• 13(current)
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature
@tkgafs the PR or @black_eagle  work merged, so it is in the v19 nightlies http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies Smile

It bumps to MyMusic73.db so will prompt you to rescan everything, but you can decline and just selectively scan those folders of your music source(s) that have boxed sets in if you are impatient.
(2019-11-30, 15:03)tkgafs Wrote: Does it work with confluence skin or is it limited to Estuary at the moment ?

It shouldn't be skin dependent as such. IE, you will get the boxsets node regardless of the skin you are using.  Navigation by disc in multi-disc albums is also skin independent although what you will see (disc names vs album name and possibly art) is dependent on skin.  'Shift' view in Estuary for example shows the disc titles, wall & infowall show the album title.  Also, you won't yet see the extra bits such as the disc title in the player unless it's added to a skin. 

Stock confluence shows more info than Estuary does, in every view.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Ok tried this out with not much success at first, which is pretty much what I expected, as i couldnt understand how it would recognise a boxset just by Album title and discnumber

I was testing on a 5 cd box set which was stored in a folder with 5 subfolders one for each CD, each folder has a different folder.jpg file
each CD has a different album tag and is numbered 1/5 2/5 etc

after first scan nothing appeared any different so i removed the folders and cleaned the db

I then tried one cd using picard (outwith kodi) and saw that it changed the ALBUM tag and added a DISCSUBTITLE and DISCTOTAL tags.

I dont use musicbrainz as i already have everything tagged the way i want, so I used mp3tag and manually changed the 5 cds accordingly setting them all to the same ALBUM name and giving each CD the correct disc title, and after scanning again not surprisingly everything works as expected

I like the way the artwork picks up the folder.jpg from the top level directory to display as boxset image and displays the correct artwork for each subfolder

what year is used for placing the boxset in the artist/year album view is it the year of the last track on the last album ?

how does the option "split albums into individual discs" affect boxsets ?
(2019-11-30, 20:06)tkgafs Wrote: setting them all to the same ALBUM name and giving each CD the correct disc title, and after scanning again not surprisingly everything works as expected

Yep, that's how it should work.  Each individual disc is a member of an ALBUM (the boxset), and each disc needs an individual title.
(2019-11-30, 20:06)tkgafs Wrote: what year is used for placing the boxset in the artist/year album view is it the year of the last track on the last album ?

Looking at the way the code works, very probably.  When multi-folder albums are scanned, the first folder is read and added as a new album, then the next is read and the existing album is UPDATED with that info etc etc.  So the data from the last directory overrides the data from the others.
(2019-11-30, 20:06)tkgafs Wrote: how does the option "split albums into individual discs" affect boxsets ?

It doesn't.  If an album is marked as a boxset, it will always be split into individual discs, regardless of that setting.  Seeing as how I wanted to split boxsets into individual discs, it made no sense to then combine them back together again.  However you navigate them, either by artist->album or boxset-node -> album or whatever, any boxset will always be split into discs.
(2019-11-30, 20:06)tkgafs Wrote: I like the way the artwork picks up the folder.jpg from the top level directory to display as boxset image and displays the correct artwork for each subfolder

Thank @DaveBlake for that, he made that bit work correctly! Smile  It is quite cool that each individual disc can have a different cover as well as a different disc image.  My Queen 'Platinum collection' has a different boxset image to the three discs inside it.  Plenty of screenshots in the thread where you can see that.  That album though is in one directory, so although I find it structurally more convenient to split multi-disc sets into individual directories (CD1, CD2, CD3 etc) the art will work even if all the files are in one directory.
This topic started off a user question/demand, which is inconvenient for a topic that has garnered some interest and is really a feature thread now. In the spirit of organizing things better, would it be possible for a mod to split the first 3 posts into their own thread? That way @black_eagle could edit what would then be the first post into a foreword including instructions for new readers how to setup this feature properly.
Yep, good idea.

@black_eagle inserted a first post for you.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-11-30, 22:47)Karellen Wrote: Yep, good idea.

@black_eagle inserted a first post for you.

Great, thanks! I guess the important post with info is #113.
@black_eagle  maybe we could ping @ronie  to update the Changes to the Skinning Engine for Kodi Matrix thread with the new infobool and labels?

scott s.
pong & done
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
First of all, great job on the boxset and separate discs feature! I also like the presentation of release dates (original vs. remaster) a lot. That said, Kodi doesn't seem to pick up on some manually tagged boxsets. Here's an example, tag screenshot from foobar2000:

[mod edit: correct link added]

I use a MariaDB central database. Do you need anything else to check up on this?
I've come across something I dont understand

what makes something a compilation rather than a boxset ?

I have a 4cd set called Anthems in Eden which i expected to become a boxset but it shows up as a compilation

the 4 cds are ripped to mp3 files and use ID3v2.4 tags only

each cd is in a seperate subfolder and each folder has its own folder.jpg

each track has an artist tag and the ALBUMARTIST tag is set to Various Artists

I have added DISCTOTAL and DISCSUBTITLE tags and when this didnt work I tried adding SETSUBTITLE but again it remains as a compilation

i have tried removing folder from the library and cleaning the library before re-inserting the folder and rescanning

Does the ALBUMARTIST tag being set to Various Artists take precedence and force it to be a compilation, rather than the boxset I would like it to be

here is screenshot of a sample track extended tags from mp3tag

(2019-12-02, 19:51)tkgafs Wrote: what makes something a compilation rather than a boxset ?

This bit.
(2019-12-02, 19:51)tkgafs Wrote: ALBUMARTIST tag is set to Various Artists
(2019-12-02, 19:51)tkgafs Wrote: Does the ALBUMARTIST tag being set to Various Artists take precedence and force it to be a compilation, rather than the boxset I would like it to be

I think so, yes.  The boxset stuff happens after the compilation stuff.

The closest I can get to mp3tag is puddletag.  If you edit the extended tags and add a new one called MusicBrainz Album Type with a value of boxset then that should do what you want and mark it as both a compilation and a boxset.

See screenshot below of my tags (in puddletag) of a 2 disc compilation album that gets added as a boxset because of that tag.

@HeresJohnny is the tag actually capitalized as Boxset ?  If so, try it without the capital letter at the front boxset
That's aesthetically unpleasing... all the MB tags use natural writing (in case this ever gets adopted). Can't you make it case insensitive on the Kodi side?
Quote:If you edit the extended tags and add a new one called MusicBrainz Album Type with a value of boxset

then that should do what you want and mark it as both a compilation and a boxset.

yes that works, although I'd also suggest the value should be case insensitive

Willl the addiition of the MusicBrainz tag have any knock on effect anywhere else when I do not have any other MusicBrainz tags in the files ?
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature0