Beginner question about kodi and video scraper (universal scraper plugin)
Hello,

do you what is the rule for a film to be detected by this scrapper ? does it really use in same time IMDB and TMDB to look for a film ? (if not present in one, seach in the second one) ?

is it possible to configure kodi to add a film in the kodi database even if it doesn't exist anywhere (add a film with title = "nom du fichier") ?

use of .nfo file is last option I could use if nothing else works, right ?
(2019-12-02, 01:04)iostrym Wrote: do you what is the rule for a film to be detected by this scrapper ? does it really use in same time IMDB and TMDB to look for a film ?
If you use the default scraper for movies (TheMovieDB) it searches at TheMovieDB site only.
If you use Universal Movie Scraper, you can set either IMDB or TheMovieDB for the search in the settings, not both.

If a film does not exist, then you need to use nfo files to add the movie. It is very simple and there is a simple template provided in Sect 4 on this wiki page... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

It would be even better if you add the missing film to TheMovieDB and share the information.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks.

Is there a clever way to try different name strategy and scrapper without loading a database in Kodi ?
For instance write filename in a website where scrappers are installed ?

Is there a kind of most used filename and scrapper used ? Result scrapper of univerdal scrapper are less exact then the stock one (tmdb). Idea would be to have a filenaming that is also working for DS station.
Currently I have 'title (year).mp4' and I read years ago that space in the title must be avoided so I use '_' instead of spaces. I wonder if it is why so easy titles are not recognized by Kodi scrappers.

Also is there a problem with those characters : é è à, etc.... ? (I'm french)

Finally is there a way to reinitialize the Kodi film database without removing the film path ? Because it is painfull to redo it each time I want to restart another scrapper configuration. (Especially when I did a mistake with language config)
(2019-12-02, 09:05)iostrym Wrote: Is there a clever way to try different name strategy and scrapper without loading a database in Kodi ?
For instance write filename in a website where scrappers are installed ?
I don't really understand what you are asking here. If you want to use the library features, then you need a database. If you don't need library, then use Videos>Files.

(2019-12-02, 09:05)iostrym Wrote: and I read years ago that space in the title must be avoided so I use '_' instead of spaces.
I am not aware of that requirement. You can use spaces. All my naming uses spaces.

(2019-12-02, 09:05)iostrym Wrote: Also is there a problem with those characters : é è à, etc.... ? (I'm french)
There have been occassional problems with certain movie titles, but generally they should work. Try it and see.

(2019-12-02, 09:05)iostrym Wrote: Finally is there a way to reinitialize the Kodi film database without removing the film path ?
You want to clear the library without losing your Source settings? Change the Set Content screen to None, and answer Yes when asked if you want to remove all items from the library. Then run a Clean Library. Then Set Content back to Movies (or TV Shows).
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-12-02, 01:04)iostrym Wrote: do you what is the rule for a film to be detected by this scrapper ?

FYI, it is a "scraper", not a "scrapper". Smile

Scraping => taking out the best bits.
Scrapping => waste material.
Thanks all, sorry here is what I asked. Is there a website (or an app or inside Kodi) where I can write a filename : "toto.mp4" then I choose a scraper and the website answer me and tell me that the film found is blablzblabla.

It would be very useful for me to find what is the better way to write all filename.

Also no one has its film library shared between DS video and Kodi ? Isn't there some tips to have filename that are correct for both tool?
(2019-12-02, 11:24)iostrym Wrote: Is there a website (or an app or inside Kodi) where I can write a filename : "toto.mp4" then I choose a scraper and the website answer me and tell me that the film found is blablzblabla.

You can visit both themoviedb.org and thetvdb.org , and type in the movie/tvshow and see if they are present.
By default, Kodi now uses TheMovieDB for both movies and tv shows & episodes. But TheMovieDB does not have a 100% catalogue of everything.

Placing your videos in the correct root folder (movies or tvshows), will give you a good start.

DS Video is something from a Synology NAS, right? That is basically a pure video player the last time I saw it, or does it have Kodi-like functionality too now?
EDIT: apparently it does. Smile
Yes it is Kodi like. But it has a server and a client. I don't think Kodi has. I can't connect with my phone to the Kodi of my mibox to watch a movie. Right ?

