• 10(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2019-11-05, 13:58)noggin Wrote: If the difference is just reported subjective differences between different TVs displaying DV content and those two TVs are using different DV metadata routes - then I'd avoid any assumption of correlation meaning causation - the differences could be in DV performance and nothing to do with the metadata delivery system. It could just be that the Dolby result on some models is different to others. Unless someone is actually doing objective tests demonstrating a difference with DV test signals on a display that supports both metadata routes.
The difference being reported between "player -led" and "TV-led" Dolby Vision is likely due to profile limitations and encoding differences. Profile 5 if encoded with 12-bit PQ remapping is likely to look very similar to profile 7 "TV-led" rendering. If there is no remapping done, then profile 5 content is limited to 1000 nits.
(2019-11-05, 18:16)wesk05 Wrote:
(2019-11-05, 13:58)noggin Wrote: If the difference is just reported subjective differences between different TVs displaying DV content and those two TVs are using different DV metadata routes - then I'd avoid any assumption of correlation meaning causation - the differences could be in DV performance and nothing to do with the metadata delivery system. It could just be that the Dolby result on some models is different to others. Unless someone is actually doing objective tests demonstrating a difference with DV test signals on a display that supports both metadata routes.
The difference being reported between "player -led" and "TV-led" Dolby Vision is likely due to profile limitations and encoding differences. Profile 5 if encoded with 12-bit PQ remapping is likely to look very similar to profile 7 "TV-led" rendering. If there is no remapping done, then profile 5 content is limited to 1000 nits.  

@wesk05 What does this mean for a UHD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision being played on a TV-led UHD Blu-ray player vs a Player-led UHD Blu-ray player? (Same dual stream source - but one using tunnelled metadata, the other using HDMI dynamic metadata?)
(2019-11-05, 16:35)hdmkv Wrote: Does "player led DV" mean DV from premium apps like Netflix & Amazon Prime? Can the new Shield TV do DV using Kodi for single-layer UHD rips in MP4 w/HD audio?

Hi latest Kodi is crapping out a bit with the 2019 especially with high hit rate 4K hdr (IDK) fir your info the latest beta of Plex plays single layer dv in MP4 on the new shield, it also does resolution switching, oops 😬
MP4 does not support Atmos TrueHD.
Yes that does seem to be the compromise currently, I’m following a thread where someone has muxed Atmos in later and modified a filter to playback on a pc, it’s only a matter of time...
I use now the latest Plex Beta but Dolby Vision not work?
(2019-11-05, 16:35)hdmkv Wrote: Does "player led DV" mean DV from premium apps like Netflix & Amazon Prime? Can the new Shield TV do DV using Kodi for single-layer UHD rips in MP4 w/HD audio?

My understanding is that player-led DV is where the player outputs dynamic metadata over HDMI separate to the video signal - I think this may also be called DV Low Latency.  The Apple TV 4K uses it, as do Sony DV TVs and the Sony X700 DV Blu-ray player. (I think some other UHD Blu-ray DV players have had an upgrade to support it)   This means the TV can use regular HDMI metadata extraction techniques and has no real processing to do to extract the metadata - and the player doesn't have to embed any DV data within the actual video contents of the HDMI signal.

TV-led DV is where the metadata is tunnelled within the video signal itself (i.e. 'hidden' in the actual video signal - a bit like an invisible watermark) - and was introduced by Dolby because at the time they launched DV there was no standard for dynamic metadata over HDMI. Effectively the DV metadata is 'buried' within the YCrCb content of the actual video signal.   A TV compatible with TV-led DV metadata has to process the actual YCrCb video coming into it over HDMI using Dolby proprietary algorithms to extract the metadata from the actual video that makes up the picture.  This requires a lot more processing in the TV to deliver the same metadata that a player-led implementation just sends over HDMI using HDMI's metadata signalling protocols that were added to the standard after DV initially came to market.

First generation UHD Blu-ray players with DV output TV-led DV dynamic metadata - as there was no HDMI standard ratified at that point to carry dynamic metadata.  

That's my understanding of the difference between the two standards.

Internal players running on the TV itself, presumably don't use either - as they aren't using HDMI interconnects - but the DV metadata is presumably not buried in the incoming video contents but instead in SEI-type signalling in the HEVC DV stream ?
(2019-11-06, 10:56)Schrotty Wrote: I use now the latest Plex Beta but Dolby Vision not work?

It does with single layer MP4 files, you need an output resolution set that states DV & HDR10 on the shield (12 bit).
(2019-11-06, 12:08)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2019-11-06, 10:56)Schrotty Wrote: I use now the latest Plex Beta but Dolby Vision not work?

It does with single layer MP4 files, you need an output resolution set that states DV & HDR10 on the shield (12 bit).

I use 4K 50Hz HDR and DV on the Shield.
(2019-11-06, 13:02)Martin_Kurth Wrote:
(2019-11-06, 12:08)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
Is

Then you need too set match refresh rate in the app, your file will almost certainly be 23.976
(2019-11-06, 14:56)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2019-11-06, 13:02)Martin_Kurth Wrote:
(2019-11-06, 12:08)DaMacFunkin Wrote: Is

Then you need too set match refresh rate in the app, your file will almost certainly be 23.976 

This has nothing to do with whether DV goes or not?
Has anyone found a way to disable the netflix button on the remote yet?

Its annoying me accidentally clicking it already Sad

Everything else about this box is amazing.
Has anyone tried playing VC-1 files using the new shield? I've tried playing in Kodi, but the screen goes black for a few seconds then goes back to the menu. Strangely, the Plex app inside Kodi direct plays them fine. 

(2019-11-06, 17:41)docwra Wrote: Has anyone found a way to disable the netflix button on the remote yet?

Its annoying me accidentally clicking it already Sad

Everything else about this box is amazing.
I installed "Button Mapper" and changed it to a Kodi button. You can also disable buttons using the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...homebutton
(2019-11-05, 14:47)wrxtasy Wrote: The Darker DV picture output results were one of the reasons why I avoided the DV capable Sony OLED's.

@noggin here is another Sony OLED thread where Dark DolbyVision picture output problems are talked about in detail:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comment...sony_oled/

(2019-11-05, 18:41)noggin Wrote: @wesk05 What does this mean for a UHD Blu-ray with Dolby Vision being played on a TV-led UHD Blu-ray player vs a Player-led UHD Blu-ray player? (Same dual stream source - but one using tunnelled metadata, the other using HDMI dynamic metadata?) 
I have noticed perceptual differences between the two modes in my setup LG C8 and Oppo 205. I have not done any objective testing to positively comment on this.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1