• 2(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
Do you think DV support will be only for streaming apps , or we can expect it for KODI too with movie files (mkv,ISO,BDMV UHD..)
(2019-10-18, 14:37)noggin Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 00:48)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 23:58)noggin Wrote: It might win on HD Audio bitstreaming, but it will need decent refresh rate switching support in Netflix, Amazon, broadcaster Catch-up/VOD etc. to rival the Apple TV.

Also - leaked image looks to be missing a USB port, so no local storage other than MicroSD - but specs published at the top post say 2 x USB 3?  

Always boggled my mind why android tv can’t do it but fire devices can..   

Same reason Apple TV can do it. The app authors have written in support for it on their Fire TV and Apple TV apps (it's not Automatic AIUI - but API controlled - and few Fire TV apps support - Netflix and BBC iPlayer didn't last time I checked) but haven't on Android TV - so I guess the issue is more with app authors (though could nVidia do something bespoke like AMLogic used to?) 

We can have autoframe rate on apps with refresh rate tool on Shield TV, then Why Nvidia can't integrate it on the system itself ?
(2019-10-18, 15:24)Ogreen Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 14:37)noggin Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 00:48)ozkhan1 Wrote: Always boggled my mind why android tv can’t do it but fire devices can..   

Same reason Apple TV can do it. The app authors have written in support for it on their Fire TV and Apple TV apps (it's not Automatic AIUI - but API controlled - and few Fire TV apps support - Netflix and BBC iPlayer didn't last time I checked) but haven't on Android TV - so I guess the issue is more with app authors (though could nVidia do something bespoke like AMLogic used to?)    

We can have autoframe rate on apps with refresh rate tool on Shield TV, then Why Nvidia can't integrate it on the system itself ?   
I guess to avoid the problem Roku have had with their Streaming Stick + and system-wide frame rate switching.  Roku have disabled it for Netflix (and only Netflix) because of the autoplaying of trailers in Netflix I believe.  As you switch between shows and the background trailers auto play, if they are different frame rates, you get a display re-sync and a couple of seconds of flash-bang resync on your display, which is very annoying as you scroll up and down slowly to read synopses.  If the refresh rate is API controlled, you can avoid this.
(2019-10-18, 16:25)noggin Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 14:37)noggin Wrote: Same reason Apple TV can do it. The app authors have written in support for it on their Fire TV and Apple TV apps (it's not Automatic AIUI - but API controlled - and few Fire TV apps support - Netflix and BBC iPlayer didn't last time I checked) but haven't on Android TV - so I guess the issue is more with app authors (though could nVidia do something bespoke like AMLogic used to?)    

I guess to avoid the problem Roku have had with their Streaming Stick + and system-wide frame rate switching.  Roku have disabled it for Netflix (and only Netflix) because of the autoplaying of trailers in Netflix I believe.  As you switch between shows and the background trailers auto play, if they are different frame rates, you get a display re-sync and a couple of seconds of flash-bang resync on your display, which is very annoying as you scroll up and down slowly to read synopses.  If the refresh rate is API controlled, you can avoid this. 

OK thanks for the reply
(2019-10-18, 14:37)noggin Wrote: Same reason Apple TV can do it. The app authors have written in support for it on their Fire TV and Apple TV apps (it's not Automatic AIUI - but API controlled - and few Fire TV apps support - Netflix and BBC iPlayer didn't last time I checked) but haven't on Android TV - so I guess the issue is more with app authors (though could nVidia do something bespoke like AMLogic used to?)    

Exactly the problem I have run into with Rokus and Netflix. It basically breaks the interface to a lay person. That plus a lack of Dolby Vision support is why I don't like using them as a streaming option.

I would love for that Nvidia stick to be my main streaming option if they get that working.

Ah yes that would be really annoying. Maybe only have it switch when you actually push play.
(2019-10-18, 20:08)lightsout Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 15:24)Ogreen Wrote: We can have autoframe rate on apps with refresh rate tool on Shield TV, then Why Nvidia can't integrate it on the system itself ?    
Ah yes that would be really annoying. Maybe only have it switch when you actually push play. 