Concerning my precedent request, I didn't want to look for a film in these websites, I wanted to try scraper quickly to see which one find better my movies... And make some trials with filename modification.
(2019-12-02, 19:10)iostrym Wrote: Concerning my precedent request, I didn't want to look for a film in these websites, I wanted to try scraper quickly to see which one find better my movies... And make some trials with filename modification.
That does not really make sense. You cannot scrape without scraping, so whatever tests you are trying to run will be flawed.

There is a filename scraper but it just adds the file to the library with no other information so it does not matter how you named the movies, as they will just be added with whatever name you used. A really bad way to set up a library and proves nothing in your "tests"... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=348686
My Signature
thanks for answering,

am I wrong if I say that scraping need only a filename to work ? Or does it use also timing of the video ?

If I can't test without scraping, then how can I quickly test filename modification so that these basic movies (french title) could be recognized by universal scraper ?

moi_moche_et_mechant2 (2013) => not detected
monstre_et_compagnie (2001) => not detected

because of underscore ?
(2019-12-02, 23:16)iostrym Wrote: am I wrong if I say that scraping need only a filename to work ? Or does it use also timing of the video ?
It is only the filename or the folder name that is used for scraping, depending on your settings.

(2019-12-02, 23:16)iostrym Wrote: If I can't test without scraping, then how can I quickly test filename modification so that these basic movies (french title) could be recognized by universal scraper ?
The best way is to go to TheMovieDB website and check what name they use there. In your example I would name the folder and filename like this...

f:\Movies\Monstres & Cie (2001)\Monstres & Cie (2001).mkv

If you have an account at TheMovieDB, then you can check what alternative titles you could use as shown in the next image, but there is no need to do that if you just use the main title...

Also, I would stop using the punctuation in the filename as sometimes that can confuse the scraper.
My Signature
(2019-12-02, 23:16)iostrym Wrote: thanks for answering,

am I wrong if I say that scraping need only a filename to work ? Or does it use also timing of the video ?

If I can't test without scraping, then how can I quickly test filename modification so that these basic movies (french title) could be recognized by universal scraper ?

moi_moche_et_mechant2 (2013) => not detected
monstre_et_compagnie (2001) => not detected

because of underscore ?

Yes, because of the underscores.

Rename it to moi moche et mechant 2 (2013). That got me the following hit on imdb. https://www.imdb.com/find?q=moi+moche+et..._=nv_sr_sm

moi moche et mechant 2 - no year gets me a hit on tmdb https://www.themoviedb.org/search?query=...uage=fr-FR

Monstres & Cie ? https://www.themoviedb.org/search?query=...uage=fr-FR
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-12-03, 00:03)black_eagle Wrote: moi moche et mechant 2 - no year gets me a hit on tmdb https://www.themoviedb.org/search?query=...uage=fr-FR

thanks do you have an idea why the year is a problem whereas I read that it is better to write it ?

scraper is simply a search in the imdb database and the scraper take the first result ? it is as simple as it ?
(2019-12-02, 09:58)Karellen Wrote:
Quote:Finally is there a way to reinitialize the Kodi film database without removing the film path ?
You want to clear the library without losing your Source settings? Change the Set Content screen to None, and answer Yes when asked if you want to remove all items from the library. Then run a Clean Library. Then Set Content back to Movies (or TV Shows). 

hello,
If a follow your proposal, then I need to remove my source from library and then all settings for the scraper are lost. right ? I would like to delete the library, keep source path, keep scraper config and change a setting in the scraper config for instance. is there a way without removing all and redo everything ?
(2019-12-03, 01:04)iostrym Wrote: then I need to remove my source from library and then all settings for the scraper are lost.
You don't remove your Source. You just change the media type of the Source to None and then you change it back to Movies. Look at the images in Sect 4 for Step 7 & Step 8.

If you want to change the default settings for the scraper, so you don't have to keep changing them in the Source, then change the settings in Settings>Add-ons>My Add-ons>Information Providers. This changes the default settings, but does not affect the current settings in your Sources
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beginner question about kodi and video scraper (universal scraper plugin)0