• 22(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
(2020-01-26, 12:50)Statler1978 Wrote: installed 1.9.0 and noticed 2 things: amd gpu autohdr stopped working and on some mkv files whitewashing is there but on others isnt. created a debug log of the whitewash video only, as there was no mention of the autohdr setting at all in the log. i will try to debug some more to see if i can locate anything.
here's my kodi.log playing a whitewashed video. manually turning off hdr before start fixes it though. still weird as it happens on some and not all videos.
With whitewashing you mean washed out colors?

If so I have that an all my HDR movies and even most of the SDR movies.
I use a 2200G Ryzen.
No clue why that happens
(2020-01-26, 18:00)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 12:50)Statler1978 Wrote: installed 1.9.0 and noticed 2 things: amd gpu autohdr stopped working and on some mkv files whitewashing is there but on others isnt. created a debug log of the whitewash video only, as there was no mention of the autohdr setting at all in the log. i will try to debug some more to see if i can locate anything.
here's my kodi.log playing a whitewashed video. manually turning off hdr before start fixes it though. still weird as it happens on some and not all videos.

I use a 2200G Ryzen.
No clue why that happens  

@ichkriegediekri : in the other thread you posted: (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2919512)
Quote:I also tested Jogal's build with everything set to 0-255 and here everything works just fine. HDR looks like with MadVR and SDR also seems in line with what my eyes are used to.
MadVR work fine with either setup.
This is true?

Why do you say here that everything looks washed out colors?

If you have solved it, we would all appreciate you explaining how have solved it.
Thanks.
(2020-01-26, 16:14)marcopt Wrote: Clean installation version 1.9.0 performed. Cpu i7 Nvidia 1050, As soon as I start it closes immediately ..
(2020-01-26, 13:31)Statler1978 Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 13:24)marcopt Wrote: Clean installation version 1.9.0 performed. Cpu i7 Nvidia 1050, As soon as I start it closes immediately ..
could you post a log? helps in determining why it crashes. also try portable mode to see if it helps and last but not least, did you try the maximum performance profile as mentioned in patchnotes of 1.9.0?    
Thanks for the answer, I applied the correction recommended by Jogal and with the previous version (1.8.1 I think) things had improved a lot, even with 4KHDR Live TV. This is why I thought that with version 1.9.0., Things would still improve. I hope I have done the right procedure for the .log file ... which I attach.

https://paste.kodi.tv/qojakixihe.kodi   

I think crashes with Live TV by this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17267   

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17268

Because buggy code has reached the master branch....  it causes real problems

Oh no!! Kodi 19.0 is in "maintainer mode" and no longer accept unstable/unfinished code to master branch.... bla... bla

Lo digo en español: TK sois todos unos payasos.
So v20 at the earliest?
(2020-01-27, 02:22)jogal Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 18:00)ichkriegediekri Wrote:

I use a 2200G Ryzen.
No clue why that happens  

@ichkriegediekri : in the other thread you posted: (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2919512)
Quote:I also tested Jogal's build with everything set to 0-255 and here everything works just fine. HDR looks like with MadVR and SDR also seems in line with what my eyes are used to.
MadVR work fine with either setup.
This is true?

Why do you say here that everything looks washed out colors?

If you have solved it, we would all appreciate you explaining how have solved it.
Thanks.

Hi jogal

I think you have missed one or two details from the other thread.
Sadly I was too tired yesterday so I forgot to make a 2nd post here.

I had the following setup in Windows:
GPU 0-255, Kodi limited, TV limited (from Kodi wiki)
With this setup I can see BTB and WTW.
Kodi 18.5 works fine in SDR and for HDR I use MPC with MadVR. In MadVR setting the output is limited as well and it looks correct.

Testing both of the HDR builds resulted in completely washed out colors in HDR and SDR. Kodi GUI colors was OK.

So what I tried yesterday was setting the whole chain to full 0-255.
With fandagos build HDR was a lot better, but colors still lagged behind the MadVR image. SDR was still completely washed out.

Your build showed correct colors in HDR and SDR.

