Issue with 24 bit DTS files
Hi,

This is probably me not quite understanding how things work...

I have some DTS files. Audio only. Files are reported as 24 bits by mediainfo. When played they are shown as 8 bit using the Aeon MQ 8 skin. Is that expected behavior? DTS passthrough is enabled and the display on the receiver shows DTS. Using HDMI.

/M
What OS?
(2019-11-15, 22:32)jjd-uk Wrote: What OS?

Sorry for not specifying that. Nvidia Shield. And it’s a 5,1 channel DTS file.

/M
(2019-11-15, 22:29)depechefan Wrote: When played they are shown as 8 bit using the Aeon MQ 8 skin

Have you tried with other skins to see if they report the same ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-11-16, 09:53)black_eagle Wrote:
(2019-11-15, 22:29)depechefan Wrote: When played they are shown as 8 bit using the Aeon MQ 8 skin

Have you tried with other skins to see if they report the same ? 
I tried another one named Aeon Silvo. Result is the same. If there's a specific one you can recommend then I'm happy to try that.

This is the info displayed using Mediainfo (Windows): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aly2HCHRkhMrjNIA6XUV...A?e=xoydtK

And this is what I see in Kodi: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aly2HCHRkhMrjNIBV05e...A?e=CT5t0L

It still sounds great. Just to be clear. I'm just a bit surprised.

Thanks for helping me understand.

/M
@depechefan

If the image is on your computer, then use button 19.
If the image has already been uploaded to a public image hosting site, right click the image and select Copy image location then use button 14 and paste the link
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
ImageImage

Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully this is better :-)

/M
Funny thing... If I convert to an mka file then it works as expected. Now just need to figure out how to add cover art when playing dts/mka files.

/M
(2019-11-16, 10:29)depechefan Wrote: Funny thing... If I convert to an mka file then it works as expected

Still needs investigation then.  Looks as if the bits per sample is  getting incorrectly set for an audio DTS file as the skin uses the same infolabel.  I've got some DTS files in my music collection so I'll do some testing later today and see if I can figure anything out.
(2019-11-16, 10:38)black_eagle Wrote:
(2019-11-16, 10:29)depechefan Wrote: Funny thing... If I convert to an mka file then it works as expected

Still needs investigation then.  Looks as if the bits per sample is  getting incorrectly set for an audio DTS file as the skin uses the same infolabel.  I've got some DTS files in my music collection so I'll do some testing later today and see if I can figure anything out. 

Hi,

Any luck? I decided to try wav files containing dts to have a container I can use to provide metadata. (MKA apparently isn't able to embed album info). Unfortunately the issue seems to be the same as with raw dts files. Audio is sent as 8 bits dts rather than 24 bits.

If only mka tagging worked :-)

/M
If only Matroska file tag reading in ffmpeg worked
I'm currently listening to Dark Side of the Moon in DTS.  More accurately,

php:
General
Complete name                            : /media/sdd1/Dark side of the moon DTS/Track 4.wav
Format                                   : Wave
File size                                : 71.4 MiB
Duration                                 : 7 min 4 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 1 411 kb/s
Writing application                      : gvfs-cdda using libcdio 0.83 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

Audio
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                                 : 1
Duration                                 : 7 min 4 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 411.2 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 71.4 MiB (100%)

Kodi tells me it's 32bit audio. My 44.1/24 has gone up in bits and your 96/24 has come down !!  To be honest, as long as the stuff coming out of the speakers sounds good (and it really, really does !) then I'm not too bothered about the label being wrong.  I do appreciate that you'd like it to be right (and so would I) but there are probably more important things to fix.

I've not yet tried re-encapsulating any tracks into a different container to see if that makes a difference.
Generate a debug Log_file (wiki) to see what's going on
Also Android is far from an ideal platform if you are obsessive about maximising audio quality as we have less control available to prevent the OS interfering with the audio than Windows and Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with 24 bit DTS files0