• 29(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-02-23, 03:33)Esch30 Wrote: Speaking of HDR10+, I'm running CoreELEC 9.2.0 stable release on my ODROID N2 into a Denon X8500H receiver which feeds my Sony X900F.  I play uncompressed MKV files.  For titles like Bohemian Rhapsody which feature HDR10+, the color is washed out.  I realize my TV does not support HDR10+ and MKV files do not support Dolby Vision.  Would the latest CoreELEC update help with this and play HDR10+ content as traditional HDR?  Or does this update merely pass through HDR10+ content properly to HDR10+ compatible displays?

Too many variables in the HDMI chain to even make an educated guess.
Simply do a .tar backup of your current CE setup and store that CE .tar backup on your PC.
Then do a -ng nightly .tar update and see what happens.

For HDR10+ to work everything needs to be HDR10+ compatible, including AVR's supporting HDR10+ Video passthrough. Which a LOT of ones do not.

(2020-02-23, 03:53)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 03:33)Esch30 Wrote: Speaking of HDR10+, I'm running CoreELEC 9.2.0 stable release on my ODROID N2 into a Denon X8500H receiver which feeds my Sony X900F.  I play uncompressed MKV files.  For titles like Bohemian Rhapsody which feature HDR10+, the color is washed out.  I realize my TV does not support HDR10+ and MKV files do not support Dolby Vision.  Would the latest CoreELEC update help with this and play HDR10+ content as traditional HDR?  Or does this update merely pass through HDR10+ content properly to HDR10+ compatible displays?

Simply do a .tar backup of your current CE setup and store that CE .tar backup on your PC.

For HDR10+ to work everything needs to be HDR10+ compatible, including AVR's supporting HDR10+ Video passthrough. Which a LOT of ones do not. 
Thanks for the advice regarding taking a backup first.

I'm not looking to get HDR10+ working correctly since I know my TV doesn't support it.  The closest evidence I can find so far is someone on the CoreELEC forums stating a nightly build from the end of September allowed HDR10 output from an HDR10+ file.  Looks like I'll be doing some testing soon.
I'm trying to get Kodi to properly play 4k HDR titles on my new Sony A9G. Thus far no matter what I try, my Sony A9G is not receiving HDR from Kodi (works fine on other apps like Netflix).

I've attached logs from my attempts if someone could please point me in the right direction. My understanding is that if the playback device supports HDR, Kodi should pass it through fine. I've tried both directly on my Sony's Android TV interface, as well as on an Amazon FireTV Stick 4k. I've also tried a mix of HEVC encodes and compressed x265 encodes with HDR.

Test directly on Sony (A9G) Android TV 9.0 Pie
https://paste.kodi.tv/itirafabuh.kodi

Test on Amazon FireTV Stick 4k
https://paste.kodi.tv/diqabuqena.kodi

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I should be posting elsewhere please let me know.
New Nvidia Experience update out which has a whole slew of fixes. One of them pertains to Dolby vision and frame rate matching.
(2020-02-25, 00:52)NiVRaM Wrote: I'm trying to get Kodi to properly play 4k HDR titles on my new Sony A9G. Thus far no matter what I try, my Sony A9G is not receiving HDR from Kodi (works fine on other apps like Netflix).

I've attached logs from my attempts if someone could please point me in the right direction. My understanding is that if the playback device supports HDR, Kodi should pass it through fine. I've tried both directly on my Sony's Android TV interface, as well as on an Amazon FireTV Stick 4k. I've also tried a mix of HEVC encodes and compressed x265 encodes with HDR.

Test directly on Sony (A9G) Android TV 9.0 Pie
https://paste.kodi.tv/itirafabuh.kodi

Test on Amazon FireTV Stick 4k
https://paste.kodi.tv/diqabuqena.kodi

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I should be posting elsewhere please let me know.

