• 156(current)
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
(2019-12-28, 16:40)Glorious1 Wrote:
(2019-12-28, 15:45)shardlojik Wrote: The most jarring problem now is for a TV series I've added/updated in the 64bit build if I use show in Episodes then it'll throw an unexpected error and bring up an error report submission (which I've filled in and sent). Anything done previously in the 32bit build works fine. 
Hopefully @MariusTh86 won't mind if I post a link to the Dec. 22 build that fixed that problem for me, and a similar one for the metadata editor.  I'm not saying I have patience for the network performance, but it eventually does work.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/n7gtc01o6...r.zip/file 
That nightly build (23rd for me) has sorted the Episodes problem. Still sluggish, but I can live with that. The 64bit build is still fairly new and a still a work in progress, so plenty of time to tweak/optimise.
Im not able to find/update any tv show at the moment. Not sure if its something @MariusTh86 should check out or a service issue.
It's a service issue with the TVDB API which seems to be unreachable at the moment.
ViMediaManager - The Best Media Manager for macOS
Official release of ViMM v0.7a22!
  • TVDB Searching, Fetching series info and episode info have been changed to support API v3.
  • Matches TV episodes which use the absolute numbering system in their filenames. (Anime support)
  • Changing the rating of a movie or TV show now changes the 'userrating' instead, and is saved across info updates.
  • Added path viewer to the search window.
  • Disabled trailer viewing in metadata editor since it was causing problems.
  • Fixed manual downloading of trailers.
  • Folderized episodes in the downloads folder are once again all moved to the show folder instead of only one of them.
  • Many other fixes and stability issues worked on.

Download the latest release
Fresh install macOS 10.13.6 does not work at all, no media found. Is there a way to point it to media folders? Tried latest version & previous mentioned in the thread.
Go into 'Preferences' > 'Movies' or 'TV Shows' and drag 'n drop folders onto the list boxes, or press the '+' button to browse for them.
Once you've added the media folders, go back to the main window and refresh the list.
(2020-02-13, 11:10)MariusTh86 Wrote: Go into 'Preferences' > 'Movies' or 'TV Shows' and drag 'n drop folders onto the list boxes, or press the '+' button to browse for them.
Once you've added the media folders, go back to the main window and refresh the list.

It does not drop anywhere. Opening preferences first shows "did not shutdown properly, send report" and minimal choices after that, database language, media player, rename & move, no other tabs
'+' button is absent
It would be great if you could post screenshots so we can see where are you at.
No TV series metadata found 

I'm a (very!) new user for this app, which seemed to be the answer to my awful file naming of hundreds of scattered movies and TV shows that I have at last consolidated onto one NAS.

When aimed it at my NAS TV folder it failed to find any metadata at all for 125 out of 127 folders/series.   I don't know what I could be doing wrong, or indeed if I am doing anything wrong, as an earlier post above also described some difficulty in getting information, and this was said to be a problem with the TVDB site. 

However I did get metadata for one or two (BBC single programs not in a folder), and this kind of suggests the site may be working. Wouldn't it be unusual for the TVDB site not to be working for days on end?

As an example, if I choose one folder, called "Wolf Hall" [a well known and quite recent BBC TV series] and click " fetch metadata" it gives me a message that "no TV series were found, try again with fewer keywords  or an alternative title." When I try the manual search page with "search the web" menu item as the only choice, it comes back with "The TV series "Wolf Hall" could not be found." Of course both searches find "Wolf Hall"  on TVDB and the web  from a browser outside the app.

I also saw somewhere, but can't for the life if me remember what menu page on the app a message something like " Invalid JSON response from server".

This is a bit of an impediment to my eagerly anticipated renaming and reorganisation!

Can anyone shed light on this?  Is it me, or the app , or the TVDB site?

Any help gratefully received!

EDIT:  I find the programs that appear to have had meta data added were actually in their own folders which had info text files and artwork in them, so probably nothing new has been added by ViMediaManager. Perhaps this increases likelihood that the TVDB site hasn't been working for many days?

MacBook Pro 2015, OS X 11.6, networked Synology NAS DS218j.
(2020-02-17, 23:35)Kodeine Wrote: No TV series metadata found 

. . . When aimed it at my NAS TV folder it failed to find any metadata at all for 125 out of 127 folders/series.   I don't know what I could be doing wrong, or indeed if I am doing anything wrong, as an earlier post above also described some difficulty in getting information, and this was said to be a problem with the TVDB site. 

. . .  As an example, if I choose one folder, called "Wolf Hall" [a well known and quite recent BBC TV series] and click " fetch metadata" it gives me a message that "no TV series were found, try again with fewer keywords  or an alternative title." When I try the manual search page with "search the web" menu item as the only choice, it comes back with "The TV series "Wolf Hall" could not be found." . . .

