• 29(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2019-12-12, 19:39)grizzledyoungman Wrote: Hello!  I'm thinking of picking up a 4GB Odroid N2 from Hardkernel once it's back in stock.  While I love my Vero 4K+, it doesn't play out Hi10 content or pass HDR metadata.  Those are valuable features for me.

As is my habit, I'd like to verify my plans with other people's experiences before pulling the trigger.  My goal is a device that can playout basically any content type/format, including Hi10 SDR, 4K HDR with metadata, multichannel AAC, FLAC or PCM, and passthrough all the major audio formats up to the lossless Dolby Digital and DTS variants - all with a very fast, smooth interface.  I typically run medium to light weight skins like OSMC or Aeon Nox (if possible).

Questions below:
  1. I'm planning on disabling Kodi Dirty Regions, is that a good idea still?  Will it improve performance for the Odroid N2?
  2. I'm using a Synology DS1019+ NAS for storage.  What is the best performing mounting method/network protocol?  NFS? Fstab?  Something else I don't know about?
  3. I use a Harmony hub as a remote.  My plan is to add this bluetooth module, connect the device to the hub via bluetooth as a kodi windows PC and then perhaps add an A2 IR receiver for on/off functionality.
  4. If I correctly implement the above, can I expect Aeon Nox to perform smoothly?
  5. Any other optimizations I should consider?
Thanks all!

Just FYI: we now have full metadata passthrough working in our video stack. Hi10 is still WIP however. We will have that stack out for Christmas.
(2019-12-12, 22:50)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2019-12-12, 19:39)grizzledyoungman Wrote: Hello!  I'm thinking of picking up a 4GB Odroid N2 from Hardkernel once it's back in stock.  While I love my Vero 4K+, it doesn't play out Hi10 content or pass HDR metadata.  Those are valuable features for me.

As is my habit, I'd like to verify my plans with other people's experiences before pulling the trigger.  My goal is a device that can playout basically any content type/format, including Hi10 SDR, 4K HDR with metadata, multichannel AAC, FLAC or PCM, and passthrough all the major audio formats up to the lossless Dolby Digital and DTS variants - all with a very fast, smooth interface.  I typically run medium to light weight skins like OSMC or Aeon Nox (if possible).

Questions below:
  1. I'm planning on disabling Kodi Dirty Regions, is that a good idea still?  Will it improve performance for the Odroid N2?
  2. I'm using a Synology DS1019+ NAS for storage.  What is the best performing mounting method/network protocol?  NFS? Fstab?  Something else I don't know about?
  3. I use a Harmony hub as a remote.  My plan is to add this bluetooth module, connect the device to the hub via bluetooth as a kodi windows PC and then perhaps add an A2 IR receiver for on/off functionality.
  4. If I correctly implement the above, can I expect Aeon Nox to perform smoothly?
Thanks all! 

Just FYI: we now have full metadata passthrough working in our video stack. Hi10 is still WIP however. We will have that stack out for Christmas. 
Whoa!  Awesome Sam.

Questions below:
Thanks all!

1) Disabling Dirty Regions is not needed. The new ARM-Mali G52 GPU in the N2 is a pretty snappy, powerful beastie.Wink

2) I just use NFS file sharing on my iMac and add Network shares in Kodi using the Zeroconf Browser. No need to get any more complicated than that even for the highest bitrate UHD Bluray Rips. I don’t even use a NFS username or password.

3) Yes a cheap BT dongle will work. The N2 already has an inbuilt IR receiver.

4) Out of the box Aeon Nox will be smooth without tweaking anything. The CPU GHz can be upped slightly if needed.

5) CE on the N2 is pretty much a Plug n Play solution. You can tweak HDMI-CEC to switch the device OFF / ON when the TV switches OFF / ON. Provided of course that CEC on the TV plays nice with it.

I’ve rewritten a post detailing the importance or Not of MaxCLL / MaxFALL HDR Metadata because it appears various Brands of 4K HDR displays all Tone Map differently. Details in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid...pid2897271

W.

(2019-12-13, 01:28)wrxtasy Wrote:

Questions below:
Thanks all! 

