Apple TV 4 reinstalling Kodi every week?
Reading the wiki it says I have to install Kodi every 7 days? Is there no work around for that? I wanted a Apple TV 4 as media unit but having to install Kodi every week won’t do it for me.
You can pay Apple for a developer account ($99) to get 365 days of sideloading. Or there are some 3rd party services that provide this. It’s against Apple T&C so May get banned etc.

Or you can jailbreak and install (unsure if this is currently possible)
Or you can use MrMC (which is in the App Store) - which is a fork of Kodi with all the functionality that breaches Apple's App Store Ts and Cs removed. (Mainly add-on support).  PVR support is included for the main PVR platforms in MrMC.
(2019-11-17, 06:41)noggin Wrote: Or you can use MrMC (which is in the App Store) - which is a fork of Kodi with all the functionality that breaches Apple's App Store Ts and Cs removed. (Mainly add-on support).  PVR support is included for the main PVR platforms in MrMC.

All options sounds like either to expensive or it might get disabled any day.
A Nvidia shield tv seems to do the job and no worries about it getting banned.
(2019-11-17, 10:09)Exstaz Wrote:
(2019-11-17, 06:41)noggin Wrote: Or you can use MrMC (which is in the App Store) - which is a fork of Kodi with all the functionality that breaches Apple's App Store Ts and Cs removed. (Mainly add-on support).  PVR support is included for the main PVR platforms in MrMC.

MrMC is a official App in the App Store, highly optimized for the Apple TV and a 1 time puchase of around 6€. No brainer if you are on the Apple Tv

MrMC will not get banned, 100% certain of that. Talk of banning is just FUD.

It’s a legit tvOS App that has met Apple’s stringent App Store checks to even be available in the first place.

(2019-11-17, 12:35)wrxtasy Wrote:

It’s a legit tvOS App that has met Apple’s stringent App Store checks to even be available in the first place.

Ok so that is doing just the same thing as Kodi? Will it passthrough dts-hd to?

Also I run all of my nas do I need a media server setup?
The (main) blocking point for Kodi in the Apple store is our expandability via XML/Python addons and repos.

MrMC has removed that (or at least made it so only addons they provide and curate can be added, no third party repos or addons), and so they can be accepted into the store.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2019-11-17, 12:47)Exstaz Wrote:
(2019-11-17, 10:09)Exstaz Wrote: All options sounds like either to expensive or it might get disabled any day.

Haven't checked recently - but AFAIK the Apple TV 4K does lossless decode of DTS HD MA (and HRA) and Dolby True HD - rather than bitstreaming. Unless you have 96 or 192kHz tracks this is fully lossless decode - the only thing missing is stuff like dial norm metadata and 5.1->2.0 mix down stuff that you would be unlikely to need. It doesn't handle True HD + Atmos or DTS:x though.

Quote:Also I run all of my nas do I need a media server setup? 

Just as with Kodi you can point MrMC to an NFS or SMB share on your NAS for media playback. It's basically Kodi without the ability to add third party add ons.
(2019-11-17, 12:47)Exstaz Wrote:
(2019-11-17, 10:09)Exstaz Wrote: All options sounds like either to expensive or it might get disabled any day.

Also I run all of my nas do I need a media server setup?

The only thing the ATV 4K cannot basically do is install Kodi from the tvOS App Store and do lossless Bluray Rip Atmos / DTS:X audio passthrough. You lose the height component of that type of audio on the ATV 4K.

However All audio like 5.1 / 7.1 AC3, DTS, DD+ (with lossy Atmos), Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA is lossless decoded into 24bit 48kHz LPCM.

For no loss in audio quality

All HD audio capable AVR’s can handle 7.1 LPCM audio input.

It does not really matter if an AVR does the audio decoding or the ATV 4K. Audio output will be bitwise identical, using standard audio decode algorithms.

I cannot tell the difference aurally between my Yamaha AVR decoding Audio to LPCM vs the Apple TV 4K doing it. Sounds the same.

There is a lot of Apple TV 4K / MrMC info in the following review: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

I got a Apple TV4 today, not the 4K version. I got a great deal on it and well I don’t have 4K or 4K content. So all should be working in the background? Just set MrMc or Kodi to send out 5.1 audio?
(2019-11-17, 15:58)wrxtasy Wrote: The only thing the ATV 4K cannot basically do is install Kodi from the tvOS App Store and do lossless Bluray Rip Atmos / DTS:X audio passthrough. You lose the height component of that type of audio on the ATV 4K.

However All audio like 5.1 / 7.1 AC3, DTS, DD+ (with lossy Atmos), Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA is lossless decoded into 24bit 48kHz LPCM.

For no loss in audio quality

All HD audio capable AVR’s can handle 7.1 LPCM audio input.

It does not really matter if an AVR does the audio decoding or the ATV 4K. Audio output will be bitwise identical, using standard audio decode algorithms.

I cannot tell the difference aurally between my Yamaha AVR decoding Audio to LPCM vs the Apple TV 4K doing it. Sounds the same.

There is a lot of Apple TV 4K / MrMC info in the following review: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219 

I should add that this is only the case for DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD tracks in 48kHz, which is the vast majority of releases. If you have a rare 96kHz or 192kHz soundtrack, this will be downsampled to 48kHz, so will not be 'lossless'. There are only a relatively small number of releases with >48Khz tracks - but they do exist. If you want these tracks to play losslessly, the Apple TV 4K is probably not for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4 reinstalling Kodi every week?0