Linux Ubuntu 19.10 / POLARIS10 / VAAPI (BOB) Deinterlacing problem
Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 1910 with Polaris GPU. Installed Kodi is 18.4+git20191019.1041-final-0eoan
I am able to use VAAPI with `ffmpeg` etc.. Here is the `vaainfo` output:

text:
libva info: VA-API version 1.5.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_5
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.5 (libva 2.5.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 19.2.1 for Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.33.0, 5.3.0-19-generic, LLVM 9.0.0)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc

The first problem I am having is that If 'VAAPI (BOB)' is selected for deinterlacing, the picture is only on upper half of the screen. the lower half looks like repeat of lowest line of pixels. Then I have some stability issues with VAAPI but perhaps most important problem is being able to use the whole screen Smile

Is this a known problem? any way to debug or fix this issue without disabling hardware acceleration? The only deinterlacing options are BOB and Motion Adaptive.

Thanks!
Choose: Motion Adaptive and save for all files. Bob is only default cause there is some HW that does not support MADI.

If this looks similar ugly open a bugreport with the mesa people. Make sure to post them a screenshot.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-10, 08:17)fritsch Wrote: Choose: Motion Adaptive and save for all files. Bob is only default cause there is some HW that does not support MADI.

If this looks similar ugly open a bugreport with the mesa people. Make sure to post them a screenshot.
@fritsch Motion adaptive seems to be working, but it is somewhat ugly. Disabling vaapi results in better deinterlacing... But it results in high CPU usage with 4K video files. The difference in CPU core usage is like <10% with VAAPI enabled and 80%-90% with VAAPI disabled.

So I should open a bugreport to mesa people... I wonder what I should put there. It is strange that there is no other person who seems to be having this exact problem....
Mesa's MADI is implemented using shaders. It does not use UVD. VAAPI on intel uses internal functions of the media pipeline.

One question: Which 4k content do you need to deinterlace? I hope absolutely none.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-10, 06:34)yurtesen Wrote: Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 1910 with Polaris GPU. Installed Kodi is 18.4+git20191019.1041-final-0eoan

The first problem I am having is that If 'VAAPI (BOB)' is selected for deinterlacing, the picture is only on upper half of the screen. the lower half looks like repeat of lowest line of pixels. Then I have some stability issues with VAAPI but perhaps most important problem is being able to use the whole screen Smile

Is this a known problem? any way to debug or fix this issue without disabling hardware acceleration? The only deinterlacing options are BOB and Motion Adaptive.

Thanks!

i have the same problem with ryzen 3200g with radeon vega 8 (polaris).
might help upgrade to latest mesa and drm from https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ub...ilter=eoan
(2019-11-10, 20:57)fritsch Wrote: Mesa's MADI is implemented using shaders. It does not use UVD. VAAPI on intel uses internal functions of the media pipeline.

One question: Which 4k content do you need to deinterlace? I hope absolutely none.
I meant if I disable VAAPI, I am able to use other deinterlacing options which are CPU based. But then I am not able to use h264/h265 decoding on hardware also.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 19.10 / POLARIS10 / VAAPI (BOB) Deinterlacing problem0