• 26(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
@wrxtasy 
A few small things to point out in case they were not addressed here or on one of your other excellent threads:

1) There is an increasing amount of reports on issues with the N2. No video, dropouts, faulty HDMI port. In addition I think it should be mentioned (if it wasn't yet), that the basic warranty is only 4 weeks (unless you buy it in EU under warranty laws). Ameridroid now offer to add 12 month warranty with some extra payment, I don't think HK does, but maybe.
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/hardker...ranty/6696

2) Is the MaxCLL/FALL issue fixed on the Vero4K+? I remember the device entry here used to have a note about it, but doesn't anymore. I haven't followed up on it so maybe it was fixed already.

3) WARNING ! - 2019 Shield TV - lots of issues being reported such as - DolbyVision Frame Drops using Netflix, Dusney+ & more (click) -- typo here :p
@wrxtasy
Please update the first post.

NVIDIA Shield 2019:
- WARNING ! - 2019 Shield TV - lots of issues being reported such as - DolbyVision Frame Drops using Netflix, Dusney+ & more (click) - Not true when you use the Refresh Rate app (click)
- WARNING ! - 2019 Shield TV - AI upscaling issues being reported - AI Upscaling Causing Video Stutter and Audio Sync Issues (click) - Not true when you use the Refresh Rate app (click)

Apple TV 4K:
- Wrong MaxCLL / MaxFALL HDR metadatas (4000/1000) - These values are important for LG TV's
- No 24.000 fps support
- Infuse is wrong with interlaced content (force 60 to 30 fps, 50 to 25 fps)
- MrMC has bad quality deinterlacing with 1080i59.94 content (only BOB, because the Yadif 2x needs too much power)
(2019-12-30, 12:58)djnice Wrote: @wrxtasy
Please update the first post.

NVIDIA Shield 2019:
- WARNING ! - 2019 Shield TV - lots of issues being reported such as - DolbyVision Frame Drops using Netflix, Dusney+ & more (click) - Not true when you use the Refresh Rate app (click)
- WARNING ! - 2019 Shield TV - AI upscaling issues being reported - AI Upscaling Causing Video Stutter and Audio Sync Issues (click) - Not true when you use the Refresh Rate app (click)

That might be true but you are then introducing other issues, like HDCP problems with various Apps.
It's a hacky App workaround, vs Android Kodi or MrMC on the Shield using a reliable Modesetting API for auto Refresh Switching.

You should not have to use an independant 3rd party App to try and achieve basic media player functionality & reliability. Apps should support and use standard API's for Modesetting. Blame Android TV video streaming Apps developers for the problems.

Google should lead the way and have a user configurable auto Frame Rate Matching settings option in Play Movies / TV App if they really wanted to set an example for Apps developers.
But Google being Google have shown really poor leadership in this area. Sad

RE: AI upscaling and the WARNINGS linked above...

What is ultimately happening is the Tail is Wagging the Dog here, NVIDIA's AI upscaling Algo is obviously buggy and not disabling itself when playing back > 30fps video content. That is sign of poor Firmware coding and a distinct lack of testing by NVIDIA themselves.

Ultimately 2019 Shield TV users are NVIDIA's Beta Firmware test Guinea Pigs, and that is not acceptable in any expensive 2019, retail released media player, especially when the same old type of colorspace problems are also once again rearing their ugly head.
Beta, Firmware hotfixes should not be needed on any retail 4K HDR media player to try and get basic, standard features like correct color outputs working.

NVIDIA is not some small independant vendor, they have massive resources on hand. Unacceptable !

Quote:Apple TV 4K:
- Wrong MaxCLL / MaxFALL HDR metadatas (4000/1000) - These values are important for LG TV's

Thx. Yes I meant to make a note before in the Tone Mapping Post previously that LG TV users will likely encounter such problems. Will try and make such a note.

Quote:- No 24.000 fps support

Yes a few users might encounter issues, if using Apps like MrMC - but it's not like the Internet is flooded with complaints everywhere you look about this, likely due to the majority of content being 23.976fps encoded.
As an example I watched a whole season of the TV series "Dark" on Netflix. Never saw any Frame rate upsets, and apparently that is encoded using 24fps.

For Pirate's complaining about such Ripped 24fps streaming video content causing playback issues - well it seems Apple justifiably does not care.

For the mainstream, paid for Internet video streaming Apps, Apple TV 4K majority it's effectively a non issue.

Quote:- Infuse is wrong with interlaced content (force 60 to 30 fps, 50 to 25 fps)
- MrMC has bad quality deinterlacing with 1080i59.94 content (only BOB, because the Yadif 2x needs too much power)

Not really relevant in a 4K HDR thread, especially Infuse App issues. Personally I have no issues with MrMC - h264 1080i50 YADIF2X deinterlacing on the ATV 4K.