1) Disabling Dirty Regions is not needed. The new ARM-Mali G52 GPU in the N2 is a pretty snappy, powerful beastie.Wink

2) I just use NFS file sharing on my iMac and add Network shares in Kodi using the Zeroconf Browser. No need to get any more complicated than that even for the highest bitrate UHD Bluray Rips. I don’t even use a NFS username or password.

3) Yes a cheap BT dongle will work. The N2 already has an inbuilt IR receiver.

4) Out of the box Aeon Nox will be smooth without tweaking anything. The CPU GHz can be upped slightly if needed.

5) CE on the N2 is pretty much a Plug n Play solution. You can tweak HDMI-CEC to switch the device OFF / ON when the TV switches OFF / ON. Provided of course that CEC on the TV plays nice with it.

I’ve rewritten a post detailing the importance or Not of MaxCLL / MaxFALL HDR Metadata because it appears various Brands of 4K HDR displays all Tone Map differently. Details in this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid...pid2897271

W. 
Awesome.  So I'm putting together a package for this, perhaps to run in parallel with my Vero 4K+ (much love, Sam).

I would like to run the OS off eMMC - I'm neurotic about optimizing setups, and knowing this is possible is like having an itch I need to scratch.  Your instructions say: "If a user wanted to install CE from microSDHC to a plug in eMMC flash module...
(do not Plug in eMMC module until instructed to do so)" and then run installtoemmc from SSH.

I have some questions about that:
  1. Is this a suitable emmc module?  (The red dot Linux module for N2 from Ameridroid)
  2. I assume installtoemmc is run from the root directory while the device is operating normally?
  3. When you say "plug in emmc module" do you mean plug it in via the mainboard?  Or via some kind of adapter?  If so, what adapter?
  4. Is there any general utility to having a USB to emmc adapter on hand for service?
Thank you!
I found this!  https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/...odi.27166/

Super helpful.
(2019-12-17, 18:30)grizzledyoungman Wrote: I have some questions about that:
  1. Is this a suitable emmc module?  (The red dot Linux module for N2 from Ameridroid)
  2. I assume installtoemmc is run from the root directory while the device is operating normally?
  3. When you say "plug in emmc module" do you mean plug it in via the mainboard?  Or via some kind of adapter?  If so, what adapter?
  4. Is there any general utility to having a USB to emmc adapter on hand for service?
Thank you!

1. Yes it will be fine. You will re-flash it anyway. You might want to also buy the cheap eMMC Adapter if you want to experiment with any other OS image. The 16GB eMMC modules are faster vs the 8GB ones.
2. See this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2822046
3. Yes Plug straight on to the N2 mainboard. It clicks into place, direct on to the connector. Self explanatory once you have the hardware.
4. Yes if you want to experiment with any other OS image. The eMMC adapter is cheaper tho if you already have a microSDHC>SD card adapter.

The eMMC clicks on to the eMMC Adapter and the that slots into a microSDHC>SD card adapter for sliding into a PC / Mac.
Or the eMMC clicks on to the USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer and then you Plug that into a PC / Mac.

Most of us use the simple Etcher flashing software if PC flashing OS images:
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

W.

(2019-12-18, 03:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-17, 18:30)grizzledyoungman Wrote: I have some questions about that:
Thank you! 

1. Yes it will be fine. You will re-flash it anyway. You might want to also buy the cheap eMMC Adapter if you want to experiment with any other OS image. The 16GB eMMC modules are faster vs the 8GB ones.
2. See this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2822046
3. Yes Plug straight on to the N2 mainboard. It clicks into place, direct on to the connector. Self explanatory once you have the hardware.
4. Yes if you want to experiment with any other OS image. The eMMC adapter is cheaper tho if you already have a microSDHC>SD card adapter.

The eMMC clicks on to the eMMC Adapter and the that slots into a microSDHC>SD card adapter for sliding into a PC / Mac.
Or the eMMC clicks on to the USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer and then you Plug that into a PC / Mac.

Most of us use the simple Etcher flashing software if PC flashing OS images:
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

W. 

Thanks for the advice above, I invested in a New N2 box over Christmas and included 32GB eMMC + USB 3.0 Reader.

I flashed the eMMC card with Etcher and applied the latest CoreELEC stable version (9.2.1) and attached to the box straight away - no need for using micoSDs. Much simpler process.
Hi there. I would like to buy the N2 due to size, power consumption and simplicity of usage/setup. Currently I am using a dedicated pc with madvr (windows 8.1, nvidia 1050ti, kodi displayer). Has anyone done any comparision in image quality between N2 and Madvr?