So there seems to be an issues when the image chain is not fully 0-255 with both builds.
Additionally fandagos build seems to have issues with Ryzen APUs since SDR was still washed out.

Be aware : I only have tested 2 files so far. I will test more today or tomorrow

My 2 cents:
I am totally greatfull that we have Kodi working with HDR.
However a really prefer some sort of automated switching from SDR to HDR, that's why I preferred fandangos approach so far. But switching could also be based on file name via some sort if plug in I guess.
(2020-01-27, 02:38)jogal Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 16:14)marcopt Wrote: Clean installation version 1.9.0 performed. Cpu i7 Nvidia 1050, As soon as I start it closes immediately ..
(2020-01-26, 13:31)Statler1978 Wrote: could you post a log? helps in determining why it crashes. also try portable mode to see if it helps and last but not least, did you try the maximum performance profile as mentioned in patchnotes of 1.9.0?    
Thanks for the answer, I applied the correction recommended by Jogal and with the previous version (1.8.1 I think) things had improved a lot, even with 4KHDR Live TV. This is why I thought that with version 1.9.0., Things would still improve. I hope I have done the right procedure for the .log file ... which I attach.

https://paste.kodi.tv/qojakixihe.kodi   

I think crashes with Live TV by this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/17267   

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17268

Because buggy code has reached the master branch....  it causes real problems

Oh no!! Kodi 19.0 is in "maintainer mode" and no longer accept unstable/unfinished code to master branch.... bla... bla

Lo digo en español: TK sois todos unos payasos.
Ah that's crap.

Just open up a patron account and keep building the HDR branch.
I am very confident that you will get rewarded for the hard work with a couple of free beer [emoji16]
(2019-12-30, 15:13)jogal Wrote: Check also "use limited colour range" setting in Kodi is OFF
Is the default but is confusing because in description tells ON in a  "regular HDMI TV".   

Actual 4K TV are full range capable so this setting should OFF.

Also in Intel/NVIDIA Graphics Control Panel should be "8 bit RGB" and "full range" settings.

And in TV settings same: "full range"

It was also commented here.

Quote:Your build showed correct colors in HDR and SDR.

This is the important thing Smile
(2020-01-27, 02:38)jogal Wrote: Lo digo en español: TK sois todos unos payasos.

If you wish this thread to remain open so people can continue to benefit from your work then I suggest you cut out the insults. I'll let it pass this time that you are frustrated with the way things have gone with your PR's.

However the Team is equally frustrated as Windows HDR support is something we would have liked to have seen for v19. The only person stopping your work from benefiting the wider Kodi community is yourself, we simply weren't sure about the code parts that toggle the OS level HDR setting. We asked for those parts to be removed from the PR in order to allow the rest of your work to be merged, then a discussion could have happened on how to best to toggle HDR state could be had without holding up introducing HDR support. Yes from a user point of view it would have been a regression from the builds you are posting on this thread, and you weren't keen to do this, but if we could have merged the basic HDR support without the toggle, then making it user friendly could have been worked on after. It maybe that we might have we eventually come to a similar conclusion as you, however we wanted more time to look at alternative ways to do this (such as using an addon).

Our suggestion of exploring the possibility of moving the OS HDR toggle to an addon seem to have been simply dismissed by you with very little consideration by yourself. It was only your insistence that your way was the only way and your refusal to operate in a collaborative manner that resulted in closure of the PR, collaboration in positive manner does not involve using threats.
For my issue with the tearing/frame mishaps version 1.8.1 is more stable then with 1.9

The power setting does nothing but setting v sync to fast fixes it, with version 1.9 the issue returns if I skip forward, doesn’t return on version 1.8.1
(2020-01-27, 12:25)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 02:38)jogal Wrote: Lo digo en español: TK sois todos unos payasos.

If you wish this thread to remain open so people can continue to benefit from your work then I suggest you cut out the insults. I'll let it pass this time that you are frustrated with the way things have gone with your PR's.

