Optoma UHD 51A 4K HDR + Full 3D Projector
Thumbs Up 
Just posted my initial impressions over at AVSForum. It's a keeper, and will replace my Epson 5040UB.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Yeh I have the UHD-50 and I love it but its huge!!

Saying that, the picture is great, the sound is fantastic and its dead quiet as well. So reasonably happy with it so far.

Hi hdmkv! So, after few months, what's your impressions of this projector? Is it anything that you regret/ would change? Did you upgraded firmawe? Do you use it to watch sports with little day light? How about colors and 3d? I'm little confused which one to choose between 51A and ALV or Benq ht2550. It should be placed in room where is nearly dark in daytime if courtains down and dark at night, about 3 meters from 100 inch screen. I love 3d and 4k movies, more the first one. How 3d looks in this projector? Better than tv? Sorry for so many questions but would really appreciate if you find time to answer.
Don't use 3D myself, its a dead technology in my opinion. Optima Projector is great, not changed any settings. HDR looks amazing on something like Nature documentaries.
(2018-10-18, 10:11)Cob2 Wrote: Hi hdmkv! So, after few months, what's your impressions of this projector? Is it anything that you regret/ would change? Did you upgraded firmawe? Do you use it to watch sports with little day light? How about colors and 3d? I'm little confused which one to choose between 51A and ALV or Benq ht2550. It should be placed in room where is nearly dark in daytime if courtains down and dark at night, about 3 meters from 100 inch screen. I love 3d and 4k movies, more the first one. How 3d looks in this projector? Better than tv? Sorry for so many questions but would really appreciate if you find time to answer.
Mostly love it; no regrets. Have updated to the latest f/w. Need a mostly light-controlled room for best results (and your setup sounds right for this), and the lack of horizontal lens shift makes installation somewhat harder (initially). Other than these manageable aspects, performance, for a full 3D + 4K PJ, especially at this price point, is nothing short of fantastic. It's better than the BenQ HT2550, but I've read f/w improvements on it have brought PQ close to UHD51A's (than when I tested it, at its launch). But, switching to/from 3D is automatic on Optoma; not sure if you still manually need to on BenQ. 3D on UHD51A is excellent (watching the 'Ant-Man' 3D sequel tonight), and DLP's do better on this than 3LCD overall.
(2018-10-18, 10:21)docwra Wrote: Don't use 3D myself, its a dead technology in my opinion. Optima Projector is great, not changed any settings. HDR looks amazing on something like Nature documentaries.
Not using 3D might explain why you think it's dead. For a dead technology, many 3D enthusiasts (myself included) continue enjoying it immensely Wink ... thanks also to the fact that 3D is still well-supported with PJ's (even though not with new TV's). Recent titles like 'The Avengers: Infinity War' in 3D are far more immersive than anything 4K.
My Family Room Theater
Talking about a title that's better in 3D than 4K, see this.
I'm one of those people who just sees blurred images, 3D is not for me.

4K on the other hand is outstanding on this projector. I wathed planet earth 2 and it was quite an experience. Make sure you get a good pulldown screen though as its not as good on a white wall.
Then I think I found a winner Smile just one more question about 3d. Is it really much better than on TV? I had 3d TV and it was ok but I plan to buy pj mostly because 3d and I hope I'm not gonna be disappointed. How about depth? Is it anything to enjoy?
(2018-10-23, 10:26)docwra Wrote: I'm one of those people who just sees blurred images, 3D is not for me.
Blurred images? Hmm, something's not right. What is your media player and which glasses are you using?
(2018-10-24, 23:25)Cob2 Wrote: Then I think I found a winner Smile just one more question about 3d. Is it really much better than on TV? I had 3d TV and it was ok but I plan to buy pj mostly because 3d and I hope I'm not gonna be disappointed. How about depth? Is it anything to enjoy?
3D is awesome... more immersive than anything you'll get with 4K, even on a top-tier LG OLED (I should know, I had one). Just a shame 3D didn't get promoted well by manufacturers especially (and later studios). "Depth" depends on content... there are 3D titles done well, and others... well, you might as well watch in 2D. See here for recommended titles. Sorry I haven't updated recently, but 'Avengers: Infinity War' is terrific in 3D, and 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' is also solid!
My Family Room Theater
(2018-10-25, 00:59)hdmkv Wrote:
(2018-10-23, 10:26)docwra Wrote: I'm one of those people who just sees blurred images, 3D is not for me.
Blurred images? Hmm, something's not right. What is your media player and which glasses are you using?
(2018-10-24, 23:25)Cob2 Wrote: Then I think I found a winner Smile just one more question about 3d. Is it really much better than on TV? I had 3d TV and it was ok but I plan to buy pj mostly because 3d and I hope I'm not gonna be disappointed. How about depth? Is it anything to enjoy?
3D is awesome... more immersive than anything you'll get with 4K, even on a top-tier LG OLED (I should know, I had one). Just a shame 3D didn't get promoted well by manufacturers especially (and later studios). "Depth" depends on content... there are 3D titles done well, and others... well, you might as well watch in 2D. See here for recommended titles. Sorry I haven't updated recently, but 'Avengers: Infinity War' is terrific in 3D, and 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' is also solid!

That is very good to hear. Then I will need to wait for payment and maybe some break deals on black Friday and pull the trigger Smile
Thanks for your time!
It was $1,499 at one point on Amazon earlier this summer.
hello, I have the same projector... love it. Streaming 4K MKV's through kodi looks great. Im ready to try streaming 3D mkv's… little confused how to make kodi trigger the projector its a 3d formatted video file... Also with active shutter glasses, will this work with both Half OU and Half SBS? Which format is better? Any help or tips will be much appreciated!

4K on the other hand is outstanding on this projector. I wathed planet earth 2 and it was quite an experience. Make sure you get a good pulldown screen though as its not as good on a white wall.
im guessing somethings been wrong with your 3d setup in the past as ive never heard anyone else complain about blurred 3d.  only issue people ever moaoan about is headaches.  Still i love 3d when done right.  unfortunatly even cinemas tend to penny pinch and save money by lowering their bulb brightness.  a imax 3d experience is great,  I also loved it on a oled tv 55inch when 4 feet away.  i think 3d is alive and well in cinemas and on projectors casue they offer big enough screens for 3d to be effective and im willing to bet well see it back on tvs when the mass markewt aproaches 75 to 100 inch sizes in common.  3d is the main reason i bought a projector instead of a tv and i will probably watch 3 to 5 3d movies a month.
(2018-05-25, 15:24)hdmkv Wrote: Just posted my initial impressions over at AVSForum. It's a keeper, and will replace my Epson 5040UB.

Hi, could I check with you if you are running Kodi on Windows with a discrete GPU like Nvidia?
If yes, have you tried going to the GPU control panel?
Are you able to go into the 10bit output Color depth?
Hi @Waterbottle23, try AVS Forum. I've switched to BenQ HT3050 and don't have the Optoma anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optoma UHD 51A 4K HDR + Full 3D Projector0