Many thanks!
Hi everyone, 
I took the plunge and now have an Odroid N2, running CoreELEC Nightly on eMMC and ATV LOS 16 on uSD, which I control via bluetooth using a Harmony Hub Companion remote.
I am looking forward to fully testing this beauty and hope to learn as much as I can from you and help others as I go along. I’ve hit a couple of bumps with Petiboot dual booting, but those issues are being addressed accordingly on the Odroid forums. 

Before I start my testing, I'd like to avoid wasting anyone's time, by first receiving clearance from the professionals (you guys) that below checklist is correct:
  1. My hardware connection:
    1. ODROID N2 connected directly to LG OLED C9’s HDMI #1 using a brand new 10' Amazon Basics HDMI cable.
    2. Onkyo TX-NR636 (HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, Atmos, DTS:X) (BUT not HDR compatible) is connected to C9’s HDMI#2 (ARC) via its MAIN HDMI OUT (ARC) using a brand new 10' Amazon Basics HDMI cable. I will be upgrading this AVR in the near future, but I believe this is the appropriate audio connection in the meantime? I configured its MAIN HDMI video resolution to “4K”. Or Should this be “Through” instead? Or Does it not matter being that I’m only using the AVR for audio?  ¯\_()_/¯
    3. Make sure that you have a quality HDMI cable (Amazon Basics, Monoprice/Club3D Premium High-Speed Certified are all cheap and good cables)

1. My Kodi (CoreELEC) settings for 4K HDR & Surround:
    1. Settings > System > Display
      • Whitelist => de-select all options  [make sure everything here is white!] [ yellow means whitelist ]
      • Resolution => 1920x1080p
      • Refresh Rate => 60  [default is 59.x.. should I leave it at 60?]
    2. Settings > Player > Videos
      • Adjust display refresh rate => On start / stop
      • Sync playback to display => disabled
    3. Settings > System > Audio
      • Audio output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI Multi Ch PCM
      • Number of channels => 5.1 (currently only have 5 speakers and sub)
      • Output configuration => Best Match
      • Resample quality => Medium
      • Threshold for pitch correction => 2
      • Keep audio device alive => Off
      • Audio passthrough => ON
      • Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI
      • Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver => ON
      • *Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver => ON
      • DTS capable receiver => ON
      • TrueHD capable receiver => ON
      • DTS-HD capable receiver => ON
* I read somewhere “Do NOT enable EAC3 transcoding”, but I do not see this option available for me.

1. My TV Picture & Sound Settings:
    1. Picture Mode: Standard (user) but this auto changes when I play HDR content
    2. Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    3. Just Scan: On
    4. HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color: On for HDMI #1
    5. Sound Settings/Sound Out: HDMI ARC, Digital Sound out: Passthrough and eARC: ON
    6. Sound Settings/AV Sync Adjustment: Off
    7. Sound Settings/HDMI Input Audio Format/HDMI#1: Bitstream (the alternate option here is PCM)

1. And finally, understand my limitations on what I can/can’t play from Odroid N2 with this setup 
    1. Dolby Vision is not supported. May not be possible on SoCs that are not DV certified, like in the S922X.
    2. Amazon Video & Netflix Kodi addons = > No 4K. Only at 1080p via software decoding due to widivine DRM restrictions. Will use LG C9’s native apps instead to playback Dolby Vision and HDR content. Will my Onkyo receiver experience any audio issues?
    3. YouTube Kodi addon plays 4K fine, but currently no HDR support for YouTube/VP9.2 code I will use LG C9’s native app in the meantime.
    4. HDR10 works
    5. HDR10+ plays in HDR10 mode (although my LG C9 doesn’t support HDR10+ anyway)
    6. HLG works

Additional Questions
  1. Pressing letter O on the keyboard displays video playback info. Is this the primary tool you guys use to determine if something is playing well? Or are there more?
  2. Should I stick to testing solely on CoreELEC and avoid android completely? Meaning, are there any formats that we already know do not play well on Android, but do on CoreELEC?
  3. Do you foresee any issues I will encounter with the setup I currently have?
  4. I’ve noticed that Motion Interpolation (“TruMotion” on LG TVs) gets turned on automatically when playing Dolby Vision content. Is this normal?
  5. Lastly, is it OK to share small sample files with me that I may use to begin testing? I would prefer to use sample files that you pros have already confirmed are perfect, instead of re-inventing the wheel and potentially use incorrect encodes. I’ve only had my TV for four days and would like to fully test it in case it needs to be returned. Same goes with my Odroid N2. I read the warranty is only four weeks and I’m already in week #2. Would like to fully test it immediately.

