• 19(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2019-10-08, 05:49)lightsout Wrote:
(2019-10-08, 05:44)matthuisman Wrote: I'm now running 2x Odroid N2's
Love them!

Nice. I plan to get a second eventually. Do you run anything else besides Coreelec?  

I also use 2x N2, one as a MediaCenter with CoreELEC nightly and one as a 7/24 NAS, running Armbian (www.armbian.com).
Armbian is a Debian-based Linux, available also for N2.
For me this N2-NAS serves PIHOLE, LogitechMediaServer, RemoteDesktop and OpenMediaVault (www.openmediavault.org).
OMV in turn provides SMB- and NFS-shares in my network, Webdav-access from Internet to transfer-shares and CUPS-printserver.
A RAID is also possible, but I use it with 2x 4TB 2.5" external USB3-disks (no RAID). 

And all this with a power consumption of 5 Watt when idle (including disks). Local network speed is 120MByte/s to my local Windows-PC.
Very Amazing!
(2019-10-08, 18:40)pepeq Wrote:
Love them!

Nice. I plan to get a second eventually. Do you run anything else besides Coreelec?  

I also use 2x N2, one as a MediaCenter with CoreELEC nightly and one as a 7/24 NAS, running Armbian (www.armbian.com).
For me this N2-NAS serves PIHOLE, LogitechMediaServer, RemoteDesktop and OpenMediaVault (www.openmediavault.org).
OMV in turn provides SMB- and NFS-shares in my network, Webdav-access from Internet to transfer-shares and CUPS-printserver.
A RAID is also possible, but I use it with 2x 4TB 2.5" external USB3-disks (no RAID). 

And all this with a power consumption of 5 Watt when idle (including disks). Local network speed is 120MByte/s to my local Windows-PC.
Very Amazing!

ok, 112 MByte/s...
(2019-10-08, 18:40)pepeq Wrote:
Love them!

Very Amazing! 
That's a pretty sweet setup you have there on the second one. Above my pay grade, but impressive.
(2019-10-01, 06:31)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-01, 05:48)ozkhan1 Wrote: Apparently you can install android tv on odors n2 as well. I wonder how Kodi would perform on n2 with android tv compared to coreelec.

I've used the Lineage ATV 9.0 Pie ROM (click) on the N2, it's pretty damn snappy.

vs CoreELEC:
- there is No auto Frame Rate or Resolution switching / matching
- No HD audio
- No Multichannel PCM
- and the usual AMLogic Android Kodi bugs for broken VC-1 playback and poor quality DVD Rips / OTA TV deinterlacing.
- Kodi Netflix Addon simply will not work either with that specific Lineage ROM.

HardKernel's underlying Android release, which all N2 Android releases are built upon, also makes you reboot when changing output Hz and/or Resolution in Android OS settings which is a real PITA.

- Android Apps - Auto Frame Rate Switching is now working after a few slight Mods, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2891405 - making YouTube video viewing nice and smooth !

- Kodi - SD TV / DVD Rips deinterlacing and 1080p VC-1 Bluray Rips video playback can be fixed via SW decoding and SW YADIF2x deinterlacing by copying THIS (click) decodefilter.xml into Kodi's "Profile Directory" using the inbuilt Kodi File manager.

Want an even faster ARM Mali G-52 GPU, then tickle the GPU to 800 MHz:

Code:
echo 2 > /sys/class/mpgpu/scale_mode

W.

(2019-10-08, 13:07)noggin Wrote:
(2019-10-08, 11:29)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-10-08, 07:28)NathanX Wrote: HDR to SDR is set to automatic, have also set it to Enabled (or on), rebooted, but still the same dark result with washed out colours.    

And other options "Limit display color depth to 8-bit" and "Use 4:2:2 color subsampling" also give washed out colors ?    

Switching between 4:2:2, 4:4:4, 4:2:0 YCbCr shouldn't change anything unless there is a bug in CoreElec/AMLogic's kernel - they are just different ways of carrying the same content (4:4:4 has no colour subsampling, 4:2:2 has half horizontal chroma res, but full vertical chroma res, 4:2:0 has half horizontal and half vertical chroma res)  RGB vs YCbCr may expose some oddities - but nothing earth shattering - again unless there is a bug.

8-bit limitation may allow additional HDMI output modes to be used I guess - but again - I'd be surprised if that changed the EOTF/Gamut tone mapping approach used - again unless there is a bug.

(For info 2160p50 and above RGB and YCbCr 4:4:4 output is only supported at 8-bit.  For >8 bit you need either 4:2:0 YCbCr at 10-bit or 12-bit, or 4:2:2 at 12-bit - as there is no 4:2:2 10-bit option in the HDMI spec) 
Thanks a lot for the technical explanation - i did as Sholander suggested and yes you are right - nothing changed. A pity.
So it seems that I will have to wait until hdr to sdr tonemapping will improve... maybe Kodi 19 will help there.
Is this device capable of playing all Dolby Vision & HDR?

What about doing lossless audio passthrought? TrueHD Dolby Atmos & DTS:X or DTS-HD MA.

Is there any caveat, anything that can't be done with this device?

I'm trying to find the device that can play everything but I can't seem to find it since Shield doesn't do Dolby Vision, AppleTV won't pass Dolby Atmos, Vero 4k+ won't do vision... etc.
(2019-10-09, 14:21)jeffarese Wrote: Is this device capable of playing all Dolby Vision & HDR?

What about doing lossless audio passthrough? TrueHD Dolby Atmos & DTS:X or DTS-HD MA.

Is there any caveat, anything that can't be done with this device?

I'm trying to find the device that can play everything but I can't seem to find it since Shield doesn't do Dolby Vision, AppleTV won't pass Dolby Atmos, Vero 4k+ won't do vision... etc.

