Life after WMC (best PVR backend?)
What is the general consensus on the best PVR back end for Kodi?
No WMC/MCE.
I gave MediaPortal a serious go and just couldn't get some things working properly. I got guide data on most channels, but the speed and clunkiness was infuriating. I also couldn't get a bit streamed (DD) output no matter what options I tried. The picture quality and motion were horrendous as well.
I'm willing to spend the $39/yr HDHR guide costs if it's worth it. Is it fast changing channels? Fast to begin recording? Fast to rewind/skip etc? Passes bitstream Dolby to the AVR properly? Stable?
Basically I just want MCE without MCE! Sad

What PVR backend have YOU settled on and why?
I use next pvr, it gives all the functionality of mce and if you use schedules direct for your EPG, it's a bit cheaper! Mine is on a win10 machine, next pvr connects to the HDHR via the network. If you have a server next pvr can connect to 2 instances of kodi, it also can pass DD properly.....stable....let's just say I am now longer a satellite TV subscriber and using FTA TV through this!

It does all u can expect from a PVR.

Hope this helps
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
I'm using nextPVR with a Hauppauge quad tuner on a windows 10 desktop computer that is my back end server. I'm also using the nextPVR addon on my kodi clients which connect by wifi to the server.
You'd think that with 4 tuners, you'd only be able to watch/record a maximum of 4 channels. However, that number can be increased if you are watching/recording over the air subchannels. I've actually watched/recorded a total of 6 simultaneous tv shows with this setup.
NextPVR also allows you to create channel groups as a way of creating lists of favorite channels. This allows different viewers to have their own custom channel list.
There are many more features that you'll find useful so I would encourage you to give nextPVR a good, close look.

Sent from my GT-P3113
If you are watching the same channel, or a channel on the same multiplex, you can have more clients running, also add more tuners can also add more clients running simultaneously I cannot vouch for other backends but with next pvr and the HDHR it is easily expandable, especially as if setting up multiple tuners in next pvr u just copy the first tuner to the rest with a couple of clicks of the mouse
My Setup thread |
Thanks for the advice on NextPVR. I installed it and it's a lot better that MediaPortal 2.
Problem is when I'm using Kodi as the front end, I get the error message that says 'tuner no longer available', after about 5 seconds of live TV. Every time. Live TV works fine using just NextPVR.
Was really hoping this would be a stable solution inside Kodi.
What hardware are you using? And what OS?t I'm talking about the kodi client, or is kodi on the same computer as next pvr?
My Setup thread |
(2017-08-01, 04:51)BroDee Wrote: Thanks for the advice on NextPVR. I installed it and it's a lot better that MediaPortal 2.
Problem is when I'm using Kodi as the front end, I get the error message that says 'tuner no longer available', after about 5 seconds of live TV. Every time. Live TV works fine using just NextPVR.
Was really hoping this would be a stable solution inside Kodi.
Given the number of people successfully using NextPVR, it's probably something minor - if you want to create a thread in the NextPVR subforum with your logs, or over at the nextpvr.com forums, we'll help you with it.
I need to stay with WMC because Verizon is flagging some of the channels I watch as copy-once. I have switched to use epg123 and schedules direct to get guide data, but I see no reason to change the PVR at this point. It ain't broke....
(2017-08-01, 04:55)tjay260476 Wrote: What hardware are you using? And what OS?t I'm talking about the kodi client, or is kodi on the same computer as next pvr?

All SSD, 4770K, Hauppauge 4 tuner, 16GB, 1060 6GB - very fast box with everything on the same box.
Kodi absolutely will not play Live TV for my than 3-4 seconds with NPVR. I've got all of my Temp and main Recording folders set up right.

I should probably do a log capture - thanks for the help.
Are you using 127.0.0.1 as the ip in the next pvr client in kodi or are you using the hostname of the computer kodi prefers ip addresses rather than names, see if that helps
My Setup thread |
(2017-08-02, 14:04)BroDee Wrote: I should probably do a log capture - thanks for the help.
Yep, post those logs in the NextPVR subforum and we'll take a look why.
(2017-07-31, 04:31)jmooremcc Wrote: I'm using nextPVR with a Hauppauge quad tuner on a windows 10 desktop computer that is my back end server. I'm also using the nextPVR addon on my kodi clients which connect by wifi to the server.
You'd think that with 4 tuners, you'd only be able to watch/record a maximum of 4 channels. However, that number can be increased if you are watching/recording over the air subchannels. I've actually watched/recorded a total of 6 simultaneous tv shows with this setup.
NextPVR also allows you to create channel groups as a way of creating lists of favorite channels. This allows different viewers to have their own custom channel list.
There are many more features that you'll find useful so I would encourage you to give nextPVR a good, close look.

Sent from my GT-P3113
I am new to this forum and to Kodi as well.  Doing a little due diligence before using Kodi to see if my Win 10 HTPC with Happauge quad tuner card will work gracefully with Kodi and its add-ons to replace WMC now that I am no longer using Win 7.  Saw your post from 2-1/2 yrs ago and wonder if you would still recommend nextPVR, or is there something newer/better I should try?
Yes. I'm still using nextPvr and still recommend it.
(2019-12-03, 04:54)jmooremcc Wrote: Yes. I'm still using nextPvr and still recommend it.

What are you using for an EPG?  Are there any free options?
https://www.howtogeek.com/247311/how-to-...h-nextpvr/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Life after WMC (best PVR backend?)0