v18 Trying to understand text scrolling behavior in Kodi
I have been working with fadelabel (kodi.wiki/view/Fade_label_control), label (kodi.wiki/view/Label_control), and textbox (kodi.wiki/view/Text_Box) scrolling and auto-scrolling specifically as it relates to Music Visualization. 

Based on my understanding from reading the wiki and playing with the a couple of different skins   -  each of the three control types has their own set of parameters and behaviors.

fadelabel   -  seems to be infinite in the time it scrolls, but its not fluid in that the scrolling isn't continuous - it finishes the line, clears, then restarts.

label   -  has smooth fluid continuous scrolling, however it stops scrolling after about one minute and I can't find any parameter to change that.

textbox   -  has a repeat, time, and delay parameters available, but it scrolls vertically top to bottom and not horizontally left to right like the text scrolls in the other two label controls above.

As usual I just can't be happy with with I got, I have to be after something different.  
I'm looking for a infinite continuous smooth scrolling left to right scroll that never stops scrolling.

The closest I got was by using fadelabel with <scrollout> and <resetonlabelchange> set to false. Pretty close and I can live with it.

So for the questions:
1) Is there is setting to set the label control to infinite scrolling. 
2) Is there a setting to set the textbox control to scroll left to right instead of top to bottom? 

Thanks in advance.
No and no. But you might be able to fake it using a wraplist.
I've never experienced the label stopping scrolling. I use a label control in Arctic Zephyr on the visualisation to have large scrolling artist/album/song text onscreen and I've never noticed it stopping.

I just add
Code:
<scroll>true</scroll>
and it seems to work fine for me.

https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.arc...ml#L58-L92
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
(2019-10-16, 01:44)jurialmunkey Wrote: I've never experienced the label stopping scrolling. I use a label control in Arctic Zephyr on the visualisation to have large scrolling artist/album/song text onscreen and I've never noticed it stopping.

I just add
Code:
<scroll>true</scroll>
and it seems to work fine for me.

Thanks for the reply jurialmunkey. I loaded up your skin and it must be a platform "oddity" with the fire stick as I witnessed the same behavior where it will scroll for about 30 seconds or so then stops. It could also be a number of repeats as opposed to time as I've tested other skins and the slower scrolling ones seem to last a little longer before stopping indicating that it could be counting the number of repeats as opposed to a timer.

P.S. Nice skin!
(2019-10-16, 05:10)rwyarbrough Wrote: Thanks for the reply jurialmunkey. I loaded up your skin and it must be a platform "oddity" with the fire stick as I witnessed the same behavior where it will scroll for about 30 seconds or so then stops.

Hmm maybe it is platform specific. Doesn't seem to happen on LibreElec or Windows.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
For me scrolling stops after the 3rd cycle. Speed has no effect on the number of repeats. Three cycles and done. Tested on Windows 7 and LibreELEC.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15758
I've seen label scrolling stop but haven't tried to analyze when/how it happens.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2019-10-16, 17:45)Hitcher Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/15758

BINGO!! So three scrolls and stop is NOT standard/expected behavior for the label container. This is a known issue that is being worked on. Thank you Hitcher!

And I like your idea of having the three (or some number of)  scrolls and stop control as part of the smartredraw = true setting and not as standard/expected behavior. Default behavior is scrolling continuous forever at the default smartredraw = false setting.

Or better yet even, if scrolling adds a significant load to the CPU just add a variable that can be added to control number of scrolls inside the label control itself. 0=infinite (default for true), 100=100 scrolls - example: <scroll iterations="100">true</scroll>.

I don't think either setting will impact powersaver mode if that is the objective of limiting the number of scrolls. At least not for the music player. It ignores it all together 348310.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trying to understand text scrolling behavior in Kodi0