@Kodeine, I did a manual search for 'Wolf Hall' and it came up no problem.  Maybe, as you suggest, TVDB was down.  If you are still unable to get it, perhaps there is something wrong with your network or installation.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2020-02-25, 03:10)Glorious1 Wrote:
(2020-02-17, 23:35)Kodeine Wrote: No TV series metadata found 

. . . When aimed it at my NAS TV folder it failed to find any metadata at all for 125 out of 127 folders/series.   I don't know what I could be doing wrong, or indeed if I am doing anything wrong, as an earlier post above also described some difficulty in getting information, and this was said to be a problem with the TVDB site. 

. . .  As an example, if I choose one folder, called "Wolf Hall" [a well known and quite recent BBC TV series] and click " fetch metadata" it gives me a message that "no TV series were found, try again with fewer keywords  or an alternative title." When I try the manual search page with "search the web" menu item as the only choice, it comes back with "The TV series "Wolf Hall" could not be found." . . .

@Kodeine, I did a manual search for 'Wolf Hall' and it came up no problem.  Maybe, as you suggest, TVDB was down.  If you are still unable to get it, perhaps there is something wrong with your network or installation.    
OK, so I discovered a couple of things.

Firstly if I searched more than one folder containing a  different TV show at a time it returned "not found" for all of them.  If I searched a single folder for a single show it then comes back with a query list of several alternative titles ; once you choose the appropriate one it will search and find the data. If there are two different folders it does not give you the  alternatives/query menu, it simply says both are "not found"

So Lesson 1: do one show at a time!

Secondly, I had to rename/number the shows before searching.  So a folder containing six shows  marked Season 1 Episode 1 didn't return anything. If I pre- renamed them S01E01 etc then usually it found them.  You probably need to do renumbering/renaming before you search for metadata if it is at all different from the convention SxxExx.  This takes quite a lot of preparation if you have a hundred downloaded shows each of which has  8 to 23 episodes all numbered in random ways!

So Lesson 2 : Learn batch renaming techniques/scripts and rename your files before searching for metadata!

Thirdly, (this is obvious and results from my lack of careful reading first)  it is not only movies that need to be in their own folder. Tv shows need to be in a folder with the title, and in a subfolder titled with the season number.  Single files won't be recognised.  I'm a bit puzzled why there is an automation for placing movies in their own folder but not TV programs. I initially took this to mean it wasn't necessary for TV programs, but it is, even though the app doesn't let you do this automatically.

So Lesson 3:  All Tv series, and individual programmes must go in separate folders before searching!

Once you do these things it works like a charm!  My over optimistic idea that I could load 120 TV series in and leave them to be renamed and renumbered , and metadata searched wasn't quite realisable, as you basically have to do a ton of renumbering and folder reorganisation first, and basically do one show at a time. But it is still a really handy app, and I am slowly working through my series!

I hope this is helpful to others like me just starting to use the app.
(2020-02-25, 15:54)Kodeine Wrote:   
All correct.  It can't figure out the correct name unless it is pretty close to begin with.  If not, you have do them one at a time so you can pick the correct movie or show.  I'm not sure about episode numbering, but all mine were S1E01 or S01E01 to begin with.  TV shows have to be in separate folders, I think.  Seasons don't have to be, but things seem to work better if they are.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
(2020-02-25, 17:33)Glorious1 Wrote:
(2020-02-25, 15:54)Kodeine Wrote:  
All correct.  It can't figure out the correct name unless it is pretty close to begin with.  If not, you have do them one at a time so you can pick the correct movie or show.  

Well this isn't quite the case actually. It can't do it even if the name is exact. You can't get closer to "Wolf Hall" than "Wolf Hall"!

When I tried the "Wolf Hall" Folder it came back with three alternatives: the first was "Wolf Hall" and the other two were programs that had no similarity except the word "Wolf" was somewhere in the title.

So unless the program you search for has literally no other barely similar titles in the database, it will still fail to return any data for a search of more than one series even if your title for both  is exactly as in the database.

EDIT: A search for "Fargo" brought up more than 25 choices, among which were "Gargoyles" and "England's Forgotten Men", and many that were more wide of the mark than this!
(2020-01-21, 17:56)MariusTh86 Wrote: Official release of ViMM v0.7a22!
  • TVDB Searching, Fetching series info and episode info have been changed to support API v3.
  • Matches TV episodes which use the absolute numbering system in their filenames. (Anime support)
  • Changing the rating of a movie or TV show now changes the 'userrating' instead, and is saved across info updates.
  • Added path viewer to the search window.
  • Disabled trailer viewing in metadata editor since it was causing problems.
  • Fixed manual downloading of trailers.
  • Folderized episodes in the downloads folder are once again all moved to the show folder instead of only one of them.
  • Many other fixes and stability issues worked on.
Download the latest release 

Having an issue where it doesnt download the movie posters properly they are all zero byte files and I have to manually edit each file and hit download then I can apply the folder. this only just started recently happening. started with v.19 now v.22 as well. but v.19 worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Not sure what the issue is but its merely an inconvenience. not a deal breaker. been using the program forever and will continue to do so. nothing like it out there. I have tried others but this is still by far the easiest and best.
  • 156(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!19