W.

(2019-12-31, 01:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I have no issues with MrMC - h264 1080i50 YADIF2X deinterlacing on the ATV 4K.

Yes, 50i is fine, but 60i is choppy.
(2019-12-31, 14:35)djnice Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 01:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I have no issues with MrMC - h264 1080i50 YADIF2X deinterlacing on the ATV 4K.

Yes, 50i is fine, but 60i is choppy. 
Ah - so you have to drop from YADIF 2x to BOB (which is 2x) for 1080i29.97 (aka 1080/59.94i) content but for 1080i25 (aka 1080/50i) YADFI 2x is OK?   That must put the software YADIF 2x on the edge of what the SoC is capable of with current optimisations?
As he ducks Smile 1080i59.94 / 1080i29.97 sample please...
(2020-01-01, 20:20)davilla Wrote: As he ducks Smile 1080i59.94 / 1080i29.97 sample please...

[link]
(2020-01-02, 12:05)djnice Wrote:
(2020-01-01, 20:20)davilla Wrote: As he ducks Smile 1080i59.94 / 1080i29.97 sample please...
[link] 
Interesting, MediaInfo says it's h264 interlaced but playing it says progressive and I see no interlaced artifacts. VideoToolBox decoder is being used and I also see vtb being reset (ResetVTSession) a few times as sps changes in-flight. This is v3.9.4 under testflight now. For further discussion, best to take it out of Kodi forums into you know where Smile
(2020-01-02, 16:30)davilla Wrote:
[link] 
Interesting, MediaInfo says it's h264 interlaced but playing it says progressive and I see no interlaced artifacts. VideoToolBox decoder is being used and I also see vtb being reset (ResetVTSession) a few times as sps changes in-flight. This is v3.9.4 under testflight now. For further discussion, best to take it out of Kodi forums into you know where Smile  
Not sure what is being discussed, but it certainly is interlaced if I play it on mpc without any deinterlacing. Image
(2020-01-02, 16:30)davilla Wrote:
[link] 

It's definitely interlaced.  VLC plays it and deinterlaces to full 59.94 motion. It's definitely not 29.97 progressive or 23.976 progressive in an interlaced wrapper - it's full 59.94 motion (i.e. 29.97 interlaced with intra-frame motion)

As you say, MediaInfo confirms it's interlaced h.264, and it's using MBAFF tools (so some macroblocks will be encoded progressive if they have static content, others interlaced if they have intra-frame motion.) MBAFF is probably the most widespread interlaced coding mode for h.264 nowadays. I seldom see PAFF, but do see some separate field encodes still : 

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : MBAFF
Scan type, store method                  : Interleaved fields
Scan order                               : Top Field First
I recheck this file, it's interlaced all right. There are two checks for interlaced content. The 1st in demux parser, 2nd in VideoToolBox codec. The 1st is determined from parsing the demux packets with ffmpeg, this check determined it was progressive. The 2nd check looks inside sps for possible interlaced flags. This check determined possible interlaced.  We assumed the 1st was a 'better' check Smile I've changed code to flag possible interlaced if either check flags possible interlaced. 

Back to the issue, the AppleTV 4K is right on the edge (250 percent CPU) with this type of content and using sw ffmpeg for decode and doing YADIF 2x.  YADIF/Half is fine at around 200 percent CPU.
(2020-01-03, 17:53)davilla Wrote: Back to the issue, the AppleTV 4K is right on the edge (250 percent CPU) with this type of content and using sw ffmpeg for decode and doing YADIF 2x.  YADIF/Half is fine at around 200 percent CPU.

Is w3fdif less CPU intensive than YADIF 2x? It's a non-adaptive Vertical/Temporal filter that does a pretty decent job - I prefer it to YADIF 2x (it's not adaptive - so doesn't 'go wrong'). It was a patented BBC algorithm used extensively in broadcast equipment, but the patent has lapsed and the BBC open sourced it. (Initially via ffmbc - but its been ported to ffmpeg)

For native interlaced content a YADIF/Half isn't an acceptable solution (it adds a 'film effect' which is horrible)

I do offline deinterlaces using -vf 'w3fdif=complex:all'
How about 'w3fdif=simple:all' ? The other ('w3fdif=complex:all') is similar to YADIF 2x in CPU percent.

What the hell Smile I'll add both and you can play around with both flavors.
Just specify complex or simple - all is the default, then you can use interlaced in the forced / dropped case. https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc/commit/f...234b7fedf6 (just toying around with SW decoding and firetv 4k stick.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-01-03, 22:45)fritsch Wrote: Just specify complex or simple - all is the default, then you can use interlaced in the forced / dropped case. https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc/commit/f...234b7fedf6 (just toying around with SW decoding and firetv 4k stick.

nice, thanks.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209