Yep - but that means it needs to be programmed into the app and API controlled, rather than system-wide I guess.  A system-wide 'output at native rate' option wouldn't necessarily know the difference between playing a trailer and a feature.
(2019-10-18, 15:19)Ogreen Wrote: Do you think DV support will be only for streaming apps , or we can expect it for KODI too with movie files (mkv,ISO,BDMV UHD..)

Until MKV can support DV w/HD audio, then I'm sticking w/my gen2 Shield TV. A mp4 w/just AC3 audio is only half-way there.
(2019-10-18, 23:53)hdmkv Wrote:
(2019-10-18, 15:19)Ogreen Wrote: Do you think DV support will be only for streaming apps , or we can expect it for KODI too with movie files (mkv,ISO,BDMV UHD..)

Until MKV can support DV w/HD audio, then I'm sticking w/my gen2 Shield TV. A mp4 w/just AC3 audio is only half-way there. 
Not sure mkv ever will. But the mp4's aren't just AC-3. They are doing lossless audio now, just can't have internal subs. Not perfect but progress for sure.
(2019-10-17, 21:33)lightsout Wrote: If anyone sees that these officially support bitstreaming please post it. Can see them taking it away but you never know.

I can't see them taking that away. That would be a deal breaker for most people who want it.
Christmas season will be fun for mediaplayer lovers. Odroid N2; Minix U22-XJ or Nvidia Shield Pro  Big Grin
The original shield was ahead of its time. I was one of those who preordered the first one in 2015, and I still have it running strong. I don’t like the upscaling job it does but I am really looking forward to the new one. For most US users, it’s the perfect box.
(2019-10-19, 21:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: The original shield was ahead of its time. I was one of those who preordered the first one in 2015, and I still have it running strong. I don’t like the upscaling job it does but I am really looking forward to the new one. For most US users, it’s the perfect box.

The thing is, it was always way overpriced (like Apple TV) when compared to other boxes that really did the same, like the Minix Neo X8-H Plus. Only if you wanted the gaming possibilities it had the edge over other mediaplayers. Other than that, I really didn't see any reason to buy the 2015 or 2017 one. Moreover the fact that Android TV was (and still is) missing a lot of apps + the recent continuing problems with SDR - HDR colorspace switching; and it just wasn't the box for me. But, having the big name of a wellknown brand it also was the most obvious choice for a lot of people. Chosing between a unknown China of HK brand, or Nvidia was an easy choice for most, I guess. I always found that it was one of the most interesting options, but in a world where Minix, WeTek, Xiaomi, Vero, and others, made great boxes too, the competition was strong and sometimes just better than the Shield.
(2019-10-19, 14:59)Sjors125 Wrote: Christmas season will be fun for mediaplayer lovers. Odroid N2; Minix U22-XJ or Nvidia Shield Pro  Big Grin

The new Minix players aren't Netflix certified, which would be a complete deal breaker for a lot of people. Me included. If something isn't Netflix certified, it's not worth the plastic casing it's in..
(2019-10-20, 00:53)SilverBlade Wrote:
(2019-10-19, 14:59)Sjors125 Wrote: Christmas season will be fun for mediaplayer lovers. Odroid N2; Minix U22-XJ or Nvidia Shield Pro  Big Grin

The new Minix players aren't Netflix certified, which would be a complete deal breaker for a lot of people. Me included. If something isn't Netflix certified, it's not worth the plastic casing it's in..

Many people have 4K Smart TV’s and some with DolbyVision that also produced high quality upscaling of non 4K content to run Netflix anyway.
Plus then they were getting lossy Netflix Atmos as well. So it was not a super big deal people made it out to be.

What was a big deal was ongoing Firmware and OS support and media player speed for day to day usage. And in the Android space the Shield simply was superior.
In fact the best support any Android users had ever seen !

What you are now seeing is it catching up with the other 4K HDR - 2017 Apple TV 4K and 2018 Amazon FireTV 4K competition.

$200 for a 16GB - 2019 Shield does seem pretty expensive in the current market. But then it really is a niche product so users have to pay.

In reality like the Apple TV’s you are paying a premium upfront for long term ongoing Firmware and OS support. Which many users in the end find , works out cheaper long term anyway.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1