Linux Makemkv + Kodi bluray playback (add-on/libmmbd + simlink) - Kodi 18?
Hey I wondered does anyone here know anything about MakeMkv for Kodi and/or their add-on?

I got an adapter for an internal bluray drive and have been trying to play bluray on Kodi. It does work but any newer encrypted discs won't (i.e. with bd+ encryption). Makemkv can be used to decrypt these discs with libmmbd and I have seen posts about older versions with Kodi add-ons and a librelec player add-on.

I'm tempted to try building makemkv-cli on my Linux based Kodi box and see if I can get it working but I've already borked my Kodi box once this week and id like to know if it's likely to work before I attempt it.

So are they any folk out there who can comment on makemkv and current versions of Kodi? Will simlinking libbdplus to libmmbd work if I get it installed?

Or does it only work with a licence?

Any information would be appreciated.
(2020-01-03, 20:06)henryjfry Wrote: Hey I wondered does anyone here know anything about MakeMkv for Kodi and/or their add-on?

I got an adapter for an internal bluray drive and have been trying to play bluray on Kodi. It does work but any newer encrypted discs won't (i.e. with bd+ encryption). Makemkv can be used to decrypt these discs with libmmbd and I have seen posts about older versions with Kodi add-ons and a librelec player add-on.

I'm tempted to try building makemkv-cli on my Linux based Kodi box and see if I can get it working but I've already borked my Kodi box once this week and id like to know if it's likely to work before I attempt it.

So are they any folk out there who can comment on makemkv and current versions of Kodi? Will simlinking libbdplus to libmmbd work if I get it installed?

Or does it only work with a licence?

Any information would be appreciated.
Does this addon still work?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...ht=makemkv
Ok so i attempted to build MakeMkv (and also build FFMPEG with libfdk-aac) and install it on my system to get bluray playback working in Kodi and unfortunately it didn't work (im on an ARMHF processor)

So this is the method i followed:

Code:
#####download tarballs for makemkv-bin, makemkv-oss and ffmpeg

wget https://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv...4.7.tar.gz
wget https://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv...4.7.tar.gz
wget https://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-4.2.2.tar.bz2

#####install dependencies

sudo apt-get install build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libavcodec-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev zlib1g-dev

#####extract tarballs to home directory

tar xzf makemkv-bin-1.14.7.tar.gz
tar xzf makemkv-oss-1.14.7.tar.gz
tar xjf ffmpeg-4.2.2.tar.bz2

#####dependancy needed for FFMPEG

sudo apt-get install libfdk-aac-dev

#####Build FFMPEG (took a good 1-2 hours)

cd /home/osmc/ffmpeg-4.2.2/
./configure --prefix=/tmp/ffmpeg --enable-static --disable-shared --enable-pic --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-cross-compile --arch=armel --target-os=linux
make
make install

#####Build makemkv-oss

cd /home/osmc/makemkv-oss-1.14.7/
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig ./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

#####GOT AN ERROR BUILDING MAKEMKV-BIN==>MakeMKV is currently not available for architecture aarch64
#cd /home/osmc/makemkv-bin-1.14.7/
#./configure --prefix=/usr
#make
#sudo make install
#####ERROR==>MakeMKV is currently not available for architecture aarch64. Stop.

rm -rf /tmp/ffmpeg

#####UPDATE SIMLINKS FOR LIBMMBD

cd /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
sudo mv libaacs.so.0 libaacs.so.0.bak
sudo mv libbdplus.so.0 libbdplus.so.0.bak
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmmbd.so.0 libaacs.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libmmbd.so.0 libbdplus.so.0

So i was able to build FFMPEG and MAKEMKV-OSS but i was unable to build MAKEMKV-BIN for ARMHF and this is actually the important part of the software so for any ARM Kodi setup MAKEMKV WILL NOT WORK.
At this point i saw that libmmbd had been installed and I attempted simlinking libaacs.so.0 and libbdplus.so.0 anyway, but all that gave me were kodi smiley face errors when it tried to play any bluray and it attempted to decrypt aacs. Either due to missing components (makemkv-bin not installed?) or just unsupported on this system.

SO if you are on a PC or PC type processor (X86_X64/AMD64 etc) the above will work and/or you can install the precompiled versions from heyarje (and some tips below if you are having trouble getting them installed from there. I got them installed on an ARM system which I would say is in no way advisable, see all the random crap i had to do before it installed, probably more straightforward if the system is actually supported)
So I was able to get makemkv-bin and makemkv-oss installed from here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/heyarje/makemkv-beta/ubuntu

Code:
#####add the repo to your sources list

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/heyarje/makemkv-beta/ubuntu zesty main

#####add the PUBKEY for "ppa.launchpad.net/heyarje"
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 8540356019F7E55B

At this point on a supported system "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin makemkv-oss" should work
But to get it to install on mine...