However the Team is equally frustrated as Windows HDR support is something we would have liked to have seen for v19. The only person stopping your work from benefiting the wider Kodi community is yourself, we simply weren't sure about the code parts that toggle the OS level HDR setting. We asked for those parts to be removed from the PR in order to allow the rest of your work to be merged, then a discussion could have happened on how to best to toggle HDR state could be had without holding up introducing HDR support. Yes from a user point of view it would have been a regression from the builds you are posting on this thread, and you weren't keen to do this, but if we could have merged the basic HDR support without the toggle, then making it user friendly could have been worked on after. It maybe that we might have we eventually come to a similar conclusion as you, however we wanted more time to look at alternative ways to do this (such as using an addon).

Our suggestion of exploring the possibility of moving the OS HDR toggle to an addon seem to have been simply dismissed by you with very little consideration by yourself. It was only your insistence that your way was the only way and your refusal to operate in a collaborative manner that resulted in closure of the PR, collaboration in positive manner does not involve using threats.  

There is no hurry. It is better to stop for a while than to do things wrong.

If we study it thoroughly will reach the same conclusion as me. Anyone who knows how to program Python and C++ and knows Win32 API will arrive at the same conclusion as me.

Also some part of c++ code in external "tool.exe" is per definition dangerous, hard to maintain, confusing and undocumented

edit:  HDR_TOGGLE.exe    It is already invented. Here we are going to make things better!!!

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1896973
(2020-01-27, 13:18)jogal Wrote: There is no hurry. It is better to stop for a while than to do things wrong.

If we study it thoroughly will reach the same conclusion as me. Anyone who knows how to program Python and C++ and knows Win32 API will arrive at the same conclusion as me.

Also some part of c++ code in external "tool.exe" is per definition dangerous, hard to maintain, confusing and undocumented

edit:  HDR_TOGGLE.exe    It is already invented. Here we are going to make things better!!!

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1896973

I'm not one of the really knowledgeable C++ technical guys on the Team so don't understand everything I see discussed internally, but the addon suggestion seems to have come from someone mentioning that perhaps the toggle code could be done via a dll and then ctypes dll-loading in python could be done via a addon. That means nothing to me however as it's way above my head technically.
Sounds like we will find a way to get it into Kodi, that's nice.
(2020-01-19, 18:26)jogal Wrote:
(2020-01-16, 01:49)mgittelman Wrote:
(2020-01-15, 21:52)larsete Wrote: You have stuttering or choppy playback (Like tearing)? I'm asking because maybe is the same I'm experiencing and I have described here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2916044  
I'm having the same issue.  Only on HDR content in HDR mode, and only when full screen.  Nvidia GTX 1070.  For me, the bottom 10% of the screen experiences tearing.  If I switch to window mode, then back to full screen that often seems to fix it.  This issue did not exist on fandango's fork.

On both forks though, I get content stuttering.  Probably on issue on the main branch as well but haven't tested.  

@mgittelman:  Try last version v1.8.0 to test if issues "10% of screen tearing" are gone . 
On version 1.8.0 and tearing is still a problem with HDR videos.  Power management mode is set to maximum performance.  I tried setting vertical sync to Fast, and that eliminates the tearing, but introduces a ton of stuttering so that video is unwatchable.
(2020-01-27, 19:26)mgittelman Wrote:
(2020-01-19, 18:26)jogal Wrote:
(2020-01-16, 01:49)mgittelman Wrote: I'm having the same issue.  Only on HDR content in HDR mode, and only when full screen.  Nvidia GTX 1070.  For me, the bottom 10% of the screen experiences tearing.  If I switch to window mode, then back to full screen that often seems to fix it.  This issue did not exist on fandango's fork.

On both forks though, I get content stuttering.  Probably on issue on the main branch as well but haven't tested.  

@mgittelman:  Try last version v1.8.0 to test if issues "10% of screen tearing" are gone .  
On version 1.8.0 and tearing is still a problem with HDR videos.  Power management mode is set to maximum performance.  I tried setting vertical sync to Fast, and that eliminates the tearing, but introduces a ton of stuttering so that video is unwatchable. 
Sorry, I meant to say I'm on version 1.9.0.
Since Kodi v19 is still a long way to come is there any chance of a v18 build? I would go nuts if that would be an option Blush
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2