Req Don't expose media stubs and ISOs to UPnP / DLNA clients
Media stubs are visible on UPnP / DLNA clients, but are obviously unplayable.

I have hundreds of stubs in my library, which makes perfect sense for the main HTPC with an optical drive and which prompts the user to insert the disc and where said disc is stored. It makes a lot less sense on the other TVs that are accessing Kodi's library over UPnP / DLNA where attempts to play them will just cause an error message that the file can't be played.

I can of course create custom nodes or playlists that filter out the stubs as a workaround, but it doesn't pass the wife-acceptance-test that the library would need to only be accessed via specific nodes and/or playlists rather than the more prominently featured default ones, and only on those TVs but not the HTPC one.

Not sure whether to post this as a bug or feature request, so I will tentatively post it here first. I reported this back in 2013, and my original bug ticket has remained open since that time. Since trac has been abandoned, and so many years have passed, I figured it wasn't unreasonable to bring this up again but I suppose views might have changed whether or not it's considered a bug or just a feature request.

Update:
ISOs and full DVD/BD folder rips are also unplayable over UPnP.

I suppose an alternative solution to internally filtering out unplayable media would be to have a separate set of library nodes for UPnP, that way we would have even more flexibility and control over what is and isn't exposed.
Stubs are usually correctly named files with a different, smaller or even no content.
How is an application like Kodi supposed to see the difference between them and the real thing?
(2020-05-15, 09:10)Klojum Wrote: Stubs are usually correctly named files with a different, smaller or even no content.
How is an application like Kodi supposed to see the difference between them and the real thing?

I don't know, the same way it knows that it should display a dialogbox rather than actually play the stub?

Update: Just realized that sounded a bit snarky, that wasn't my intent. It's a genuine question, I haven't looked at the code.
(2020-05-15, 12:02)sialivi Wrote: Just realized that sounded a bit snarky, that wasn't my intent

It's all good. No worries.
ISOs and full DVD/BD folder rips are also unplayable over UPnP.

I suppose an alternative solution to internally filtering out unplayable media would be to have a separate set of library nodes for UPnP, that way we would have even more flexibility and control over what is and isn't exposed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Don't expose media stubs and ISOs to UPnP / DLNA clients0