• 38(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
Does anyone know anything about a board revision to the N2 - as referred to here? https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/odroid-...g/10992/11 

Looks as if the N2 original design may had HDMI ESD issues - more than most boxes?  (Coupled with HardKernel's terrible standard warranty/RMA system this is probably worth discussing.  Have Hardkernel officially responded to HDMI failures?  

(It took them a long time to sort the C2's HDMI drop-outs with AVRs ISTR - though that was a clock/PLL issue ISTR that could be fixed in firmware/drivers. They refused to acknowledge it as an issue for a long time though ISTR)
(2020-05-03, 11:38)looun Wrote: someone have test new CoreELEC 9.2.2 with  HDR10+ support on ISO/BDMV/mkv? ti's work well? 
thanks.

Tested HDR10+ .mkv’s

- Dark Phoenix
- Hobbs and Shaw
- Bohemian Rhapsody.

All playback fine with HDR10+ direct to my Panasonic OLED.

Getting HDR10+ video passthru via my 3 year oldish Yamaha AVR however is a different story.
I have to get on to Yamaha about that for a FW update.

Once you start to get into high end Premium TV’s like my 2019 Panasonic GZ OLED, their Dynamic HDR picture processing of regular static metadata HDR material produces excellent Picture results as well.

(2020-05-04, 08:25)wrxtasy Wrote: Once you start to get into high end Premium TV’s like my 2019 Panasonic GZ OLED, their Dynamic HDR picture processing of regular static metadata HDR material produces excellent Picture results as well. 

Some of this kind of processing, along with Dolby IQ, is kind of making a mockery of the whole PQ HDR concept isn't it? The whole, flawed, point of HDR10 and DV was to deliver identical images to those seen on the mastering display - down to totally matching the light output of each pixel. This is ridiculous if your viewing conditions aren't the same as those in the mastering suite (things like overall room light level, bias lighting - and the colour temperature of bias lighting - behind the display etc. can make a massive difference etc. Ambilight - don't get me started...)

I guess some displays may effectively generate their own Max/Average light level data for each frame by analysis, rather than being told via metadata, to improve tone mapping, but a lot of this processing is kind of an admission that PQ doesn't really work in a consumer scenario.
(2020-05-04, 10:35)noggin Wrote:
(2020-05-04, 08:25)wrxtasy Wrote: Once you start to get into high end Premium TV’s like my 2019 Panasonic GZ OLED, their Dynamic HDR picture processing of regular static metadata HDR material produces excellent Picture results as well. 

Some of this kind of processing, along with Dolby IQ, is kind of making a mockery of the whole PQ HDR concept isn't it?

In reality this new Dolby IQ mode is mostly just marketing. Some existing DV OLED’s, like my 2019 Panasonic already have a HDR Auto Brightness Settings to adjust for Ambient Light conditions which works with DV.

Quote:I guess some displays may effectively generate their own Max/Average light level data for each frame by analysis, rather than being told via metadata, to improve tone mapping.

Yes some TV’s with class leading Picture Processors do their own image analysis to optimise Tone Mapping for the unique display panel they use.

As an example my ATV 4K that does not passthru MaxCLL/FALL Metadata displays HDR10 content, looking visually exactly the same as HDR10 from an ODROID N2 when viewed on my Panasonic OLED.
(Tested with Spears & Munsil 10,000 nits clip)

However LG C9, with less sophisticated Picture Processing definitely does need MaxCLL/FALL metadata.

Quote:..but a lot of this processing is kind of an admission that PQ doesn't really work in a consumer scenario.

I think it’s all about giving consumers options, but setting TV defaults to something reasonable for the market you are actually pitching the TV set into. Not all home viewing environments are the same either which plays a big part.

(2020-05-04, 08:25)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-03, 11:38)looun Wrote: someone have test new CoreELEC 9.2.2 with  HDR10+ support on ISO/BDMV/mkv? ti's work well? 
thanks.

Tested HDR10+ .mkv’s

- Dark Phoenix
- Hobbs and Shaw
- Bohemian Rhapsody.

All playback fine with HDR10+ direct to my Panasonic OLED.   

compared with oled panasonic internal app that support refresh rate switch?
(2020-05-04, 11:25)wrxtasy Wrote: As an example my ATV 4K that does not passthru MaxCLL/FALL Metadata displays HDR10 content, l
that's was fixed? or not?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-05-04, 11:25)wrxtasy Wrote: I think it’s all about giving consumers options, but setting TV defaults to something reasonable for the market you are actually pitching the TV set into. Not all home viewing environments are the same either which plays a big part. 

