Newbie's First Kodi System
I am a retired electronic engineer and amateur musician. I decided to build a music streaming system using a Kodi Server on LibreElect_RPi4, and a Kodi Client on an Amazon Fire TV Stick.

My Desktop Computer is a Windows 10 machine. I use MusicBrainz Picard, and other sources, to gather metadata and images. I also use Mp3tag to meticulously organize the tagging. The information is then sent via SSH to the RPi4 system using WinSCP. The main storage on the RPi4 is an external USB3 Hard Drive. 

Everything works fine at the RPi4 Server end. I have implemented the recommended Artist Information folder approach, and everything works as expected. Music can be played via the RPi4, and all the Library files and Artist Information display correctly on a local monitor.

I have set-up UPnP/DLNA services at the RPi4 end, and I can now stream music to my TV using the Amazon Fire TV Stick (Hooray!).

However: although the library albums, songs, artists and images all appear correctly on the TV, I cannot display the carefully-gathered details about the artists. All that a see is a message "No information available". The .NFO files are correctly stored in the Artist Information folders on the RPi4 Drive, but cannot be accessed via the Amazon Fire TV Stick Client.

What have I missed? What am I doing wrong? It is a little frustrating to have assembled all this fascinating information and not be able to have it available for the end user!

Does a copy of the Artist Information folder need to be stored locally on the Amazon Fire TV Stick? This would be a shame because of the limited local storage available. My particular Amazon device, apparently, only uses the USB Port for power. I am, therefore, unable to add extra storage.
Not everything is available via uPnP sadly.  Also, I don't think there is anyone maintaining that side of things at the moment for Kodi.

Given all this, if it were me, I'd set up a shared database using MySQL/MariaDB and scan everything into that using network paths.  Then use an advancedsettings.xml file on the fire tv stick to point to that shared library, at which point everything that appears on your Pi should be replicated on the firestick.

There is a lot of information in the wiki (wiki) about doing this, but if you get stuck or need some help with something, just shout.  I've been using a method like this for the last 6 years to share all my music around 5+ kodi instances (on various different platforms) with no issues.  It's a pain to set up, but once it is, it works flawlessly.

Some wiki reading !!  
  • Note that a local sqlite database has no knowledge of network paths and thus won't work !!
  • An rPi4 is perfectly capable of running the software required to make this work
  •  
You will have to do any scraping/scanning on the Pi but once it's done both machines will show identical info.  You do NOT need to add your music library to the firesticks sources as all the info is in the MySQl/Mariadb database.  You just need to use the advancedsettings.xml to point the firestick to the relevant music database and everything should 'just work'tm.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-10-27, 18:39)black_eagle Wrote: Not everything is available via uPnP sadly.  Also, I don't think there is anyone maintaining that side of things at the moment for Kodi.

Given all this, if it were me, I'd set up a shared database using MySQL/MariaDB and scan everything into that using network paths.  Then use an advancedsettings.xml file on the fire tv stick to point to that shared library, at which point everything that appears on your Pi should be replicated on the firestick.

There is a lot of information in the wiki (wiki) about doing this, but if you get stuck or need some help with something, just shout.  I've been using a method like this for the last 6 years to share all my music around 5+ kodi instances (on various different platforms) with no issues.  It's a pain to set up, but once it is, it works flawlessly.

Some wiki reading !!
  • Note that a local sqlite database has no knowledge of network paths and thus won't work !!
  • An rPi4 is perfectly capable of running the software required to make this work
  •  
You will have to do any scraping/scanning on the Pi but once it's done both machines will show identical info.  You do NOT need to add your music library to the firesticks sources as all the info is in the MySQl/Mariadb database.  You just need to use the advancedsettings.xml to point the firestick to the relevant music database and everything should 'just work'tm. 

Thank you Black Eagle for your prompt and informative reply. I'll read the references and try to get up-to-speed. I'll post a reply when I, hopefully, make some progress!
OP also recommend if more questions ask in the "music" forum.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2019-10-27, 18:39)black_eagle Wrote: Note that a local sqlite database has no knowledge of network paths and thus won't work !!
I think we need to formulate that a bit better. Any database can work with network links in its data. An SQLite database engine itself is not designed to be used by multiple users and is as such inadequate in a network solution as a centralized database.

