5.1 surround output via optical output
(2019-10-13, 13:52)tigersky Wrote: please read the following topics to pick your kodi box of choice; TOPIC NAME//START HERE PICK THE RIGHT KODI BOX updated march 2019, beautifully and elaborately posted by mr.wrxtasy. Also read about kodi audio settings to get 5.1 audio out via optical out. i guess you want android 5.1 audio passthrough .The answer is right there. Mr.Fritsch also guided you regarding audio settings. Good luck. regards. 
sorry for being dense but could not find your reference. searched this forum for "PICK THE RIGHT KODI BOX" with no result.

could you please post a link?
(2019-10-16, 18:49)megabitee Wrote:
(2019-10-13, 13:52)tigersky Wrote: please read the following topics to pick your kodi box of choice; TOPIC NAME//START HERE PICK THE RIGHT KODI BOX updated march 2019, beautifully and elaborately posted by mr.wrxtasy. Also read about kodi audio settings to get 5.1 audio out via optical out. i guess you want android 5.1 audio passthrough .The answer is right there. Mr.Fritsch also guided you regarding audio settings. Good luck. regards. 
sorry for being dense but could not find your reference. searched this forum for "PICK THE RIGHT KODI BOX" with no result.

could you please post a link? 
please google search . you'll be right on target.
(2019-10-16, 19:10)tigersky Wrote: please google search . you'll be right on target. 
Ow.
(2019-10-16, 21:18)megabitee Wrote:
(2019-10-16, 19:10)tigersky Wrote: please google search . you'll be right on target. 
Ow. 
GOT IT??
(2019-10-15, 14:35)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-15, 12:54)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 20:14)tigersky Wrote: hi ninjagull99, I'm using beelink gt1 android box with above audio settings as mentioned by fritsch to get both 5.1 optical out and 5.1 hdmi out to a sony receiver. you can get 5.1 optical out with almost any Android tv box ,even with A95X F2 PROVIDED you have the appropriate audio settings in kodi and your box audio settings. please go through the kodi audio settings page once more. goodluck. i have even ordered  a new android box running nougat version 7.1.2  to get 5.1 and 7.1 auio pass through in kodi as per mr.wrxtasy's suggestions.  
Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for that information.  I will order a GT1 box today and let you know who I get on.  Thank you to everyone how has posted to this thread and the excellent support. 
DEAR ninja,   beelink products are good but costly when compared to others. please let me know your exact requirements . I'll guide you. why don't you think about DIY  coreelec or libreelec to run kodi and enjoy high quality audio and video out. it's pretty simple. cheers.

Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for your kind offer of guiding through a self build, I think it's the way to go now. I received gt1-a today and first issue was that remote control would only work at a distance of less than a metre!! On a positive note though I did manage to get surround sound working following instructions posted earlier, thank you fritsch. Other issues were it intermittently losing network connection which could be fixed by unplugging Ethernet cable and plugging back in. Also Kodi would not let me set screen resolution higher than 1920 x 1080p.

Think it's going back to Amazon tomorrow! the remote issue alone is a deal breaker. I really liked my original openelec solution running on an Asus nvidia chipset family based passively cooled motherboard. I only tried to upgrade to get 4K output. I still have mini ITX case and PSU so really interested in doing same again. Libreelec seems to be the way to go. What do I need spec wise for a mini ITX board? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
(2019-10-16, 23:51)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-15, 14:35)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-15, 12:54)ninjagull99 Wrote: Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for that information.  I will order a GT1 box today and let you know who I get on.  Thank you to everyone how has posted to this thread and the excellent support. 
DEAR ninja,   beelink products are good but costly when compared to others. please let me know your exact requirements . I'll guide you. why don't you think about DIY  coreelec or libreelec to run kodi and enjoy high quality audio and video out. it's pretty simple. cheers.

