• 221(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hey
Anybody knows whether some S905X3 boxes are available at some German resellers yet?
So what is the best box to use in the 50-75$ range?
(2019-10-08, 15:48)BladeWarrior Wrote: So what is the best box to use in the 50-75$ range?

Currently the MECOOL KM3 (click) when it is on $69 sale on Gearbest.com
Because you get Snappy Android TV Pie 9.0 box and the ability to dual boot into a kickass CoreELEC Kodi Leia that runs from an external microSDHC card.

If you are into minor DIY then the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is a nice, even more powerful beastie for running Kodi Leia.
Add a quality wireless Mini Keyboard remote like a MINIX A2 lite to the N2 and you are good to go. Smile

(2019-10-08, 18:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-08, 15:48)BladeWarrior Wrote:  

Currently the MECOOL KM3 (click) ...because you get Snappy Android TV Pie 9.0 box and the ability to dual boot into a kickass CoreELEC Kodi Leia that runs from an external microSDHC card.

If you are into minor DIY then the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition is a nice, even more powerful beastie for running Kodi Leia.

Hi, my Android box must have are:
1. Dual boot for CE or LE.
2. Optical audio output.

But MECOOL KM3 and ODROID N2 dont have optical audio output. Which Android box would be best with optical out? Mostly i use it for listening to music. I would use Android for HBO GO which my TV lack of it. Price about 100 euro.

P.S.
I still use Wetek Core which is excellent for my demands. But Android is not supported on this box anymore.

Thx in advance.
Hi, I just got a new 4k tv and the new amazon fire tv cube but I am not noticing that much improvement over my nvidia shield or my nvidia gtx 1060 laptop, any advice on which one of these devices should give me the best picture quality ?
(2019-10-11, 03:27)bekter Wrote: Hi, I just got a new 4k tv and the new amazon fire tv cube but I am not noticing that much improvement over my nvidia shield or my nvidia gtx 1060 laptop, any advice on which one of these devices should give me the best picture quality ?

Set both to output a 4K resolution and have a look at the sharpness of the user interface, icons, pictures etc. comparing the two.

Also take note to look closely at red and orange colours when using HDR Apps like Netflix.

Jaggy thin lines like you see in cartoons will likely look smoother as well (Anti-Antialising)

(2019-10-10, 23:59)Juno Wrote:
(2019-10-08, 18:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-08, 15:48)BladeWarrior Wrote:  

Currently the MECOOL KM3 (click) ...because you get Snappy Android TV Pie 9.0 box and the ability to dual boot into a kickass CoreELEC Kodi Leia that runs from an external microSDHC card.

Hi, my Android box must have are:
1. Dual boot for CE or LE.
2. Optical audio output.

But MECOOL KM3 and ODROID N2 dont have optical audio output. Which Android box would be best with optical out? Mostly i use it for listening to music. I would use Android for HBO GO which my TV lack of it. Price about 100 euro.

P.S.
I still use Wetek Core which is excellent for my demands. But Android is not supported on this box anymore.

Thx in advance.

You might want to look at the quality S922X hardware in the - Ugoos AM6 (click) - and there is an Android TV ROM avail for it (click)

However it has No Android - L1 or Microsoft Playready DRM - so I'm not sure how Android HBO Go is going to stream, there might be some further info in THIS (click) review.

Avoid the Beelink GT King - it has an inherent - Ethernet - hardware design issue - that Beelink are trying to mask with Android Firmware updates.
See HERE onwards (click).

(2019-10-11, 04:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-11, 03:27)bekter Wrote: Hi, I just got a new 4k tv and the new amazon fire tv cube but I am not noticing that much improvement over my nvidia shield or my nvidia gtx 1060 laptop, any advice on which one of these devices should give me the best picture quality ?

Set both to output a 4K resolution and have a look at the sharpness of the user interface, icons, pictures etc. comparing the two.

Also take note to look closely at red and orange colours when using HDR Apps like Netflix.

