irDA in windows 10 for remote ir hand controls
I have an old hauppauge 950q that seems to be working.  The wintv seems to work.  I assume kodi will integrate a local schedule for recording purposes but I am not there yet.  I have the remote for it but no way to receive the ir in Windows 10. The note have read say that the irDA networking device does not work well in Windows 10 even with the right drivers.  I am trying to build this computer as a video capture device but have a hand control.  Is there an easy way or do most just use a wireless mouse?  I can't see the tv screen that far away and would need to put the pc screen next to me to see it. (getting old).
I read some stuff about windows 10 not mapping ir devices to the network even though the drivers are there.  Please help me.  Thanks so much.
(2019-11-08, 22:26)iconn2222 Wrote: I have an old hauppauge 950q that seems to be working.  The wintv seems to work.  I assume kodi will integrate a local schedule for recording purposes but I am not there yet.  I have the remote for it but no way to receive the ir in Windows 10. The note have read say that the irDA networking device does not work well in Windows 10 even with the right drivers.  I am trying to build this computer as a video capture device but have a hand control.  Is there an easy way or do most just use a wireless mouse?  I can't see the tv screen that far away and would need to put the pc screen next to me to see it. (getting old).
I read some stuff about windows 10 not mapping ir devices to the network even though the drivers are there.  Please help me.  Thanks so much.

I don't think the Hauppauge USB TV receivers use IrDA for their infra red receivers.  Very few IR remote controls (other than a few older cable boxes) used IrDA for remote controls.  Most consumer gear uses a much simpler standard like RC5/RC6 etc.  and thus totally different drivers.  The Hauppauge IR receiver is likely to be supported within the Hauppauge drivers themselves.  I wouldn't equate IrDA support with IR remote control support.

(IrDA network support is a red herring I think. That was used in the early 00s to allow ancient mobile phones to talk to ancient laptops (though I think some used IrDA serial instead) - which all pre-dated WiFi and Bluetooth etc. I used to use IrDA for syncing an ancient Ericsson brick mobile phone with a Psion Series 5 PDA in the very early 00s)

Also worth remembering that Kodi itself doesn't have any TV recording functionality built in.  Kodi has support for 'PVR front ends' for various back-end PVR systems - and you install the correct front-end depending on what back-end PVR server you are running.

Lots of us run TV Headend (which is a lightweight Linux PVR back-end) on small devices like Raspberry Pis.  Others will use NextPVR or similar - which I believe runs on Windows.  It's entirely possible to run Kodi and the PVR back-end on the same PC of course (many of us don't as we site the back-end recording server out of our main living area to keep that quiet and free of devices)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
irDA in windows 10 for remote ir hand controls0