Solved MKA file tagging support in Kodi?
Thanks for the update Dave.

The current workaround is still working for me. (Cue file - so it’s not critical for me)
(2019-07-02, 07:34)HomerJau Wrote: @DaveBlake: Your TrueHD fix works in last nights Milhouse LibreElec build (Kodi 19). Thanks! Both show correct codec on my AVR display.

Please add to 18.4 when it is forked. 😀

There’s a minor issue with Kodi 18.3 (and 19.0 alpha) where the UI showing play time is showing the seconds going up and down extremely fast for DTSHD (and both DTSHD and TrueHD in 19.0 alpha). The progress bar at top of music screen is also jumping forward and back as it progresses.

EDIT: Above now resolved by setting Kodi's TV interface to 1080p 60Hz (originally tested with it set to 2160p 24Hz)

I’m using the Aeon Nox Silvo in 18.3. But probably not skin related.
I have same issue with progress bar jumping and already have interface set to 1080p/60. I am using Aeon Nox in 18.5. Any ideas?
Hi,
tagging .mka files with chapters without cue file, containing dtshd music files, in each version of Kodi (17;18;19) : Genre, Artist, Album, Title, etc.
1) Taking it in the Lib.
2) Looking in the Database myMusicxx
3) Theres nothing wrote into the database.

tagging .mka files with chapters with cue file - including Genre, Artist, Album, Title, etc.
1) Taking it in the Lib.
3) All Information is in the Database except Genre

tagging .mka files without chapters with cue file - including Genre, Artist, Album, Title, etc.
1) Taking it in the Lib.
3) All Information is in the Database

To solve (its maybe to much work):
open mka file in mkvtoolnix chapter editor.
Export chaprters to xml file
Delete chapters in mka file in mkvtoolnix
scan mka file to lib
write chapter.xml file back to mka.file with mkvtoolnix - all is ok
It seems that mka.files are only read in the moment of scanning to the lib. (That must be without chapters)
After beeing in the lib, the chapters are no longer important - but are shown in musicosd.

Jumping of the Progressbar and the time is in each version, when setting the passthrough mode. Disabling passthrough and it ends. Jumping is only with paplayer.

I hope someone could make the things easier to handle.
Mike
Ideally Kodi will eventually load it’s music dB from MKA tags.

No chapters and a cue works ok. I’m not sure why you want to put chapters back in the MKA file? Kodi doesn’t use them, does it?
(2020-02-12, 10:58)HomerJau Wrote: Ideally Kodi will eventually load it’s music dB from MKA tags.

No chapters and a cue works ok. I’m not sure why you want to put chapters back in the MKA file? Kodi doesn’t use them, does it?

its a very strange thing. Try to use diefferent Tags in mka file and in cue file. p.e. in mka file GENRE is "Classic Music" and in cue file GENRE "classic" and you will see that Kodi reads part of tags from mka file and part of tags from cue file. If the devellopers solve the mka problem, its maybe better that chapters are in the mka files and no cue files were needed anymore. Thats why i wrote the chapter.xml back to the mka file
But if you rescan your library in future you’ll probably loose the songs/tracks again. Better just to keep the chapter file for later.

Tags in a cue must have double quotes if there is a space: “Classic Music” should work.
(2020-02-01, 01:21)HomerJau Wrote: Thanks for the update Dave.

The current workaround is still working for me. (Cue file - so it’s not critical for me)
Hi,

It has been some time since the last activity here. I am wandering about the status of these fixes.

I just tried Kodi v18.9 "Leia" and Kodi v19 "Matrix" on latest MacOS with MKA files containing AC3 from a DVD, tagged with mp3tag, and the tags that correctly registers in the Kodi library are Artist, Genre and track number it seems, both the Album and the track Title are not visible.

The tracks appear under Singles, and are called Surround 5.1.

I can provide sample files if needed.
As far as I know all Mka tags are still not read in Kodi, although I haven’t tested any recent versions.

You can create a CUE file for your mka files and Kodi will scan successfully or if using Kodi 19 you can tag and use m4a files successfully.

You can convert mka to m4a retaining the source codec with ffmpeg or with Music Media Helper’s Extract Audio from MKV/MKA tool in batch mode. Most tagging apps can tag m4a files as it’s a standard tag format (unlike mka).
(2021-01-31, 10:29)HomerJau Wrote: As far as I know all Mka tags are still not read in Kodi, although I haven’t tested any recent versions.