Code:
#####I needed to add the amd64 architecture as they are compiled for a different system (probably not a good idea to try this but i just wanted to see if it would work, it doesnt)

sudo dpkg --add-architecture amd64

#####I then had to install a bunch of dependencies to get it to install (again because im on ARMHF and these MakeMKV files have been compiled for amd64). So the following is just a dump of my bash history - Notice all the "Fix Broken Installs" - If you absolutely want to install makemkv on an unsupported processor, FOLLOW AT YOUR PERIL!

cd ~/
wget https://launchpad.net/~heyarje/+archive/..._amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/makemkv-bin_1.14.7-1~xenial_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin
sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/makemkv-bin_1.14.7-1~xenial_amd64.deb
wget https://launchpad.net/~heyarje/+archive/..._amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/makemkv-oss_1.14.7-1~xenial_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install makemkv-bin makemkv-oss
sudo apt-get install libssl1
wget http://security.debian.org/debian-securi..._armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u12_armhf.deb
wget http://security.debian.org/debian-securi..._amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u12_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install libc6
sudo dpkg -i /home/osmc/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1t-1+deb8u12_amd64.deb

So after this attempting to play a bluray and it looks like it might work but nothing plays, presumably because it is trying to launch makemkv-bin and it wont load as it has not been compiled for ARMHF - (/usr/bin/makemkv: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error)

So i just put my simlinks back to the original libaacs.so.0.5.1 for my version of Kodi:

Code:
cd /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
sudo rm libaacs.so.0
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libaacs.so.0.5.1 libaacs.so.0

So just doing the install doesnt appear to have broken anything but it doesnt work. :-(
So long story short - until MakeMKV support Arm processors this should work for regular versions of Kodi 18.5 but there is no support for OSMC (Raspberry Pi/Vero 4k)

So if you have an arm/armhf processor this WILL NOT WORK.
(2020-01-05, 17:07)henryjfry Wrote: So long story short - until MakeMKV support Arm processors this should work for regular versions of Kodi 18.5 but there is no support for OSMC (Raspberry Pi/Vero 4k)

I have MakeMKV v1.15.1 on three machines with Ubuntu 18.04.  I am able to play blu ray disks on Kodi without creating any links.  I installed MakeMKV from source (snap install does not work).  The three systems are

CPU                                                                                               Kodi Version
System 1    AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics                   Kodi for Debian 17.6 Debian package version 2:17.6+dfsg1+1ubuntu1
System 2    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core processor               Kodi 18.6 GH:20200301-8e967df921
System 3    AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics                 Kodi fro Debian 17.6 Debian package version 2:17.6+dfsg1+1ubuntu1

The CPU and Kodi information are obtained from Kodi->System->System info.  Kodi->Play Disk works for System 1.  For Systems 2 and 3 you have to go into Kodi->Videos->File->"Your Blu Ray Disk"->BDMV and open the index.bdmv file on the Blu Ray disk.  System 3 starts playing the quickest.  For a recent blu ray such as "Spiderman: Far From Home" it took 30 seconds to open index.bdmv and start playing the movie.  System 1 took 54 seconds and System 2 took 42 seconds.  Older blu rays are much faster on System 3 than on System 1 or 2.
(2020-05-14, 23:10)abrombo Wrote:
(2020-01-05, 17:07)henryjfry Wrote: So long story short - until MakeMKV support Arm processors this should work for regular versions of Kodi 18.5 but there is no support for OSMC (Raspberry Pi/Vero 4k)

I have MakeMKV v1.15.1 on three machines with Ubuntu 18.04.  I am able to play blu ray disks on Kodi without creating any links.  I installed MakeMKV from source (snap install does not work).  The three systems are

CPU                                                                                               Kodi Version
System 1    AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics                   Kodi for Debian 17.6 Debian package version 2:17.6+dfsg1+1ubuntu1
System 2    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core processor               Kodi 18.6 GH:20200301-8e967df921
System 3    AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics                 Kodi fro Debian 17.6 Debian package version 2:17.6+dfsg1+1ubuntu1

The CPU and Kodi information are obtained from Kodi->System->System info.  Kodi->Play Disk works for System 1.  For Systems 2 and 3 you have to go into Kodi->Videos->File->"Your Blu Ray Disk"->BDMV and open the index.bdmv file on the Blu Ray disk.  System 3 starts playing the quickest.  For a recent blu ray such as "Spiderman: Far From Home" it took 30 seconds to open index.bdmv and start playing the movie.  System 1 took 54 seconds and System 2 took 42 seconds.  Older blu rays are much faster on System 3 than on System 1 or 2.
Yeah there are versions of MakeMKV for AMD systems which is where the difference is.
I attempted to compile the AMD binaries for armhf but it didnt work at all (completely borked my setup).

I can play blurays via the built in kodi libaacs but not if it requires BD+ decryption,  and whether or not the bluray can be decoded seems to be more a brand/studio thing than an age thing though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Makemkv + Kodi bluray playback (add-on/libmmbd + simlink) - Kodi 18?0