• 18(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
I received confirmation on the CoreELEC forum in the meantime: HDR is known not to work in the VP9 codec chain. They do not know why, but reckon that it's either in the kernel or in an amlogic blob. If it is a kernel problem it might get fixed in the future, otherwise it is up to amlogic and nobody knows. At least I know that I didn't screw up my settings. Will watch the space and report back here if things should change...
(2019-09-25, 14:42)Boulder Wrote: Has there been any information regarding the multichannel LPCM issue yet? Kind of, where do we stand - is it something so deep that most likely won't ever be fixed?

This is now fixed in CoreElec nightlies created from a couple days ago. I tested a range of FLACs from 5 to 8 channels, 48/24 to 96/24. All ok.
(2019-10-02, 23:59)HomerJau Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 14:42)Boulder Wrote: Has there been any information regarding the multichannel LPCM issue yet? Kind of, where do we stand - is it something so deep that most likely won't ever be fixed?

This is now fixed in CoreElec nightlies created from a couple days ago. I tested a range of FLACs from 5 to 8 channels, 48/24 to 96/24. All ok. 
Thanks for the information, that is great news indeed Smile I need to test it myself as well, most of my stuff is multichannel Opus.
(2019-09-12, 07:53)mombasa123 Wrote: I got mine yday and it is v snappy even running Titan MOD skin. On par with my old Wintel i5 Kodi (which i ditched) and definitely faster than the Vero 4K+ (which is pretty decent tbh).

Also, confirmed that the N2/CE passes HDR MaxFLL & MaxCLL metadata (pending for the Vero) so tone mapping now works and matches my Oppo.

Posted this on the CE Odroid N2 forum as an enhancement request.

Also got an N2 with the most recent nightly on it. I am just wondering which kind of display you have connected to your N2? My N2 is connected to a Benq 1080p projector and the result of tone mapping is way (!!) to dark, the colours are washed out as well. I left the settings as they were out of the box.

I also have a PC running on Windows 10 and plex media player on it connected to the same AVR and Projector and tone mapping REALLY works there. 

Any ideas? Anyone?
(2019-10-07, 14:22)NathanX Wrote:
(2019-09-12, 07:53)mombasa123 Wrote: I got mine yday and it is v snappy even running Titan MOD skin. On par with my old Wintel i5 Kodi (which i ditched) and definitely faster than the Vero 4K+ (which is pretty decent tbh).

Also, confirmed that the N2/CE passes HDR MaxFLL & MaxCLL metadata (pending for the Vero) so tone mapping now works and matches my Oppo.

Posted this on the CE Odroid N2 forum as an enhancement request.

Also got an N2 with the most recent nightly on it. I am just wondering which kind of display you have connected to your N2? My N2 is connected to a Benq 1080p projector and the result of tone mapping is way (!!) to dark, the colours are washed out as well. I left the settings as they were out of the box.

I also have a PC running on Windows 10 and plex media player on it connected to the same AVR and Projector and tone mapping REALLY works there. 

Any ideas? Anyone? 

I think this is a confusion between two uses for 'tone mapping'

The OP you quote is, I believe, talking about having an HDR display that benefits from MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata so that HDR content that falls outside their display capabilities can be tone mapped with an awareness of the content's light levels. (The tone mapping is done by the display, informed by the now-available metadata)

I am guessing that your use of Tonemapping is for playing HDR content on an SDR display, where Kodi/CE has to handle tone mapping a Rec 2020 PQ HDR10 source into a Rec 709 SDR (BT.1886 or power law gamma) output signal. This is a trickier job for Kodi - and there are multiple approaches that can be taken (Scene Light vs Display Light EOTF mapping, and different gamut mapping approaches are also possible)

My Sony X800 UHD Blu-ray player had a number of HDR->SDR settings and I couldn't every find an optimal choice for playing UHD HDR10 Blu-rays on a Rec 709 UHD SDR display. I ended up buying a new UHD HDR TV...
(2019-10-07, 14:34)noggin Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 14:22)NathanX Wrote:
(2019-09-12, 07:53)mombasa123 Wrote:  
I think this is a confusion between two uses for 'tone mapping'