You can create a CUE file for your mka files and Kodi will scan successfully or if using Kodi 19 you can tag and use m4a files successfully.

You can convert mka to m4a retaining the source codec with ffmpeg or with Music Media Helper’s Extract Audio from MKV/MKA tool in batch mode. Most tagging apps can tag m4a files as it’s a standard tag format (unlike mka).

Much appreciated Homerjau, m4a works like a charm! Conversion with ffmpeg is also easy and fast, without touching the AC3 content.
(2021-02-06, 21:20)feanor5 Wrote:
(2021-01-31, 10:29)HomerJau Wrote: As far as I know all Mka tags are still not read in Kodi, although I haven’t tested any recent versions.

Much appreciated Homerjau, m4a works like a charm! Conversion with ffmpeg is also easy and fast, without touching the AC3 content.
Yes, this works indeed fine for AC3 in M4A. However is there a similar option for DTS as well? The majority of audio files for which I've been using MKA with the cue sheet workaround is DTS, for which it doesn't seem to be possible to mux into M4A (without re-encoding)
(2021-02-10, 22:04)Rico66 Wrote: However is there a similar option for DTS as well?

Yes. You may need to use latest ffmpeg.

If you are using Windows you can use Music Media Helper’s ‘Extract Audio from MKV/MKA’ tool to create M4As with any stream in the original source including DTS-HDMA, DTS etc.

If you are doing it ‘by hand’ with ffmpeg command line you may need to output to .mp4 then rename the file extension to .m4a
(2021-02-10, 23:23)HomerJau Wrote: Yes. You may need to use latest ffmpeg.

If you are using Windows you can use Music Media Helper’s ‘Extract Audio from MKV/MKA’ tool to create M4As with any stream in the original source including DTS-HDMA, DTS etc.

I you are doing it my hand with ffmpeg command line you may need to output to .mp4 then rename the file extension to .m4a
Perfect, yes this works great.
(2019-07-04, 06:46)HomerJau Wrote: I can report that Kodi will load the basic album and track info via a CUE file into its music library and play .mka files. So this is my workaround until the ffmpeg tagging is fixed.

Example (INXS - KICK 30 with individual .mka song files - only first 3 songs shown:

REM GENRE "Rock"
REM DATE 1987
PERFORMER "INXS"
TITLE "Kick 30"
FILE "01. Guns In The Sky.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Guns In The Sky"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
    INDEX 01  00:00:00
FILE "02. New Sensation.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "New Sensation"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
FILE "03. Devil Inside.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Devil Inside"
    PERFORMER "INXS"

Thank you so much once again from a new member - that did the trick for me. I've got the John Williams live in Vienna in Dolby Atmos Blu Ray from a friend. However, I've been only for the Imperial March Smile Ripped it to MKV, then left only the MKA, them split it to leave only the Imperial March, and added a cue file as you described. Added a folder.jpg for poster. Totally happy. Atmos music - DolbyThueHD quality - 188Mb. Smile Thank you again.
(2021-05-25, 16:15)CrazyDwarf Wrote:
(2019-07-04, 06:46)HomerJau Wrote: I can report that Kodi will load the basic album and track info via a CUE file into its music library and play .mka files. So this is my workaround until the ffmpeg tagging is fixed.

Example (INXS - KICK 30 with individual .mka song files - only first 3 songs shown:

REM GENRE "Rock"
REM DATE 1987
PERFORMER "INXS"
TITLE "Kick 30"
FILE "01. Guns In The Sky.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Guns In The Sky"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
FILE "02. New Sensation.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "New Sensation"
    PERFORMER "INXS"
FILE "03. Devil Inside.mka" WAVE
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Devil Inside"
    PERFORMER "INXS"

Thank you so much once again from a new member - that did the trick for me. I've got the John Williams live in Vienna in Dolby Atmos Blu Ray from a friend. However, I've been only for the Imperial March Smile Ripped it to MKV, then left only the MKA, them split it to leave only the Imperial March, and added a cue file as you described. Added a folder.jpg for poster. Totally happy. Atmos music - DolbyThueHD quality - 188Mb. Smile Thank you again.

Sorry for the freshman question, but Google is failing me. Can someone ELI5 how to make a CUE file? I have MKA files with TrueHD inside and have the same issues using 19.1.
If you have a Windows PC then Music Media Helper (see sticky threads here) has a Chapter Editor tool that will create a CUE from an MKV, MKA or MP4 file with chapters. It also has a MusicBrainz lookup to name the chapters/track metadata.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKA file tagging support in Kodi?0