(2019-10-27, 18:39)black_eagle Wrote: An rPi4 is perfectly capable of running the software required to make this work
A new version of LibreELEC just came out hours ago. Also, there is a MySQL server add-on for LibreELEC which could help you out. On the flip side, using a database on a SDcard is not recommended simply because of the volatility of SD cards. Making frequent backups is one solution.
Would it not be possible for the LibreELEC MySQL server database to be stored on the external USB 3 hard disk attached to the RPi 4?
(2019-10-28, 10:14)wyvernuk Wrote: Would it not be possible for the LibreELEC MySQL server database to be stored on the external USB 3 hard disk attached to the RPi 4?

In theory, yes. But I never tried that myself. I do have a Rpi4, but I'm waiting for the firmware to support USB booting so everything can run more easily off, say, an external SSD.

Another variant would be to have LibreELEC boot from the SD card, but work from an external source like an USB stick (or HDD). I would suggest using a separate harddisk/SSD for that, otherwise you would have mix LibreELEC data files with your media files which is not ideal. Or ... to re-partition your current HDD, but that may open a new can of worms for you.

If you happen to have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ collecting dust, you could use that as a database server alone on an external USB drive, since the RPi3B(+) already supports USB booting. The RPi3 doesn't have gigabit or USB3.0, but it would still be okay for the "average" Kodi user.
(2019-10-27, 18:39)black_eagle Wrote: Not everything is available via uPnP sadly.  Also, I don't think there is anyone maintaining that side of things at the moment for Kodi.

Some wiki reading !!
  •  
Hi Black Eagle. I have been doing my homework, and thought that I was well on the way to getting a shared database system running. However, I have reached a block and I am just going round in circles!

I have activated a MariaDB server (as included with the latest LibreELEC release) on the RPi 4. I can access the server from my Windows 10 computer using MySQL Workbench and the Root/Kodi passwords. As yet, no database has been created. The Music Files and Artist Information Folder are stored on a USB3 drive connected to the RPi 4. This has a fixed IP Address and the folders are available via the local network using Windows Explorer and Samba.

Kodi state that the Music Library is empty. Unfortunately, whatever method I try, I cannot populate the new database. When I attempt to link to the files on the USB Drive (which were fine before) I get warnings regarding 'Remote Shares' not being available. However, the files are certainly shareable. Is it something to do with the USB drive being on the Host? Kodi state that the database is created automatically, but I can't make sense of the Import/Export instructions!!
(2019-11-05, 00:24)wyvernuk Wrote: Is it something to do with the USB drive being on the Host?

Shouldn't be.  How far have you got with adding the share to Kodi ?  Did you add it via 'browse for network share' and Kodi could see and add the share properly there, or is that where you get the warning ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-11-05, 00:24)wyvernuk Wrote: Kodi state that the Music Library is empty. Unfortunately, whatever method I try, I cannot populate the new database.

Kodi's debug log (wiki) file should mention any hiccups towards the database access. Provide the log via a pastebin website so we can have a look.
(2019-11-05, 09:59)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-05, 00:24)wyvernuk Wrote: Kodi state that the Music Library is empty. Unfortunately, whatever method I try, I cannot populate the new database.

Kodi's debug log (wiki) file should mention any hiccups towards the database access. Provide the log via a pastebin website so we can have a look.    
Hi Klojum and other friendly helpers. I don't know how to use Pastebin, but here is a Dropbox link to the zipped Kodi logfile if that will do: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/swwky0qp7ww4x...8QNva?dl=0