Full disclosure: I’ve done a lot of reading on multiple forums, so I’ve borrowed numerous information to put this checklist together.  

Could you please review above details and let me know if I should change anything?

Sorry to pepper you with so much. I figured it’s best to provide as much details as possible to single-out any potential “user-errors.”  

Thanks so much for your help and taking the time to read this! I know some of my questions are not Odroid N2 specific, but I know you guys have been doing this for a really long time and I value your input greatly.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
Personally I've whitelisted everything expect the 2160p ones, as I want my Sony XF9005 to do all the upscaling.

You'll want to change this one: "Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI" to the multichannel LPCM option there. If you don't see it, you need to update your CoreELEC to the latest stable build (v9.2.1). This way you'll get proper multichannel output also with FLAC, AAC etc. sources that cannot be bitstreamed.
(2019-12-31, 18:42)Boulder Wrote: Personally I've whitelisted everything expect the 2160p ones, as I want my Sony XF9005 to do all the upscaling.

You'll want to change this one: "Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI" to the multichannel LPCM option there. If you don't see it, you need to update your CoreELEC to the latest stable build (v9.2.1). This way you'll get proper multichannel output also with FLAC, AAC etc. sources that cannot be bitstreamed.

Yes, I also want my TV to handle all the upscaling as I read it does a much better job than Kodi. To make sure I do this correctly, I will highlight everything in Yellow, and will leave the 2160p ones in White, correct? 

The minute I get home, I will double check to see if the latest CoreELEC Nightly has the "multichannel LPCM" option. I also need to read-up and understand this a little more on why this option is better than HDMI.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
Upscaling for bypass renderers like AML, Mediacodec Surface are not done by kodi.

On the shield their AI scaler is used, on AML fw dependend. Those smoke TV's scaler in a pipe.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-12-31, 19:40)fritsch Wrote: Upscaling for bypass renderers like AML, Mediacodec Surface are not done by kodi.

On the shield their AI scaler is used, on AML fw dependend. Those smoke TV's scaler in a pipe.

Thank you for that info. Just read-up on this and will enable this feature on my 2019 Shield (tube). This is my first 4K HDR TV so this is all new to me... have much to learn! Having said that, am I better off using the LG C9's native apps for Netflix/Amazon/Youtube or the Shield's apps?
(2019-12-31, 19:29)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 18:42)Boulder Wrote: Personally I've whitelisted everything expect the 2160p ones, as I want my Sony XF9005 to do all the upscaling.

Yes, I also want my TV to handle all the upscaling as I read it does a much better job than Kodi. To make sure I do this correctly, I will highlight everything in Yellow, and will leave the 2160p ones in White, correct? 

Whitelisting was never needed in the first place on any of AMLogic Linux Kodi Forks. It was only introduced to work around the pre 2019 Shield's pathetic hardware picture upscaling.

I've never been a fan of it because of the downstream user confusion and subsequent additional support burdon it introduced for AMLogic Linux Kodi.
To add even further confusion whitelisting various modes highlights an item in Yellow instead of White, try explaining that to a Kodi newbie.

I personally do not (yellow list) Whitelist anything, and CoreELEC Kodi still Auto Refresh and Resolution switches just fine.(i.e. the default setup)

You either need to whitelist virtually everything, or nothing at all. If you do not whitelist 2160p modes then 4K content will be downscaled and output at 1080p.

(2019-12-31, 19:40)fritsch Wrote: On the shield their AI scaler is used, on AML fw dependend. Those smoke TV's scaler in a pipe.

No they don't when you get 2019 Premium Smart TV's which have their own, database driven, AI Super Resolution picture upscaling tech in them these days.

Upscaling that can be used by Smart TV video streaming Apps without limitations - unlike the Shields 30fps limiit and the other problems encountered with it's AI, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

• 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4