Yes to everything but DolbyVision, plus HDR10+ will be output at the moment as HDR

Also there is No software that is capable of playing dual layer DV UHD Bluray Rips even if device Chipsets may be capable.

Only hope is hacked versions of Oppo software (click) used on cloned Chinese devices.

(2019-10-09, 06:15)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-01, 06:31)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-01, 05:48)ozkhan1 Wrote: Apparently you can install android tv on odors n2 as well. I wonder how Kodi would perform on n2 with android tv compared to coreelec.

I've used the Lineage ATV 9.0 Pie ROM (click) on the N2, it's pretty damn snappy.

vs CoreELEC:
- there is No auto Frame Rate or Resolution switching / matching
- No HD audio
- No Multichannel PCM
- and the usual AMLogic Android Kodi bugs for broken VC-1 playback and poor quality DVD Rips / OTA TV deinterlacing.
- Kodi Netflix Addon simply will not work either with that specific Lineage ROM.

HardKernel's underlying Android release, which all N2 Android releases are built upon, also makes you reboot when changing output Hz and/or Resolution in Android OS settings which is a real PITA.

- Android Apps - Auto Frame Rate Switching is now working after a few slight Mods, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2891405 - making YouTube video viewing nice and smooth !

- Kodi - SD TV / DVD Rips deinterlacing and 1080p VC-1 Bluray Rips video playback can be fixed via SW decoding and SW YADIF2x deinterlacing by copying THIS (click) decodefilter.xml into Kodi's "Profile Directory" using the inbuilt Kodi File manager.

Want an even faster ARM Mali G-52 GPU, then tickle the GPU to 800 MHz:

Code:

W.

Are you using lineage variant of android tv os?
How would you compare N2 with that running to shield? Better upscaling I would hope.
(2019-10-09, 06:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Want an even faster ARM Mali G-52 GPU, then tickle the GPU to 800 MHz:
Code:

This is for Android ?
Because on CE 9.2 it already runs at 800 MHz.
For reference and help for those using a MINIX A2 lite remote with CE Kodi, the Infra Red Power OFF command can be added by simply SSH Login and:

Code:
echo "meson-ir * minix_neo" > /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg
reboot

(2019-10-09, 18:17)ozkhan1 Wrote: Are you using lineage variant of android tv os?
How would you compare N2 with that running to shield? Better upscaling I would hope.

Yes the nice LineageOS 16...
with Android TV Pie 9.0:

- the N2 obviously has no Android L1 DRM or HDCP for copy protected HD or 4K video Apps streaming
- No Android HD audio passthrough or Multichannel LPCM
- No Android Auto Resolution switching.
- Android 1080i Broadcast TV deinterlacing is half motion, which is too slow and no good for Ball sports viewing.

But the newer ARM Mali G Series GPU's found in the 2019 AMLogic S905X2, S922X and S922Z chipsets do have great picture quality vs the pretty old (but still fast) Maxwell GPU in the Shield.
The S922's CPU package is superior as well, you can CPU SW decode everything except 4K HEVC/VP9.

Imagination Technologies PowerVR GPU's found in the FireTV Stick 4K and Apple TV 4K have better output picture quality vs the Shield as well.

For Kodi usage, with the Shield's auto Resolution Switching. You can get a modern 4K TV to do all the 720/1080p > 4K picture upscaling anyway, to work around the Shield poor 4K picture upscaling.

Really it's just Technologic progress, newer Tech usually always gets better with each chipset generation.

In the end it depends how demanding a user you are.

(2019-10-10, 04:57)wrxtasy Wrote: For reference and help for those using a MINIX A2 lite remote with CE Kodi, the Infra Red Power OFF command can be added by simply SSH Login and:

Code:
reboot
Problem I am finding is not getting the MINIX A2/3 to turn the power back on. Off and all the rest of the keys work fine, but just will not power on the N2.
(2019-10-10, 12:57)Harro Wrote:
(2019-10-10, 04:57)wrxtasy Wrote: For reference and help for those using a MINIX A2 lite remote with CE Kodi, the Infra Red Power OFF command can be added by simply SSH Login and:

Code:
reboot
Problem I am finding is not getting the MINIX A2/3 to turn the power back on. Off and all the rest of the keys work fine, but just will not power on the N2.

For the A2...

Remove SD/eMMC and edit the - config.ini - file and replace what is currently in the..

# remotewakeup='0x31ce4db2'

section with..

remotewakeup='0xe718fe01'

(2019-10-10, 14:26)wrxtasy Wrote:

Code:
reboot

For the A2...

Remove SD/eMMC and edit the - config.ini - file and replace what is currently in the..

section with..

Thanks but that is what I already have in the config.ini file.
SSH'd into box and got this
Received IRMP code:
Code:
remotewakeup='0xe718fe01', decode_type='0x0', remotewakeupmask='0xffffffff']
Also loaded a keymap file that was to support the minix and made the rc_maps.config

The problem I think is that the N2 will not suspend. I hit the power button on remote and it totally shuts down. I have set power options to suspend and edited the sleep.config to reflect this
Code:
   SuspendMode=true HibernateMode=false

Granted this is the Minix A3 but should work as the A2.

EDIT: Found out I forgot to get rid of the # infront of codes. Stupid Stupid Me. Thanks
(2019-10-10, 14:26)wrxtasy Wrote:

Code:
reboot

For the A2...

section with..

I'll have to try this, I go that SSH command at the coreelec forum and it worked, but I also can't turn the thing on, currently it turns on with my TV so not a big deal, but would like it to work properly. 

I'll give this a go when I get a chance.

Do you know where this file is located exactly?
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4