Can’t stream from pc to laptop with VPN
Hello all!! I have a problem and I was wondering if someone could please help. I recently started using Express VPN and encountered a problem with Kodi that I’m not sure how to fix

They way it’s setup, I have my entire movie and television library on my desktop pc. I have it setup so that I can stream it from my desktop Kodi to my laptop Kodi so that I can watch movies on my laptop without filling up my much smaller hard drive. It’s worked flawlessly for years, and still does when the VPN is off, but when it’s on my laptop won’t connect to, or even recognize the desktop. This issue happens if the VPN is turned on on either the desktop OR the laptop

Not sure what to do to fix. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

P.s. I’m using Windows 10 64x on both the desktop and the laptop
As per our VPN policy (wiki) (please read), this thread is moved to the Offtopic section.
Sorry about that. Still kinda new here, didn’t realize I was posting in the wrong area

Now that it’s been moved to the proper section, does anyone know how to fix this problem? I’d like to be able to stream to my laptop as I’ve always done, but don’t want to disable my VPN and lose security to do it

Also, I read the link you provided to the VPN policy, but I can assure you I’m not using it for any nefarious reasons such as avoiding a “geo lock”. I’m using it for simple security, which we have been encouraged to do at my university. BY my university. I’ve never even heard of VPN’s being considered a bad or illicit thing. I’ve always understood them as being a layer of protection to keep your account info and data from being stolen, and as a good thing, so that’s kind of taking me by surprise a bit
(2020-04-08, 20:22)Myrothe Wrote:  I’ve never even heard of VPN’s being considered a bad or illicit thing.
VPN's are widely used for torrenting pirated material, something which Kodi doesn't condone. Of course there are legitimate uses, but in the main people coming here asking about VPN's are using them for piracy reasons.
(2020-04-08, 20:22)Myrothe Wrote: I’ve never even heard of VPN’s being considered a bad or illicit thing

Perhaps your university should educate itself a bit more on the other facets that a VPN can have.
Security can be one thing, but as already stated above, geolocks and anonymity can be used for various of reasons.
(2020-04-08, 20:39)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-04-08, 20:22)Myrothe Wrote: I’ve never even heard of VPN’s being considered a bad or illicit thing

Perhaps your university should educate itself a bit more on the other facets that a VPN can have.
Security can be one thing, but as already stated above, geolocks and anonymity can be used for various of reasons.

I’m sure it can be used for bad purposes, just like any technology. I’m sure the reason my university (KSU) is pro VPN is because it offers a strong measure of security. In fact they
even provide their own VPN for students, staff and faculty as well as a free subscription to an antivirus

KSU has always been very strong in online protection. In fact as an employee (as well as a student) all departments are required to take an online security course once a year as part of our employment. I don’t think they are in any way uneducated about VPN’s. I imagine they feel that the security it provides far outweighs the possibility that someone might change their region to watch Avengers 4 on Netflix ahead of time, or download Kanye’s new single

But whatever. All I was asking was what I needed to do to be able to stream from my desktop to my laptop while using my VPN, not a philosophical debate on the pros and cons of VPN’s, and thought this was the place to get help

I obviously was mistaken
(2020-04-08, 20:34)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-04-08, 20:22)Myrothe Wrote:  I’ve never even heard of VPN’s being considered a bad or illicit thing.
VPN's are widely used for torrenting pirated material, something which Kodi doesn't condone. Of course there are legitimate uses, but in the main people coming here asking about VPN's are using them for piracy reasons.
I’m not intending to torrent pirated material, change my region to watch Netflix, or asking how to do that

I use a VPN to protect myself, my information, passwords, and my data online

All I’m trying to do is figure out how to configure things so I can stream from my desktop to my laptop without having to turn off my protection to do so
(2020-04-09, 21:00)Myrothe Wrote:
(2020-04-08, 20:34)FXB78 Wrote:
I’m not intending to torrent pirated material, change my region to watch Netflix, or asking how to do that 
Nobody said you were, as I said of course there are legitimate uses. For some reason you seem to have become incredibly offended by the fact your post was simply moved to the off-topic section.
(2020-04-09, 21:22)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-04-09, 21:00)Myrothe Wrote:
(2020-04-08, 20:34)FXB78 Wrote: VPN's are widely used for torrenting pirated material, something which Kodi doesn't condone. Of course there are legitimate uses, but in the main people coming here asking about VPN's are using them for piracy reasons.  
Nobody said you were, as I said of course there are legitimate uses. For some reason you seem to have become incredibly offended by the fact your post was simply moved to the off-topic section.

I was more annoyed by the fact that I came here for help, and received none, and instead got a lecture on how people can use VPN's for illegal activities. I'm not trying to use a vpn for that. I'm using it because I want to protect my information online, and was advised to do so by the very university with whom I am employed 

I get it, VPN's can be used to do shady things, because VPN's mask your online activity. That is also what makes VPN's great at online security. People can commit a ton of illegal activities in the privacy of their own home as well. That doesn't make curtains, or a privacy fence a shady thing to use. A vpn is only a tool for illegal activity if  person chooses to use it as such 

But the point is, I received multiple posts discussing the pros, cons, and theoretical potential uses of VPN's... but not one single bit of help on the actual problem i was asking for help on
(2020-05-29, 04:07)Myrothe Wrote:  I was more annoyed by the fact that I came here for help, and received none,
Sorry, but you won't receive assistance here. If you read the VPN Policy that klojum provided in the second post, you would realise we do not offer any assistance whatsoever with VPN's.

Kodi works perfectly fine without a VPN (in fact it works better without it), so a VPN is seen as a 3rd party modification that is outside the scope of this forum.

I suggest you contact your VPN provider for assistance.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think the point is simply forum policy is not to help with any VPN questions.  Maybe WebDAV would work in your use case in which case you could be helped here (though setting up a WebDAV server in Win 10 is probably not trivial).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can’t stream from pc to laptop with VPN0