Jaggy thin lines like you see in cartoons will likely look smoother as well (Anti-Antialising) 

Thanks will try and compare them today. Have been thinking about building a pc for 4k gaming, are media boxes always better for watching tv or can a pc compete with them ? I am assuming that pc's don't do upscaling or dolby vision etc ?
(2019-10-11, 06:16)wrxtasy Wrote: You might want to look at the quality S922X hardware in the - Ugoos AM6 (click) - and there is an Android TV ROM avail for it (click)

However it has No Android - L1 or Microsoft Playready DRM - so I'm not sure how Android HBO Go is going to stream, there might be some further info in THIS (click) review.

Avoid the Beelink GT King - it has an inherent - Ethernet - hardware design issue - that Beelink are trying to mask with Android Firmware updates.
See HERE onwards (click)

Thank You fort answer. So it means, im forced to stick with Wetek Core.
However, i noticed some info about ONDROID N2, that module SPDiF can be attached to 40pin GPIO port. Have You ever seen such module on market?
I found this:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/hifi-shield-2/
but seems it is for C2/C1.
(2019-10-11, 13:23)Juno Wrote: Thank You fort answer. So it means, im forced to stick with Wetek Core.
However, i noticed some info about ONDROID N2, that module SPDiF can be attached to 40pin GPIO port. Have You ever seen such module on market?
I found this:
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/hifi-shield-2/
but seems it is for C2/C1.

N2 - Digital audio out (click)

It might be worth waiting and seeing if the MINIX NEO T5 that is about to launch has an unlocked bootloader that will allow CoreELEC as well
See this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347144

I got a feeling the remote will be different for a Android TV device, it needs voice control - so the remote shown in the pics look incorrect.

(2019-10-11, 13:40)wrxtasy Wrote: It might be worth waiting and seeing if the MINIX NEO T5 that is about to launch has an unlocked bootloader that will allow CoreELEC as well
Yes. Its worthy to wait for. Smile Thx!

(2019-10-11, 13:40)wrxtasy Wrote: N2 - Digital audio out (click)
Yeah, i saw this. But im not skilled enough i suppose. But this is an option as well.
@wrxtasy does the s922x have the same colour problem of the 905x? red clipping everywhere? wich device could produce the best colour output for an hifi enthusiast? s922x or the rockchips? or any other board?
best regards.
(2019-10-14, 18:43)bizuka Wrote: @wrxtasy does the s922x have the same colour problem of the 905x? red clipping everywhere? wich device could produce the best colour output for an hifi enthusiast? s922x or the rockchips? or any other board?
best regards.

I only every saw occasional Red picture outputs when deinterlacing TV on S905W/S905X, and you had to tick a CoreELEC config setting to fix it.

It's not there on the newer S905X2 / S922X chipset platforms.

The S905X2 / S922X v4.9 AMLogic Linux Kernel, curently has better 4K HDR10 support vs anything Rockchip.
Amazon with their S922Z equipped - 2019 FireTV Cube - are even getting DolbyVision video streaming out of it.

S905X2 / S922X is another generation ahead again vs anything Rockchip - modern AMLogic SoC's are using the "G" series ARM-Mali GPU's.

(2019-10-15, 04:27)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 18:43)bizuka Wrote: @wrxtasy does the s922x have the same colour problem of the 905x? red clipping everywhere? wich device could produce the best colour output for an hifi enthusiast? s922x or the rockchips? or any other board?
best regards.

I only every saw occasional Red picture outputs when deinterlacing TV on S905W/S905X, and you had to tick a CoreELEC config setting to fix it.

It's not there on the newer S905X2 / S922X chipset platforms.

The S905X2 / S922X v4.9 AMLogic Linux Kernel, curently has better 4K HDR10 support vs anything Rockchip.
Amazon with their S922Z equipped - 2019 FireTV Cube - are even getting DolbyVision video streaming out of it.

S905X2 / S922X is another generation ahead again vs anything Rockchip - modern AMLogic SoC's are using the "G" series ARM-Mali GPU's. 
the firesitck is out of the equation since it cannot output dtshd/x truehd/atmos it can only output lossy formats, my biggest concern about the s922x is the older kernel but i guess i'm going to give it a try, do they have any plans to go 5.x ?
Best regards.
(2019-10-15, 14:54)bizuka Wrote: my biggest concern about the s922x is the older kernel but i guess i'm going to give it a try, do they have any plans to go 5.x ?

Sure, when it is ready for media player needs/use.
  • 221(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28