Exactly - which is why all of this is an admission that PQ makes little sense outside of cinemas/movie theatres. Every development seems to be about removing the hard pixel value -> absolute light level mapping that PQ dictates.  It's almost as if they are having to get TVs (and now new versions of their standard) to mitigate the false premise that the standard started with.

HLG on the other hand has no direct mapping between pixel value and light level (which also means you don't have to tone map to cope with video brighter than the display can handle, nor do you need mastering metadata), and has support for ambient viewing light level compensation (aka 'surround' (*)) built in to the standard. (I've not heard many complaints about Blue Planet II and Planet Earth II HDR - and they were both mastered in HLG, with a conversion to HDR10 for UHD Blu-ray release...)

(*) https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/...WHP309.pdf (You'll see the HLG standard allows for small changes in the system gamma to compensate for viewing conditions that are brighter than the mastering conditions. Mastering suites have carefully set illumination levels behind the mastering monitor to ensure consistent grading)
(2020-04-17, 04:08)stoli Wrote: Okay, I'm going batty over this one.  I've had my N2 for a bit now and love it. Recently I started upgrading my 1080 movies to 4k Atmos/TrueHD movies and they all fail with a hang or quit back to home screen at one point or another, usually within the first 10-30 minutes of playing. They will also hang on chapter skips/big skips.

|...]

I've tried different cache settings in Advancedsettings, default settings, just about any setting I can think of.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
I had the same problem bugging me until I formated the USB3-HDD from NTFS to EXT4. Problem solved. Smile
Thumbs Up 
thanks.

Works really well: MKV. Smile
Do the USB ports have enough power for a USB powered hard drive? Or would I need an external power supply.
(2020-05-06, 02:12)movies8414 Wrote: Do the USB ports have enough power for a USB powered hard drive? Or would I need an external power supply.

Depends on the drive, some can be powered by USB and some can't.

You need to check before buying.

I would also go for a USB 3 drive for speed and future proofing, again make sure it is compatible with USB 2 if that's what you have.
(2020-05-05, 18:12)NRG-R9T Wrote:
thanks.

Yes, confirmed with HDFury Vertex 2. N2 outputs HDR10+ correctly.
(2020-05-07, 05:59)mombasa123 Wrote:
(2020-05-05, 18:12)NRG-R9T Wrote:
thanks.

Yes, confirmed with HDFury Vertex 2. N2 outputs HDR10+ correctly. 
thanks!
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-05-06, 02:12)movies8414 Wrote: Do the USB ports have enough power for a USB powered hard drive? Or would I need an external power supply.

2.5" at USB3 will run USB-powered, 3.5" needs a power supply.
Is the N2 reliable?
their 4 weeks warranty is one of the worst warranties I have ever seen...
and makes it seem they don't think their product has good quality control.

I can buy locally which may offer 1 year warranty
but the price is just for the board alone..
and cannot get the 4GB CoreELEC Edition which is good value..

If I buy the power supply, 16GB emmc locally it is quite expensive and adds up..
the upside is..it would be cheaper to send back locally for warranty instead of sending it overseas..

Also is there any new revision of the N2 or a different competitor that is cheaper?

Is Kodi performance and playback same on Android OS as it is on CoreELEC of kodi?
or how much slower etc..

=======

anyone who bought the eMMC 
can you do a video comparing it with SD card for kodi

just want to see how long it takes to do things like updates, startup times and anything else etc..
if you can do some sort of disk benchmark would also be good.
(2020-05-16, 13:01)madmax2 Wrote: Is the N2 reliable?
there 4 weeks warranty is one of the worst warranties I have ever seen...
and makes it seem they don't think their product has good quality control.
-----
anyone who bought the eMMC 
can you do a video comparing it with SD card for kodi

just want to see how long it takes to do things like updates, startup times and anything else etc..
if you can do some sort of disk benchmark would also be good.

Mine's basically been on since I got it back in September, and it's been running CoreELEC. I started off with an SD card but when the card went bad I went with the eMMC. I don't have benchmarks or anything but it's a noticeably faster startup, loading, and doing anything that causes writes or reads from the disk. I'd definitely recommend going the eMMC route. 

My only issue with the N2 has been the remote, at least with the N2 setup with my Harmony. You'd push a button and it would take longer than a second to respond to the remote. I also put a Flirc on it and that was slow, too (it's been "slow" on everything so I've kind of regretted getting it). I had to pair my Logitech to it as a "Logitech Media Player" and use a USB Bluetooth adapter.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4