• 31(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
Hello Shield"19 owners,

I want to buy the new Shield Tv Pro to connect with my Oled C9 & soundbar HW-Q80r but can't find it for sale anywere in Portugal and all Europe. Could someone please help me out?
(2020-05-10, 14:12)Bonz Wrote: Hello Shield"19 owners,

I want to buy the new Shield Tv Pro to connect with my Oled C9 & soundbar HW-Q80r but can't find it for sale anywere in Portugal and all Europe. Could someone please help me out?

All the usual UK places I looked have it as out of stock (or not listed at all)
I have make a Log now with my Kodi 19 Last Build problem.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354295
Is anyone able to use the AI upscaling on 480p content in Kodi?  It works fine in Youtube or other apps, but none of my DVD rips in Kodi will use the AI upscaler, it says content not supported.  I confirmed in MediaInfo these are Progressive and not Interlaced.

And on that last note, is there any way to get it to work with interlaced content?  I'm assuming I'd have to transcode everything?  I have my DVD rips of 80's GI Joe and Transformers cartoons that I would love to see upscaled (I tried it on Hasbro's live stream of GI Joe going on right now and it looked great), but the DVD's are all 480i.
(2020-05-21, 07:57)olevelo Wrote: Is anyone able to use the AI upscaling on 480p content in Kodi?  It works fine in Youtube or other apps, but none of my DVD rips in Kodi will use the AI upscaler, it says content not supported.  I confirmed in MediaInfo these are Progressive and not Interlaced.

And on that last note, is there any way to get it to work with interlaced content?  I'm assuming I'd have to transcode everything?  I have my DVD rips of 80's GI Joe and Transformers cartoons that I would love to see upscaled (I tried it on Hasbro's live stream of GI Joe going on right now and it looked great), but the DVD's are all 480i.

The AI upscaler only works on 24-30fps content.  All interlaced SD content on DVB/ATSC/DVD will deinterlace as standard to 50 or 59.94fps (even if the source material in the interlaced video is natively 23.9676/25/29.97 progressive) As the deinterlacing and AI upscaling are both within the nVidia Shield / Android TV domain rather than Kodi I'm not sure this can be worked around without a re-encode to a native progressive encode (deinterlacing as required)?  

Even if DVDs are flagged as having progressive frames within the MPEG 2 video - I think they are often still treated as interlaced MPEG2 video - though I may be wrong.  

**EDIT UPDATE - The only way round I can think is to decode 23.976, 25 and 29.97 native progressive content to 23.976, 25 and 29.97p and re-encode to h.264. That will mean they get played at a frame rate that the nVidia Shield will AI upscale **
(2020-05-21, 11:26)noggin Wrote:
(2020-05-21, 07:57)olevelo Wrote: Is anyone able to use the AI upscaling on 480p content in Kodi?  It works fine in Youtube or other apps, but none of my DVD rips in Kodi will use the AI upscaler, it says content not supported.  I confirmed in MediaInfo these are Progressive and not Interlaced.

The AI upscaler only works on 24-30fps content.  All interlaced SD content on DVB/ATSC/DVD will deinterlace as standard to 50 or 59.94fps (even if the source material in the interlaced video is natively 23.9676/25/29.97 progressive) As the deinterlacing and AI upscaling are both within the nVidia Shield / Android TV domain rather than Kodi I'm not sure this can be worked around without a re-encode to a native progressive encode (deinterlacing as required)?  

Even if DVDs are flagged as having progressive frames within the MPEG 2 video - I think they are often still treated as interlaced MPEG2 video - though I may be wrong.  The on

I figured there's probably no workaround for the interlaced stuff. Unless there was something in Kodi that could convert in real time during playback. That still doesn't explain why the progressive video doesn't work. Your response to that got cut off.
(2020-05-21, 17:10)olevelo Wrote: That still doesn't explain why the progressive video doesn't work. Your response to that got cut off. 

I've updated my post. I suspect the DVD stuff is always deinterlaced to 50p or 59.94p - whereas if you do an upstream deinterlace you can get the frame rate back to the native progressive frame rate which will be upscaled. Obviously you don't want to deinterlace native interlaced content to anything below 50/59.94Hz
Hmm, I guess I'm not smart enough on DVD standards. Not sure why progressive video would get treated as interlaced, when the whole point of progressive is to be...progressive!
(2020-05-22, 02:20)olevelo Wrote: Hmm, I guess I'm not smart enough on DVD standards. Not sure why progressive video would get treated as interlaced, when the whole point of progressive is to be...progressive!

DVD is a slightly odd case.  AIUI the DVD system is primarily based around interlaced video - but there is scope within the MPEG2 video encoding standard to encode interlaced video that contains progressive sources (i.e. there is no motion between two fields within a frame) as progressive frames, and for 3:2 video (i.e. 23.976p content carried as 59.94i) there is the scope to carry this with a flag to signal which field should be repeated, rather than encoding interlaced video frames with fields from two different film frames (which would have to be encoded interlaced).  The underlying system is still based around interlaced video though (and for players to output in either interlaced or progressive 50Hz or 59.94Hz)

The point of progressive in DVD terms was more about compression quality/efficiency (it's more efficient to code interlaced sources carrying native progressive content as progressive rather than interlaced) rather than to be fully progressive standard. 

Blu-ray can carry 23.976fps content as native 1080p23.976p.  'NTSC' DVD always carries it as an interlaced i29.97 interlaced signal - though the compression scheme itself allows progressive encoding modes to be used.  It may seem like a minor difference - but it's not (as the video compression within a DVD MPEG2 stream can switch between native interlaced, native p29.97 and native p23.976 with pulldown flags at any point I believe - just as would be needed to encode a show with p23.976 sourced inserts and i29.7 studio sequences - and the only way to cope with this is to deinterlace to p59.94 not p29.97).
(2020-05-10, 14:12)Bonz Wrote: Hello Shield"19 owners,

It is on sale today in Italy, Germany, UK, France at 219,00 euro.
OS is 64 bits on Shield TV Wink
(2020-05-23, 15:04)Ogreen Wrote: OS is 64 bits on Shield TV Wink

Isn't there a difference between the 2019 Shield TV and the 2019 Shield TV Pro in that regard? Or am I misremembering?  ISTR that the 2019 Shield TV (i.e. the tube) can only run 32 bit apps, whereas the Shield TV Pro (which is still the familiar wedge shape) can run 64 bit apps?
(2020-05-24, 01:16)noggin Wrote:

Isn't there a difference between the 2019 Shield TV and the 2019 Shield TV Pro in that regard? Or am I misremembering?  ISTR that the 2019 Shield TV (i.e. the tube) can only run 32 bit apps, whereas the Shield TV Pro (which is still the familiar wedge shape) can run 64 bit apps?

This is correct. Two big ones are Plex server and dolphin emulator can't run on the tube.
But since this is a topic about the Pro version, he is correct [emoji6]
LG 77G1 • Onkyo TX-RZ70 • Q Acoustics F:2050i C:2000Ci R:2020i A:QI65C • 2x BK Elec XXLS400-DF
Vero V (OSMC) • Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) • Sony UBP-X800M2 • Sony PlayStation 5
(2020-05-24, 09:38)Theetjuh Wrote:
But since this is a topic about the Pro version, he is correct [emoji6] 
And since he didn't specify the model I think it's useful to clarify for those who might read that post and think all Shield TV's are 64-bit generically. [emoji6]
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1