Dear Tigersky

Many thanks for your kind offer of guiding through a self build, I think it's the way to go now. I received gt1-a today and first issue was that remote control would only work at a distance of less than a metre!! On a positive note though I did manage to get surround sound working following instructions posted earlier, thank you fritsch. Other issues were it intermittently losing network connection which could be fixed by unplugging Ethernet cable and plugging back in. Also Kodi would not let me set screen resolution higher than 1920 x 1080p.

Think it's going back to Amazon tomorrow! the remote issue alone is a deal breaker. I really liked my original openelec solution running on an Asus nvidia chipset family based passively cooled motherboard. I only tried to upgrade to get 4K output. I still have mini ITX case and PSU so really interested in doing same again. Libreelec seems to be the way to go. What do I need spec wise for a mini ITX board? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Of course I mean ATX board, I do have some idea of what I am talking about, really!!
(2019-10-16, 23:51)ninjagull99 Wrote: Other GT1 issues were it intermittently losing network connection which could be fixed by unplugging Ethernet cable and plugging back in. Also Kodi would not let me set screen resolution higher than 1920 x 1080p.

It this is the Beelink GT-King you are talking about it has proven, known, hardware design - Ethernet issues, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

(2019-10-17, 08:39)wrxtasy Wrote: It this is the Beelink GT-King you are talking about it has proven, known, hardware design - Ethernet issues, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 
I don't own this box, but following the thread you linked to it appears the ethernet issue may have been fixed with a firmware update. 
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s922x-b...g/5334/599
(2019-10-17, 09:23)trogggy Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 08:39)wrxtasy Wrote: It this is the Beelink GT-King you are talking about it has proven, known, hardware design - Ethernet issues, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 
I don't own this box, but following the thread you linked to it appears the ethernet issue may have been fixed with a firmware update. 
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s922x-b...g/5334/599

A Firmware update is NOT going to fix a hardware design error. That is just masking an inherent HW problem.
Read at the end of the linked CE thread and you find there are still ethernet stability issues.

Avoid !

(2019-10-17, 08:39)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-16, 23:51)ninjagull99 Wrote: Other GT1 issues were it intermittently losing network connection which could be fixed by unplugging Ethernet cable and plugging back in. Also Kodi would not let me set screen resolution higher than 1920 x 1080p.

It this is the Beelink GT-King you are talking about it has proven, known, hardware design - Ethernet issues, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
No, it's not that box, I has read about the ethernet issues also.  This is a GT1-A box.  I purchased it as tigersky said that his Beelink GT1 was doing what I expected.  Must praise Beelink though, as I emailed them last night and they have gt back to me with a video showing sound settings outside Kodi and asking about the remote.  Still pretty sure I am going to send back to Amazon though and do a PC based self build with core elec.
(2019-10-16, 23:51)ninjagull99 Wrote: I really liked my original openelec solution running on an Asus nvidia chipset family based passively cooled motherboard. I only tried to upgrade to get 4K output. I still have mini ITX case and PSU so really interested in doing same again. Libreelec seems to be the way to go. What do I need spec wise for a mini ITX board? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

If you want to do 4K HDR cheap and reasonably snappy:

1) Get a GigaE LAN equipped - Tanix TX9 Pro (click) and hook it up using a coaxial connector (click)

OR a AML S912 - T95Z Max (click) that has SPDIF

2) And/OR (keep existing Beelink) plus ---> Also buy a Plug n Play - MINIX A2 lite remote - that is Plug n Play - NO issues then with old, useless, unreliable Infra Red.

3) Also get a Samsung EVO Select - Class 10 U1 microSDHC card and run CoreELEC Kodi on it. Once that is done you can even Install CE Kodi to faster internal eMMC storage and Nuke Android completely if you want.

Job done.

(2019-10-17, 09:40)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-16, 23:51)ninjagull99 Wrote: I really liked my original openelec solution running on an Asus nvidia chipset family based passively cooled motherboard. I only tried to upgrade to get 4K output. I still have mini ITX case and PSU so really interested in doing same again. Libreelec seems to be the way to go. What do I need spec wise for a mini ITX board? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

1) Get a GigaE LAN equipped - Tanix TX9 Pro (click) and hook it up using a coaxial connector (click)

2) And/OR (keep existing Beelink) plus ---> Also buy a Plug n Play - MINIX A2 lite remote - that is Plug n Play - NO issues then with old, useless, unreliable Infra Red.

