• 11(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2019-11-06, 18:47)IdaSig Wrote: Has anyone tried playing VC-1 files using the new shield?

Just tried both samples found here and they work fine.
(2019-11-06, 18:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-05, 14:47)wrxtasy Wrote: The Darker DV picture output results were one of the reasons why I avoided the DV capable Sony OLED's.

@noggin here is another Sony OLED thread where Dark DolbyVision picture output problems are talked about in detail:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comment...sony_oled/  

I'm not in any way questioning differences between displays handling of content - though it would be interesting to know which is 'correct' in PQ terms (and what Dolby would agree were more correct in DV terms).  My question was more whether TV-led vs Player-led metadata routes were relevant to it in the context of the Shield TV 2019 using Player-led metadata (as I believe is does - as does the Apple TV I believe)
Hi guys. I am thinking to buy Nvidia shield pro 2019. Anyone tested the new Shield with Kodi and 4k HDR movies? I want to know how things going with auto frame rate and auto colorspace issues when playing streamed and local mixed content (4k, 4k hdr, 1080p, 720p and vice versa) in Kodi on the Shield? Everything is automatically fine or i will have problems (washed out colors - resolutions issues) with the Shield? I don't care for Netflix YouTube 4k hdr/Dolby Vision as i own an LG 65E9 tv and i can watch this content through LG WebOS perfectly nice already. I care only for KODI LEIA. Thanks
No need to use the white list now,if we want to use the AI, we just have to set to 4K ?
(2019-11-08, 00:56)Ogreen Wrote: No need to use the white list now,if we want to use the AI, we just have to set to 4K ?

No, use the whitelist or Kodi will scale to 4K.
thanks Wink
(2019-11-08, 08:24)Hitcher Wrote:
(2019-11-08, 00:56)Ogreen Wrote: No need to use the white list now,if we want to use the AI, we just have to set to 4K ?

No, use the whitelist or Kodi will scale to 4K. 
thats not right. I use the new Shield TV Pro 2019. Only Whitelisted 4k Resolutions. While a 1080p Movie is running you can see in the AI Upscaling Menu that AI is doing the Upscale.

When you would whitelist 1080 resolution - Kodi will switch the resolution to 1080 and your TV will do the scaling.
So - both of you are right, but not as you might imagine it :-)

If you output 1080 (really output 1080 in hdmi settings), but your TV is 4k, your TV will take the 1080 input and upsale it internally
If you output 4k (hdmi configuration to do 4k) and play a 1080p video in kodi, media codec surface will do the upscaling transparently to kodi, if this method is then called AI or whatever -> black box.

On non android platforms, where the Render actually renders in OpenGLES, kodi "does" the upscaling, but in mediacodec surface case it just "instruments" the mediacodec to do its job.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So, why does kodi allow switching resolutions?

Some people think that their TV, their AVR - whatever, is the best upscaler on this planet. Therefore they want kodi to output in the native resolution of the Video, so that their TV / AVR can then upscale this resolution to the native resolution of the TV.
With nvidia's AI scaler (funny btw. what one calles AI today), you have the superior scaler _IN_ your shield, means: set the output to the native resolution for your TV, e.g. 3840x2160 and just enable refreshrate switching without adding other resolutions to the whitelist (besides 3840x2160), that way mediacodec-surface (internally, without kodi influence) will do the scaling of the video surface.

Got it?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-08, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: So, why does kodi allow switching resolutions?

Some people think that their TV, their AVR - whatever, is the best upscaler on this planet. Therefore they want kodi to output in the native resolution of the Video, so that their TV / AVR can then upscale this resolution to the native resolution of the TV.
With nvidia's AI scaler (funny btw. what one calles AI today), you have the superior scaler _IN_ your shield, means: set the output to the native resolution for your TV, e.g. 3840x2160 and just enable refreshrate switching without adding other resolutions to the whitelist (besides 3840x2160), that way mediacodec-surface (internally, without kodi influence) will do the scaling of the video surface.

Got it?
Thanks that is helpful.
those of you that have both the old Shield and this new 2019 one - can you see any benefit in updating?  i've watched the yotuube reviews and it seems there is zero reason to update.
my first reason to update was the availability of Dolby Vision - so i can use one device for all.

For me the new Shield seems quicker than the old one - in loading apps and working with them.

The AI upscaler is the other benefit - i own a LG B8 - the upscaler from TV is working good - but as i can see the AI Upscaler of the new Shield does it better.

So for me the update is right.

You can sell the 2017 Shield for a good price - so the update cost is not that much.
(2019-11-08, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: So, why does kodi allow switching resolutions?

And those people that think that, do Not have any limitations on Apps used on such devices or limitations on the fps of source video content.

2019 Nvidia Shield AI upscaling settings (click)

(2019-11-06, 18:47)IdaSig Wrote: Has anyone tried playing VC-1 files using the new shield? I've tried playing in Kodi, but the screen goes black for a few seconds then goes back to the menu. Strangely, the Plex app inside Kodi direct plays them fine. 

(2019-11-06, 17:41)docwra Wrote: Has anyone found a way to disable the netflix button on the remote yet?

Its annoying me accidentally clicking it already Sad

Everything else about this box is amazing.
I installed "Button Mapper" and changed it to a Kodi button. You can also disable buttons using the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...homebutton 
Just testing this but cant work it out. Can you tell me the precise instructions?
Hi there,
I would like to know: The Kodi  netflix addon (inputstream) allow to play content 4K, with atmos sound , with proper framerate?
The automatic framerate switch works good, when I play my movie collection from my Nas, or from network generally?
What is best resolution to use main Kodi in Nvidia ShieldTv , 2160p 60 Hz?
Thanks
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1