I thought I have missed something.

And it is great that the new feature is being discussed in the thread I've started as a question. Wink

By the way, what is the filename of the icon currently used as the Boxsets node icon? I've met this icon in Video library but was unable to get its filename.

Actually I'd be rather thankful if one provide the list of Estuary node/item icons I could currently use for the custom nodes.
(2019-10-06, 16:28)garfield Wrote: And it is great that the new feature is being discussed in the thread I've started as a question. Wink
Consider yourself extremely blessed, it is rare for it to happen like this but I guess the time was ripe and @black_eagle volunteered. We are both working hard on this, a far from trivial feature as a first contribution to Kodi so black_eagle will need some beers/cheers at the end of it (which he may or may not want to share with his mentor/colleague by then).

(2019-10-06, 16:28)garfield Wrote: Actually I'd be rather thankful if one provide the list of Estuary node/item icons I could currently use for the custom nodes. 
These are skin specific so different skins will have different versions of icons. For estuary found on github https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...uary/media
(2019-10-06, 17:10)DaveBlake Wrote: For estuary found on github https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...uary/media

Thanks a lot!
@garfield I re-used the 'sets' icon from the video library, which in Estuary, is called 'DefaultSets.png'.  It's very likely that it is named differently in other skins.

It is/was a feature that I have long felt is missing so (perhaps a little rashly!) I decided to give it a go, in spite of not knowing much c++ or Kodi's codebase at all.  Still, you don't learn if you don't try and as @DaveBlake has had the misfortune to find out, I can be very trying at times Big Grin
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks a lot, black_eagle!

I don't use other KODI skins than default, so DefaultSets.png suits my needs well. )
(2019-10-12, 00:52)garfield Wrote: Thanks a lot, black_eagle!

I don't use other KODI skins than default, so DefaultSets.png suits my needs well. )

Just an FYI, skins must provide their own copies (originals or from a resource) of DefaultSets.png, but the filename should be hard-coded in MusicDatabaseDirectory.cpp GetIcon method for the library node icons.  I would suggest DefaultMusicSets or DefaultBoxSets to allow skins to use an icon image unique from movie sets.

scott s.
@scott967 I defined the icon in system/library/music/boxsets.xml rather than hard-code it, so it's possible to use any icon name for the node.  The compilations node also defines its icon this way rather than a hard-coded name.
Looking forward to testing this.  But, doesn't this need to be skinned?

scott s.
(2019-11-15, 03:44)scott967 Wrote: Looking forward to testing this.  But, doesn't this need to be skinned?

scott s.

Nope Smile

Whilst there are a couple of new infolabels, the disc navigation will work 'out of the box' with any skin.  Or it should do.  If you have disc subtitles in your music tags, then after a re-scan, those will be automatically displayed in a similar way to album titles.

Of course, skins can be enhanced to display the extra info but it's not 100% necessary initially.  I added this to the infowall view in Estuary.

xml:
                <control type="label">
                    <visible>!String.IsEqual(ListItem.Title,ListItem.Label)</visible>
                    <left>29</left>
                    <top>300</top>
                    <width>260</width>
                    <label>$PARAM[sub_label] ~ $PARAM[single_label]</label>
                    <font>font10</font>
                    <shadowcolor>text_shadow</shadowcolor>
                    <scroll>$PARAM[focused]</scroll>
                    <align>center</align>
                </control>

So when navigating the discs, if the album title is different to the disc title it displays 'Album title ~ Disc Title'.  For disc 1 of Adele's 19, the disc title is the same as the album so it just displays '19', but for the second it displays '19 ~ Live at the Cafe Del Mar'.  I'm no skinner by any stretch so I'm very much looking forward to see what's possible and whether I've missed something a skinner might need.
@black_eagle has raised a PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16915 to get this new feature into v19, yay! Test builds are available on the mirrors for those that would like to give it a go. For Win64 that is KodiSetup-20191115-060ef868-PR16915 (UPDATED)with builds for OSX and Android in approriate folder.

This bumps Music db to v73 and music files will need to be scanned to pick up the disc subtitle and boxed set tag values, so you may want to either turn off scraping on update and/or save your scraped album and artist data as NFO or single export file.

I leave it to @black_eagle to give a brief summary of what's new
Actually, it bumps the music db to v73 Wink

New stuff.
  • Disc subtitles read from tags and displayed throughout navigation (some skins may need your current view changing to see the disc titles)
  • New node for box sets that just lists those albums marked as a boxset.
  • Auto generation of a boxset if an album has 3 or more discs and all of those discs have titles.
  • Manual generation of a boxset by adding boxset to the album releasetype tag.
  • Navigation of all multi-disc albums by individual disc by default.  Can be turned off in settings -> media -> music -> split albums into individual discs. (boxsets always navigate by disc, regardless of this setting)
  • Covers and discart can be individually assigned for each disc - Album cover can be different to the covers assigned to the discs.
  • Filter by disc title / is(isn't) a boxset either from the sideblade or in a smart playlist.
  • Filter by the number of discs in a smart playlist.
  • Sort by the number of discs in an album/set.

All of that should be available without any skinning changes, although there are two new infolabels - ListItem/MusicPlayer.DiscTitle & ListItem.TotalDiscs.  There is also a bool, ListItem.IsBoxset, true if it is. You can also use Library.HasContent(boxsets).

Disc titles and skins

Estuary only shows the disc titles in either 'widelist' or 'shift' views. Personally, I don't think the shift view is particularly nice for music, but it does display the art as well.  Confluence displays the disc titles in most of the views as well as the cover art.

How to add multiple covers and discart

1.  If your multi-disc album is in one directory then you should name your art 'coverX', or 'thumbX' where X is the number of the disc it belongs to and the same with 'discartX'.
2. If your multi-disc album is split up (each disc in its own directory) then just name them as normal, eg cover.png, discart.png.

You can add these to the arttypes in AS.xml and Kodi should pick up the art automatically and assign it.  If not, if you use the 'choose art' option the art should be ready to select under the *item directory.  I found it easiest to set up the art in AS.xml first (I don't want to use a remote and the on-screen keyboard to add 18 covers and discs!) and then just refresh any art that got 'missed' through the choose art option.
So just to clarify, the android test builds are Kodi 19 and the Box Set stuff is not being merged into v18?
It is a new feature, so no it is not being merged into v18 point releases @dm21912
Hello! Newbee here. I tried the new boxset-features. And it works well! Bravo to you guys. I had some problems with my own tagging in MP3tag: 'DISCSUBTITLE' wasn't accepted; but changing to 'discsubtitle' in Picard solved the problem.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature0