• 21(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
Quick crash course SSH login to CoreELEC Kodi:

Read the LibreELEC Wiki HERE (click)

IP address of N2 is found in the Kodi Settings > System Information Page.

then... say the Terminal App on a Mac...type...

Password is ---> coreelec

If a user wanted to install CE from microSDHC to a plug in eMMC flash module...

Code:
installtoemmc
That is it.
Hi guys,

I received my N2 two days ago, all good so far, pretty impressive little thing it is Smile

I previously used an Apple TV 4K with Kodi and MrMC but wanted correct HDR tone mapping (which is not possible with the ATV4K) and having the latest Kodi is a nice addition too.
Watched Skyfall 4K last night, very happy with the image quality, it's actually a bit better than the ATV4K (correct HDR tone mapping might help) and the 24p playback is super smooth.

Should I expect a speed increase between a really fast microSD and the N2 eMMC ?
I use a class 10 Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSD card (170 MB/s read - 90 MB/s write) at the moment.

Also, I disabled dirty regions via the advancedsettings.xml file but couldn't notice a real difference...
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
(2019-10-26, 12:55)Sebos Wrote: Should I expect a speed increase between a really fast microSD and the N2 eMMC ?
I use a class 10 Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB microSD card (170 MB/s read - 90 MB/s write) at the moment.

Speed increase between uSD card and an eMMC affects mainly boot time and upgrade/update time. Not much difference on anything else because when Kodi starts it works from onboard memory...
(2019-10-26, 12:55)Sebos Wrote: Should I expect a speed increase between a really fast microSD and the N2 eMMC ?

Yes for:
- bootup
- .tar updates
- metadata Scraping of audio and video files
- .tar CE Kodi backups
- .tar CE Kodi restores

Apart from that - NO.

The most important factor with microSDHC is Random - 4K R/W speeds - you know all those little bits of data for Artwork, Thumbnails etc:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

Thanks guys ! 

I think I'll stay with the SD card for now as everything works pretty fast and smooth.

Hopefully the HDR10+ fix will come up soon and this will be the perfect board for me !
(2019-10-26, 19:52)Sebos Wrote: Thanks guys ! 

I think I'll stay with the SD card for now as everything works pretty fast and smooth.

Hopefully the HDR10+ fix will come up soon and this will be the perfect board for me !

What HDR10+ fix are you expecting ?
If you run CE 9.2.0 stable then HDR10+ is displayed as SDR. If you run latest nightly release then HDR10+ is displayed as HDR.
I know, I just hope the linux kernel fix will come one day and allow full HDR10+ playback in CE.

That would be great !
(2019-10-26, 20:31)Sebos Wrote: I know, I just hope the linux kernel fix will come one day and allow full HDR10+ playback in CE.

That would be great !

Just curious is there much media out there that is HDR+ ? And if so are you able to rip it properly?
(2019-10-26, 20:40)lightsout Wrote:
(2019-10-26, 20:31)Sebos Wrote: I know, I just hope the linux kernel fix will come one day and allow full HDR10+ playback in CE.

That would be great !

Just curious is there much media out there that is HDR+ ? And if so are you able to rip it properly? 
Yes.  More and more every week.  Discs are starting to come with HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision.

And yes it appears to rip to mkv just fine.  Or just do full disc backup and playback that way.
(2019-10-26, 20:53)dwalme Wrote:
(2019-10-26, 20:40)lightsout Wrote:

That would be great !

Yes.  More and more every week.  Discs are starting to come with HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision.

And yes it appears to rip to mkv just fine.  Or just do full disc backup and playback that way.

Oh it rips to mkv? That's great. Current status of Dolby Vision is not all that great. Hoping we see some advancement.
Indeed, HDR10+ is much more "standard" than DV, it's embedded into the HDR metadatas whereas DV is a totally different layer.

Discs with HDR10+ just revert back to HDR10 if not compatible HDR10+ hardware (TV or player) is detected, it's quite staightforward.

Recently, 20th Century Fox and Universal flicks include HDR10+ on the UHD Blu-Rays : Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, Alita Battle Angel, Hobbs and Shaw all have HDR10+ to name a few.
(2019-10-27, 00:36)Sebos Wrote: Indeed, HDR10+ is much more "standard" than DV, it's embedded into the HDR metadatas whereas DV is a totally different layer.

Discs with HDR10+ just revert back to HDR10 if not compatible HDR10+ hardware (TV or player) is detected, it's quite staightforward.

Recently, 20th Century Fox and Universal flicks include HDR10+ on the UHD Blu-Rays : Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, Alita Battle Angel, Hobbs and Shaw all have HDR10+ to name a few.

Do you know of anything that can play these movies ripped yet?
Well that's the problem, no Kodi box can handle HDR10+ at the moment. The N2 should be able to do it when the linux kernel bug is fixed.

wrxtasy has a thread running and hopefully he'll add informations as they become available : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

I was able to test those files using my Samsung TV internal media player and all files containing HDR10+ metadatas play just fine (ie. the HDR10+ logo is displayed in the TV's settings when the file is playing).
(2019-10-26, 12:55)Sebos Wrote: I previously used an Apple TV 4K with Kodi and MrMC but wanted correct HDR tone mapping (which is not possible with the ATV4K) and having the latest Kodi is a nice addition too.
Watched Skyfall 4K last night, very happy with the image quality, it's actually a bit better than the ATV4K (correct HDR tone mapping might help) and the 24p playback is super smooth.

Yes..

With no support currently on any Kodi media player for Kodi use with Dynamic HDR Metadata formats....
HDR10+ or DolbyVision, users can resort to Sony, LG or my preferred - 2019 Panasonic OLED - HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping functionality for use when playing back 4K HDR10 Bluray Rips/Remuxes on the ODROID N2.

This was why getting correct MaxCLL/FALL HDR metadata output was important to ensure everything was mapped correctly for each HDR display's capabilities.

(2019-10-27, 08:59)Sebos Wrote: Well that's the problem, no Kodi box can handle HDR10+ at the moment. The N2 should be able to do it when the linux kernel bug is fixed.

wrxtasy has a thread running and hopefully he'll add informations as they become available : https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

I was able to test those files using my Samsung TV internal media player and all files containing HDR10+ metadatas play just fine (ie. the HDR10+ logo is displayed in the TV's settings when the file is playing).

I might be able to experiment with HDR10+ this week when my new 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED arrives. Smile
Picture quality and Color accuracy out of the box is really important for me personally with expensive displays, I do not to have to pony up for the additional expense of having to get a 4K OLED TV professionally calibrated.

Just for info here is a comparison of DolbyVision vs HDR10+ on 2019 Panasonic OLED's:
https://youtu.be/pWTO-UI3Spg?t=1192

Probably the wrong place to ask but is there any chance that 3D MVC will be supported on this box as it is now (almost fully) supported on the Vero 4K?
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4