Instructions outdated -> how to install the VDR VNSI PVR client addon?
The instructions on https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:VDR_VNSI_Client are outdated since they are mentioning menu entries that don't even exist anymore.
So I have no idea how to install the addon now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!
(2020-04-23, 20:07)villeneuve Wrote: The instructions on https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:VDR_VNSI_Client are outdated since they are mentioning menu entries that don't even exist anymore.

From a newbie, I use LibreElec and I translate from French to Englih (I hope Wink ). I found the VDR client in the addons :
  • go to the configuration menu
  • select the addons/extension icone
  • select the install  from a repository
  • select the record video client
  • select all repository if you have this option
  • select the VDR VNSI Client in the list
 I hope that can help you. After that, the VDR VNSI CLient is accessible in the setup menu, in the setup part for the recorder/TV. I must select the "client's setup" and the option 'specific client's parameters'. With this I get the classic VDR's Menu that I can leave with the "i" for "info" key and the ESCAPE key.
(2020-04-23, 22:44)hp28 Wrote:
(2020-04-23, 20:07)villeneuve Wrote: The instructions on https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:VDR_VNSI_Client are outdated since they are mentioning menu entries that don't even exist anymore.

From a newbie, I use LibreElec and I translate from French to Englih (I hope Wink ). I found the VDR client in the addons :
  • go to the configuration menu
  • select the addons/extension icone
  • select the install  from a repository
  • select the record video client
  • select all repository if you have this option
  • select the VDR VNSI Client in the list
 I hope that can help you. After that, the VDR VNSI CLient is accessible in the setup menu, in the setup part for the recorder/TV. I must select the "client's setup" and the option 'specific client's parameters'. With this I get the classic VDR's Menu that I can leave with the "i" for "info" key and the ESCAPE key. 
I'm confused, I can't understand how to edit my previous message, any help will be appreciated Confused

I have made some pictures of my TV, I hope that could be help, but I see only the "Image" icon that propose to use an URL, my pictures are local to my PC. How to upload from my PC the pictures Huh
Thanks for offering your help, I understood your posting very well. Your directions don't apply universally though but just for LibreELEC since LibreELEC has the needed PVR repository pre-installed. My system though, which is Debian Linux, lacks the repository so that additional steps are needed. I know I could install a repository via a zip-file but I can't find the zip-file for the official Kodi addon repository.
(2020-04-24, 00:20)villeneuve Wrote: Thanks for offering your help, I understood your posting very well. Your directions don't apply universally though but just for LibreELEC since LibreELEC has the needed PVR repository pre-installed. My system though, which is Debian Linux, lacks the repository so that additional steps are needed. I know I could install a repository via a zip-file but I can't find the zip-file for the official Kodi addon repository.

Hello,

Maybe with the traditional way with 'apt get install ...' ?

Quote:$ apt search ^vdr
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libxine2-vdr/stable 1.2.9-1+b2 amd64
  VDR-related plugins for libxine2

svdrpservice-dev/stable 1.0.0-6 all
  VDR svdrpservice plugin development files

vdr/stable 2.4.0-1+b1 amd64
  Video Disk Recorder for DVB cards

vdr-dev/stable 2.4.0-1+b1 amd64
  Video Disk Recorder for DVB cards

vdr-plugin-dvbsddevice/stable 2.2.0-9 amd64
  Plugin that adds support for full featured SD-DVB cards to VDR

vdr-plugin-dvd/stable 0.3.6~b03+cvs20090426.0013-25 amd64
  DVD playback plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-epgsearch/stable 2.2.0+git20170817-2 amd64
  VDR plugin that provides extensive EPG searching capabilities

vdr-plugin-epgsync/stable 1.0.1-4 amd64
  VDR plugin for EPG synchronization between VDR systems

vdr-plugin-examples/stable 2.4.0-1+b1 amd64
  Plugins for vdr to show some possible features

vdr-plugin-femon/stable 2.4.0-1 amd64
  DVB frontend status monitor plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-fritzbox/stable 1.5.3-7.1 amd64
  VDR plugin to access certain functions of an AVM Fritz!Box

vdr-plugin-live/stable 2.3.1-3 amd64
  Web administration plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-mp3/stable 0.10.2-23 amd64
  MP3 playback plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-mplayer/stable 0.10.2-23 amd64
  MPlayer playback plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-osdserver/stable 0.1.3-18 amd64
  VDR plugin to provide other programs access to the OSD

vdr-plugin-osdteletext/stable 0.9.7-2 amd64
  Teletext plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-remote/stable 0.7.0-2 amd64
  VDR Plugin to support the built-in remote control port of DVB-Cards

vdr-plugin-satip/stable 2.4.0-1 amd64
  SAT>IP plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-skinenigmang/stable 0.1.2+git20180128-2.1 amd64
  Skin plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-streamdev-client/stable 0.6.1+git20170911-2 amd64
  VDR Plugin to stream Live-TV to other VDR's - client part