The OP you quote is, I believe, talking about having an HDR display that benefits from MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata so that HDR content that falls outside their display capabilities can be tone mapped with an awareness of the content's light levels. (The tone mapping is done by the display, informed by the now-available metadata)

I am guessing that your use of Tonemapping is for playing HDR content on an SDR display, where Kodi/CE has to handle tone mapping a Rec 2020 PQ HDR10 source into a Rec 709 SDR (BT.1886 or power law gamma) output signal. This is a trickier job for Kodi - and there are multiple approaches that can be taken (Scene Light vs Display Light EOTF mapping, and different gamut mapping approaches are also possible)

My Sony X800 UHD Blu-ray player had a number of HDR->SDR settings and I couldn't every find an optimal choice for playing UHD HDR10 Blu-rays on a Rec 709 UHD SDR display. I ended up buying a new UHD HDR TV... 

You are quite right, i guess the OP did not mean the same kind of tonemapping than I do. And yes, you are right again, I was referring to HDR->SDR tonemapping. 

I can only imagine the wisdom and secrets behind HDR->SDR tonemapping! And yes, there will never ever be some HDR->SDR tonemapping which can replace a real hdr picture. But thing is: the actual tonemapping result now is just unwatchable, which is a pity. Funny thing is: if i turn of tonemapping, every BT2020 source really looks bright (actually too bright), but at least you can watch the movie and get the details of the picture. 
So summing up that means: wait and see if there are some improvements regarding Hdr to sdr tonemapping in CoreElec or simply buy an HDR capable projector, right?
(2019-10-07, 15:12)NathanX Wrote: So summing up that means: wait and see if there are some improvements regarding Hdr to sdr tonemapping in CoreElec or simply buy an HDR capable projector, right? 

You do have HDR to SDR enabled in CE settings, don't you ?
(2019-10-07, 22:23)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 15:12)NathanX Wrote: So summing up that means: wait and see if there are some improvements regarding Hdr to sdr tonemapping in CoreElec or simply buy an HDR capable projector, right? 

I think his point was that the quality was not up to par.
I'm now running 2x Odroid N2's
Love them!
(2019-10-08, 05:44)matthuisman Wrote: I'm now running 2x Odroid N2's
Love them!

Nice. I plan to get a second eventually. Do you run anything else besides Coreelec?

HDR to SDR is set to automatic, have also set it to Enabled (or on), rebooted, but still the same dark result with washed out colours.
(2019-10-07, 23:26)lightsout Wrote:

I think his point was that the quality was not up to par. 
You are right. In fact, the HDR to SDR option does something, but the result is way beyond any expectation.
(2019-10-08, 07:28)NathanX Wrote:

HDR to SDR is set to automatic, have also set it to Enabled (or on), rebooted, but still the same dark result with washed out colours. 

And other options "Limit display color depth to 8-bit" and "Use 4:2:2 color subsampling" also give washed out colors ?
(2019-10-08, 11:29)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 22:23)Sholander Wrote: You do have HDR to SDR enabled in CE settings, don't you ?  

And other options "Limit display color depth to 8-bit" and "Use 4:2:2 color subsampling" also give washed out colors ? 

hm, haven't tried yet. Will do and will report :-)
(2019-10-08, 11:29)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-10-07, 22:23)Sholander Wrote: You do have HDR to SDR enabled in CE settings, don't you ?  

Switching between 4:2:2, 4:4:4, 4:2:0 YCbCr shouldn't change anything unless there is a bug in CoreElec/AMLogic's kernel - they are just different ways of carrying the same content (4:4:4 has no colour subsampling, 4:2:2 has half horizontal chroma res, but full vertical chroma res, 4:2:0 has half horizontal and half vertical chroma res)  RGB vs YCbCr may expose some oddities - but nothing earth shattering - again unless there is a bug.

8-bit limitation may allow additional HDMI output modes to be used I guess - but again - I'd be surprised if that changed the EOTF/Gamut tone mapping approach used - again unless there is a bug.

(For info 2160p50 and above RGB and YCbCr 4:4:4 output is only supported at 8-bit.  For >8 bit you need either 4:2:0 YCbCr at 10-bit or 12-bit, or 4:2:2 at 12-bit - as there is no 4:2:2 10-bit option in the HDMI spec)
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4