Transifex Kodi Join Request
Hi,

I want to translate some strings to German and requested to join the Kodi Main Team ( https://www.transifex.com/teamxbmc/kodi-main/ ) for "German".
My request was denied but I didn't get any more details on why my request was denied. The wiki just tells me to request joining a language team ( https://kodi.wiki/view/Translation_System ) which I tried.

Is there anything that I may have missed? Do I need to have a forum account with the same user name? Do I need approval of someone first? Smile
Transifex doesn't allow to send an text message when joining a team so I'm asking here.

Regards,
Andre
MediaElch: Thread v2.10.6 | GitHub | Docs | Blog
@Klojum may be able to help with that when he comes online.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-08-12, 09:17)bugwelle Wrote: My request was denied but I didn't get any more details on why my request was denied.
Sorry for the delay, sometimes "IRL" catches on too much.

I don't know why (or by whom) your request was denied, but Transifex is not very flexible or informative in that regard. It's a simple yes or no switch in Transifex's system, and there is still a backlog of requests to handle.

First you will need to have a Transifex account (obviously), and secondly I couldn't find you in Transifex under your 'bugwelle' name.
Perhaps you have a different nickname there?
(2019-08-29, 07:51)Klojum Wrote: Sorry for the delay, sometimes "IRL" catches on too much.

I don't know why (or by whom) your request was denied, but Transifex is not very flexible or informative in that regard. It's a simple yes or no switch in Transifex's system, and there is still a backlog of requests to handle.

First you will need to have a Transifex account (obviously), and secondly I couldn't find you in Transifex under your 'bugwelle' name.
Perhaps you have a different nickname there? 
Don't be sorry. I know that very well. :-)

Yes, my username is different there. It's "AndreM96" (I had many different ones before I switched most to "bugwelle").
I'll try to join "kodi-main" for German again. I'm familiar with Transifex as I use it to translate MediaElch as well and it can by quite non-intuitive from time to time.

Thanks for helping me out.

Kind regards,
Andre
It took some processing time on Transifex, but your name is on the German list now. Smile
(2019-08-29, 10:40)Klojum Wrote: It took some processing time on Transifex, but your name is on the German list now. Smile

Thanks! I'll translate some missing strings on the weekend :-)

This issue can be marked as "solved" now (I can't do that myself or can I?).

Edit:// Oh, I can do that. Just have to edit the first post. Smile
There are currently no untranslated strings in kodi-core German.

Where exactly do you want to help?

Im asking because we tend to be a bit restrictive with allowing new German translators.

Reason is very bad experience in the past. Transifex allows everyone registered for the project to enter translations for new strings and those strings will go straight into the product without further review. And we do not have the manpower to closely monitor and correct the work of others.

You cannot imagine the quality issues that arose from that, given that we once had >100 German translators. Everything from small typos over inconsistent terminology to completely wrong translations went into Kodi releases.

Currently we are a team of <10 active German translators and we are pretty happy with the quality of the German translation and with the speed new strings are getting translated.

Unfortunately, when denying a request of a person willing to enter the team in TX there is no possibility to enter a reason which could be send to the affected person. [emoji3525]

HTH.
I just realized that one of my team mates already approved your request. Let's see how it will work out.

Before changing any existing unreviewed strings, please

• check that you actually write proper German (grammer, spelling, punctuation,...)

• we use correct "zusammengesetzte Substantive".
Wrong "Benutzer Interaktion",
Right "Benutzerinteraktion"

• unlike in the English original strings, we do not use direct speech in German!

• in any case, try to use consistent terminology. Check whether a noun or verb was translated before and reruse the existing translation whenever possible
(2019-08-29, 14:52)ksooo Wrote: There are currently no untranslated strings in kodi-core German.
Yeah, I see that now. I confused KODI Main with kodi-core. The former has around ~250 untranslated strings and that was exactly the reason why I wanted to join.
Compared to other languages, German seemed to be a bit behind.
Most untranslated strings are in pvr-* resources, though. And those aren't high priority resources.

Quote:Reason is very bad experience in the past. Transifex allows everyone registered for the project to enter translations for new strings and those strings will go straight into the product without further review. And we do not have the manpower to closely monitor and correct the work of others.
I totally get that. But Transifex also has a review feature, so I assumed that the core-team could check newly translated strings every now and then mark each one as reviewed. I may be wrong about that, though.

Quote:You cannot imagine the quality issues that arose from that, given that we once had >100 German translators. Everything from small typos over inconsistent terminology to completely wrong translations went into Kodi releases.
Oh. Undecided
Keeping everything consistent isn't easy at all. I get your point.
MediaElch for example has inconsistencies that I still haven't fixed (I don't even want to think about "Du"/"Sie"/"man kann" issues...).
And in a code base as big as Kodi, keeping track of inconsistencies may even be close to impossible.

Quote:Currently we are a team of <10 active German translators and we are pretty happy with the quality of the German translation and with the speed new strings are getting translated.
I am happy with the quality as well. I just saw ">250 untranslated strings" on Transifex and thought: Maybe I can help? :-)

Quote:Unfortunately, when denying a request of a person willing to enter the team in TX there is no possibility to enter a reason which could be send to the affected person.
I have no idea why anybody at Transifex thought that a simple "Deny" would be enough. A small text field would have been enough. :-)

Quote:I just realized that one of my team mates already approved your request. Let's see how it will work out.
I wouldn't mind if somebody removes me from KODI Main again. If you have enough people then that's great!

Regarding proper German grammar: I prefer "zusammengesetzte Substantive" as well so that wouldn't be an issue. But are there any translation guidelines available in Kodi's wiki?
https://kodi.wiki/view/Translation_System doesn't mention anything.
It may be worth adding a short paragraph that lists possible reasons a request could get denied. Saying that there are already enough people translating German (or another language) is a proper reason. I was just dumbfounded how fast my request was denied without any obvious reason and even thought that it might have been a bot Big Grin

Thank you for keeping the German translation up-to-date.

Kind regards,
Andre

PS: I found a few strings in skin-confluence that don't adhere to your guide, e.g. Kanal-Einstellungen. Or are there exceptions? I guess that's just another inconsistency which you were talking about.
(2019-08-29, 10:40)Klojum Wrote: It took some processing time on Transifex, but your name is on the German list now. Smile
Hi,
I want to help translate Kodi into Vietnamese😀, username Transifex "Nguyen_Trung_Hau".
(2020-02-24, 11:58)trunghau172 Wrote: I want to help translate Kodi into Vietnamese😀, username Transifex "Nguyen_Trung_Hau".

Re-login into Transifex, you should be a translator for "Vietnamese (Viet Nam)" now.
Hi! I've sent requests to join Russian team but they haven't been accepted nor rejected. I'm the reviewer in Anki, AnkiDroid, AntennaPod, Markor, and I want to contribute to Kodi too.
(2020-03-21, 16:00)homocomputeris Wrote: Hi! I've sent requests to join Russian team but they haven't been accepted nor rejected.

We're not constantly active in Transifex, giving us a poke via the forum is okay.
You will be the 111th translator in the Russian team, so I have no idea what all the others have been doing lately. ;-)
Try logging in again in Transifex. The invite has been sent.
I'm a member of the team now. Thanks.
(2020-02-24, 15:02)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 11:58)trunghau172 Wrote: I want to help translate Kodi into Vietnamese😀, username Transifex "Nguyen_Trung_Hau".

Re-login into Transifex, you should be a translator for "Vietnamese (Viet Nam)" now.

I am translating Vietnamese. I want to be a coordinator.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Transifex Kodi Join Request0