vdr-plugin-streamdev-server/stable 0.6.1+git20170911-2 amd64
  VDR Plugin to stream Live-TV to other VDR's - server part

vdr-plugin-svdrpext/stable 1.0.0-7 all
  Transitional dummy package

vdr-plugin-svdrposd/stable 1.0.0-7 amd64
  VDR plugin that extends the SVDRP command set of VDR

vdr-plugin-svdrpservice/stable 1.0.0-6 amd64
  VDR plugin that provides a SVDRP service for other plugins

vdr-plugin-vcd/stable 0.9-26 amd64
  VDR Plugin for playing (S)VCD's

vdr-plugin-vnsiserver/stable 1:1.6.0-1 amd64
  VDR plugin to provide PVR backend services for Kodi

vdr-plugin-vnsiserver-dbg/stable 1:1.6.0-1 amd64
  VDR plugin to provide PVR backend services for Kodi

vdr-plugin-weather/stable 0.2.1e-68 amd64
  Weather plugin for VDR

vdr-plugin-xine/stable 0.9.4-15 amd64
  allows xine to be a display for vdr, the Video Disk Recorder

vdr-plugin-xineliboutput/stable 2.1.0-1+b1 amd64
  VDR plugin for Xine based sofdevice frontends

vdr-plugin-xineliboutput-dbg/stable 2.1.0-1+b1 amd64
  VDR plugin for Xine based sofdevice frontends

vdradmin-am/stable 3.6.10-4 all
  Web-based administration tool for vdr
Thanks for another reply.
I had already tried it, but it's not available. The vdr-plugin-vnsiserver/stable 1:1.6.0-1 amd64 you found in your list is the server component which goes into VDR.

In the meantime I had a look into my Kodi installation on my laptop which runs KDE neon, which is currently based on Ubuntu 18.04, and Kodi 18.6 and to my surprise despite having multiple repositories installed including the official Kodi addon repo there is still no PVR addon to be found anywhere. How are ordinary people supposed to be able to watch TV via Kodi when even a long time user like myself (using Kodi since 2009 when is was still called XBMC) doesn't know what to do and the documentation is dramatically outdated.

Sorry for the slight rant and thanks again for your help!

*EDIT* I just booted up my old Windows 7 x64 installation which I remembered has Kodi 18.5 installed and it also has the official Kodi addon-repository installed. And surprise, surprise there the PVR addons show up! Why don't they show up my Kodi on KDE neon with the same repo installed?

*EDIT2* I can't believe it. To see if Kodi 18.5 and 18.6 causes the difference between having the PVR addon category I updated my Kodi on Windows from 18.5 to 18.6 - result: PVR addons all gone! What the hell?
Afaik you have to install vnsi addon separately on Linux, on Ubuntu it's part of the ppa and called something like 'pvr-addon-vnsi'
Thanks for you valueable input!
So installing kodi-pvr-vdr-vnsi via apt worked on KDE neon (Ubuntu 18.04). After that the addon ready to be activated in Kodi.
On the MLD Debian-based distribution that package is not available. The statement...
"PVR client add-ons are binary add-ons, but in Ubuntu they are not packaged with Kodi. All other official Kodi versions have these add-ons included with the default install."

on https://kodi.wiki/view/Ubuntu_PVR_add-ons is plain wrong still since judging by that the Kodi for Windows should've have PVR clients onboard.
I also just had a look at Kodi on Android and on that PVR addons are indeed available out of the box.

So question is still open on how to get PVR addons on Windows and Debian and perhaps other Linux distributions.
This thread can be marked as solved. In the German Kodinerds forum I got some hints which lead to the conclusion that the confusion came from that fact that the wiki on https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:VDR_VNSI_Client steers the user towards "Add-ons"->"Install from repository" no matter what, but in case you already got the PVR addons pre-installed by the maintainer of your Kodi built or via your operaring system's package management you'll never see a PVR category in that spot. Instead the PVR addons category will only appear in "Add-ons"->"My add-ons" where the addon you need just needs to be activated.

So I'd say the Wiki needs a serious overhaul of that topic.

Thanks everybody! Greets!
(2020-04-24, 19:07)villeneuve Wrote: This thread can be marked as solved. In the German Kodinerds forum I got some hints which lead to the conclusion that the confusion came from that fact that the wiki on https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:VDR_VNSI_Client steers the user towards "Add-ons"->"Install from repository" no matter what, but in case you already got the PVR addons pre-installed by the maintainer of your Kodi built or via your operaring system's package management you'll never see a PVR category in that spot. Instead the PVR addons category will only appear in "Add-ons"->"My add-ons" where the addon you need just needs to be activated.

So I'd say the Wiki needs a serious overhaul of that topic.

Thanks everybody! Greets!
Thank you for this. It's not an easy thing, a small trap for the new users.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Instructions outdated -> how to install the VDR VNSI PVR client addon?0