3) Also get a Samsung EVO Select - Class 10 U1 microSDHC card and run CoreELEC Kodi on it. Once that is done you can even Install CE Kodi to faster internal eMMC storage and Nuke Android completely if you want.

Job done. 
Dear wrxtasy

Many thanks for that suggestion.  I particularity like the idea putting Corelec Kodi onto microSDHC card and then installing it directly onto device itself and thus removing Android altogether, it's purely Kodi that I am after.

Best wishes
(2019-10-17, 11:25)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 09:40)wrxtasy Wrote:

Thanks in advance

Job done. 
Dear wrxtasy

Many thanks for that suggestion.  I particularity like the idea putting Corelec Kodi onto microSDHC card and then installing it directly onto device itself and thus removing Android altogether, it's purely Kodi that I am after.

Best wishes

Just a follow up to say that I successfully installed coreelec Kodi onto beeline gt1-a this evening. Working really well, no Ethernet drop outs, allows 4K resolution, 5.1 surround now being played correctly to all speakers, even the remote works from sofa not just less than 1 metre Sait did previously, can't work that one out! In Kodi settings I can enable pass through but the option to choose what device cannot be selected. It is saying HDMI but I am getting output from SPDIF so not too worried.

All I need now is to work out how to install onto the internal eMMC memory.

Thank you everyone again for help along the way.
(2019-10-19, 00:36)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 11:25)ninjagull99 Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 09:40)wrxtasy Wrote: If you want to do 4K HDR cheap and reasonably snappy:

Job done. 
Dear wrxtasy

Best wishes 

Just a follow up to say that I successfully installed coreelec Kodi onto beeline gt1-a this evening. Working really well, no Ethernet drop outs, allows 4K resolution, 5.1 surround now being played correctly to all speakers, even the remote works from sofa not just less than 1 metre Sait did previously, can't work that one out! In Kodi settings I can enable pass through but the option to choose what device cannot be selected. It is saying HDMI but I am getting output from SPDIF so not too worried.

All I need now is to work out how to install onto the internal eMMC memory.

Thank you everyone again for help along the way. 
hi ninja, installation to internal memory is not supported by coreelec team for android boxes but recommended for SBC's. coreelec runs pretty well on sd card in beelink gt1. please reconsider your decision.
(2019-10-14, 18:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 13:35)tigersky Wrote:
(2019-10-14, 06:57)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes transcoding is really is the only option for Android Kodi legacy 5.1 audio Optical support.

As another note the Android TV (OS) has the worst Dolby Audio OS support vs FireTV and Apple TV’s.
Even devices like the Mi Box that supposedly have a Dolby Audio licence cannot for example downmix 5.1 DD+ > 5.1 DD and then send output over Optical.

Use Kodi instead. 
hi wrxtasy, won't we get 5.1 optical or 7.1 hdmi passthrough with kodi in android nougat amlogic tv boxes. will that be applicable to kodi krypton only or even with latest kodi versions too. regards. 

Yes generally AML devices running Nougat 7.x Firmware have IEC61937 support for such optical / HDMI audio passthru for use with Kodi Krypton, Leia and Matrix.

You also have to manually select in Android Settings > Audio > Digital Sounds > HDMI or SPDIF

AML devices running Oreo 8.1 or Pie 9.x Firmware seem to have lost IEC61937 support. 
HI wrxtasy, it seems HD audio option is available in nougat with kodi krypton only but not for nougat with leia. An update from krypton to leia in mecool m8s pro L running on nougat 7.1.2 vanished hd PASSTHROUGH audio options in kodi audio settings in the expert mode. kindly check out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 surround output via optical output1