This is what happened when I booted-up LibreELEC:
  • Powered on: LibreELEC 9.1.501
  • Checked Music: Your library is currently empty
  • Entered Files Section: Kodi rebooted showing the Start Screen
  • Albums, and Artist details could be scraped. However, refreshing did not allow local information from Artist Information NFO files to be added. 
  • Music>Sources : empty
  • Music>Files>Add Music: typing //smb/var/media/Maxtor 1/:  Kodi (I believe) complained about a SHARE. However, when I added the path anyway, the files seemed to be available.
  • Looking at the logfiles: It seems that Kodi cannot link to the SQL (MariaDB) Database for some reason. It then appears to reboot and falls-back to the native Database with reduced functionality.
It imagine that I have messed-up the system. Perhaps I should perform a Kodi 'factory reset' and start again; double checking the password situation. Is there an additional 'Samba Password' configuration file somewhere that needs to be modified?
(2019-11-05, 17:37)wyvernuk Wrote: I don't know how to use Pastebin
Kodi has its own pastebin webpage, see the red bold link near the "Post Reply" button below.
Once you have pasted your log/text/whatever into that page, then you click on the floppy disk to save the contents.
Then you can copy/paste the now new URL from that webpage into your forum post.
Trust us, it is not rocket science. Wink
(2019-11-05, 17:37)wyvernuk Wrote: Looking at the logfiles: It seems that Kodi cannot link to the SQL (MariaDB) Database for some reason. It then appears to reboot and falls-back to the native Database with reduced functionality.

sql:
2019-04-11 17:29:11.270 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version Addons27
2019-04-11 17:29:11.271 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version ViewModes6
2019-04-11 17:29:11.272 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version Textures13
2019-04-11 17:29:11.286 T:2881905520 NOTICE: MYSQL: Connected to version 10.3.14-MariaDB
2019-04-11 17:29:11.303 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version MyMusic72
2019-04-11 17:29:11.309 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version MyVideos116
2019-04-11 17:29:11.311 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version TV32
2019-04-11 17:29:11.312 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version Epg12

It seems me that your MariaDB server is running just fine.

cpp:
2019-04-11 17:29:09.420 T:3011551248 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Level 0 is the default logging level. When you enable debugging, you will go to level 1 or 2. Instructions are in the Kodi wiki of the debug log (wiki) page.
With a higher logging level, there will be more specific details in the log file.

Code:
sources://music.tbn

Tbn is a file extension that is no longer in use in Kodi. It use to be in XBMC some 4-5 years ago, and it's simply a renamed jpg file. Now all fanart files are direct jpg files.

Code:
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting //smb/var/media/Maxtor 1/

I think your network sources have some typos in them.
Lightbulb 
(2019-11-05, 18:14)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-05, 17:37)wyvernuk Wrote: I don't know how to use Pastebin
Kodi has its own pastebin webpage, see the red bold link near the "Post Reply" button below.
Once you have pasted your log/text/whatever into that page, then you click on the floppy disk to save the contents.
Then you can copy/paste the now new URL from that webpage into your forum post.
Trust us, it is not rocket science. Wink   

Thank you Klojum. I hadn't realised that the red text was an active link to a custom kodi webpage!    Rolleyes
(2019-11-05, 18:26)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-11-05, 17:37)wyvernuk Wrote: Looking at the logfiles: It seems that Kodi cannot link to the SQL (MariaDB) Database for some reason. It then appears to reboot and falls-back to the native Database with reduced functionality.
sql:
2019-04-11 17:29:11.270 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version Addons27
2019-04-11 17:29:11.271 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version ViewModes6
2019-04-11 17:29:11.272 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version Textures13
2019-04-11 17:29:11.286 T:2881905520 NOTICE: MYSQL: Connected to version 10.3.14-MariaDB
2019-04-11 17:29:11.303 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version MyMusic72
2019-04-11 17:29:11.309 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version MyVideos116
2019-04-11 17:29:11.311 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version TV32
2019-04-11 17:29:11.312 T:2881905520 NOTICE: Running database version Epg12

It seems me that your MariaDB server is running just fine.

cpp:
2019-04-11 17:29:09.420 T:3011551248 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Level 0 is the default logging level. When you enable debugging, you will go to level 1 or 2. Instructions are in the Kodi wiki of the debug log (wiki) page.
With a higher logging level, there will be more specific details in the log file.

Code:
sources://music.tbn

Tbn is a file extension that is no longer in use in Kodi. It use to be in XBMC some 4-5 years ago, and it's simply a renamed jpg file. Now all fanart files are direct jpg files.

Code:
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting //smb/var/media/Maxtor 1/

I think your network sources have some typos in them.      
Thank you for spending time looking at the logs. I'll increase the logging level and see if that sheds some light on the problem. I'll also look for network source typos.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie's First Kodi System0