I'm not familiar with the Sony A9G, but on my LG OLED C9, you have to manually turn on the HDR feature, for every HDMI input. It's off by default. Just a quick thought. 
Also, is Kodi directly plugged in to your TV or are you using an AVR? Is the AVR HDR compatible? Your HDMI cables that Kodi is using... how old are they? Are they High Speed HDMI cables?
The HDR file that you are trying to play in Kodi... is it really an HDR file and what kind? (HDR10, HDR10+, DV, etc.) It could be so many different things...
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
I am moving Odroid N2 from a very convoluted HTPC setup that was capable of playing 4K HDR10 every now and then, wont say effortlessly.
I have high expectations from N2 after reading all the comments on this thread. The one thing I was not able to find in here was if anyone is using skins/interfaces with Kodi? I used to skin the hell out of my Kodi on my HTPC. I have brought a 128GB eMMc module, and was wondering if i can use the Aeon MQ 8 skin/interface? Also, is there any limitations with N2 if I am going to install Kodi add on plugin's? Does everything work just the way it should work on a windows based HTPC?
I received my Odroid N2. I have just completed the setup, and right after that, I fired up a 4K movie in HDR10 format. The movie started playing in HDR10, but after I stopped playing it, the HDR mode won't turn off to standard picture. Now not only the CoreElec UI, but even a standard non-4K movie is saturated, as the picture has not switched HDR off to regular standard mode.
What do i need to do?
Also another question, what resolution do you suggest I should keep in CoreElec? I have a 85" 4K TV and a 4K receiver.
Support for CoreELEC on the N2 should be asked for over on the CoreELEC forums
(it's very likely a TV / AVR setup issue - make sure Kodi Refresh Switching is enabled - Start/Stop - too)

https://discourse.coreelec.org/

Does the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 etc support 4k 10bit HEVC HDR decoding and smooth playback
or do I still need to buy a nvidia/amd gpu?

And what is the cheapest gpu recommended from nvidia/amd that can decode 4k 10bit HEVC HDR?

You should add the recommendation of the cheapest gpu model for nvidia and AMD on the front page..
You want the Nvidia GT 1030. It has better drivers for HDR10 video support than AMD and is cheap and capable.
(2020-04-05, 10:53)Warner306 Wrote: You want the Nvidia GT 1030. It has better drivers for HDR10 video support than AMD and is cheap and capable.

so AMD Ryzen 5 3600 can't natively software decode 4k 10 bit hevc hdr with smooth playback?
Yes it can, but the resulting output can sometimes use the wrong color space (Rec.709) because of the buggy AMD video drivers. Nvidia is more reliable by comparison.
(2020-02-23, 04:41)Esch30 Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 03:53)wrxtasy Wrote:

Thanks for the advice regarding taking a backup first.

I'm not looking to get HDR10+ working correctly since I know my TV doesn't support it.  The closest evidence I can find so far is someone on the CoreELEC forums stating a nightly build from the end of September allowed HDR10 output from an HDR10+ file.  Looks like I'll be doing some testing soon.   

I just want to post a quick update.  I can confirm that after the latest CoreELEC 9.2.2 update on my N2, MKV rips of films that have HDR10+ now play with traditional HDR10 on my Sony TV which does not support HDR10+.  Prior to this, the colors were extremely washed out.  Bohemian Rhapsody is a specific example of a movie that did not display properly before but does now after the 9.2.2 update.
(2020-04-05, 12:55)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 10:53)Warner306 Wrote: You want the Nvidia GT 1030. It has better drivers for HDR10 video support than AMD and is cheap and capable.

so AMD Ryzen 5 3600 can't natively software decode 4k 10 bit hevc hdr with smooth playback? 
The Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics, so you will need a discrete video card like the 1030 recommended. The 3600 also lacks a VPU to do any form of hardware decoding, so any decoding would be done in software. I'm not sure what you mean by "native software decode".
@wrxtasy 

Now that there is a way to preserve Dolby Vision inside the mkv container do you think it is time to update the hardware list accordingly?
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209