• 43(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-05-28, 11:07)simrose Wrote: So should I got for 7.1 option?

Yes go with 7.1 as noggin has suggested and allow passthrough  on all if your avr handles all.
Hi
i have a vero 4k, and i like the remote. Is it compatible with the odroid n2 / coreelec ?
thanks
(2020-05-28, 18:02)nawox Wrote: Hi
i have a vero 4k, and i like the remote. Is it compatible with the odroid n2 / coreelec ?
thanks

Yes
(2020-05-28, 14:18)ribis1 Wrote: Anybody found a good way to mount this to their tv? I see they sell a VESA mount, but I guess it doesnt work when the tv is mounted to the wall...

I just used 3M double sided Velcro stuff. Because of the heatsink setup you have to attach it to the top of the case, which wasn't my first choice but it worked.
I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on the N2.
Can someone point me in the right direction how to setup dual boot with android/CoreElec? When I order it, is there way to get larger storage? 32 GB for android and CoreElec? Or is it limited to 8 or 16?
(2020-05-29, 04:09)ozkhan1 Wrote: I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on the N2.
Can someone point me in the right direction how to setup dual boot with android/CoreElec?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

And I suggest you do a Petitboot update before doing anything else.
A Mini RF USB dongle remote really needs to be used like the Wechip G20S to select different OS during Petitboot.

Devices like the Ugoos X2 / X3 / AM6 have a better Dual Boot setup IMHO with CE running from a Class 10 U1 microSDHC.
Like all AMLogic Android devices you simply reboot Android or CoreELEC (via it's Power Menu option) to flip flip easily between OS versions. It's not as cumbersome vs the N2 Dual (Petitboot) Boot setup.

Ugoos have much better Android OS support as well. Especially for Kodi and Gamepad user configuration.

Quote:When I order it, is there way to get larger storage? 32 GB for android and CoreElec? Or is it limited to 8 or 16?

Android OS in particular - on the N2 must be run from fast eMMC or USB3 in my opinion. Otherwise its Snail slow to bootup and use from microSDHC.
16GB eMMC or greater is faster vs 8GB. Just get a compatible N2 eMMC and extra hardware to flash it with.

(2020-05-29, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 04:09)ozkhan1 Wrote: I think I’m ready to pull the trigger on the N2.
Can someone point me in the right direction how to setup dual boot with android/CoreElec?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

A Mini RF USB dongle remote really needs to be used like the Wechip G20S to select different OS during Petitboot.

Devices like the Ugoos X2 / X3 / AM6 have a better Dual Boot setup IMHO with CE running from a Class 10 U1 microSDHC.
Like all AMLogic Android devices you simply reboot Android or CoreELEC (via it's Power Menu option) to flip flip easily between OS versions. It's not as cumbersome vs the N2 Dual (Petitboot) Boot setup.

Ugoos have much better Android OS support as well. Especially for Kodi and Gamepad user configuration.
Quote:When I order it, is there way to get larger storage? 32 GB for android and CoreElec? Or is it limited to 8 or 16?

Android OS in particular - on the N2 must be run from fast eMMC or USB3 in my opinion. Otherwise its Snail slow to bootup and use from microSDHC.
16GB eMMC or greater is faster vs 8GB. Just get a compatible N2 eMMC and extra hardware to flash it with.

thx, @wrxtasy

is it possible to partition one emmc module so it can be shared for the coreelec and android images?
I am assuming the most common setup for dual boot is android on emmc and coreelec on sdhc or usb.. is that correct? are there any performance hits due to sdhc?
How long does the bootup take usually between the two OS? 10-15 seconds or longer? i am ssuming you can do all of it from the remote and you dont necessarily need a keyboard plugged in.

thanks again for your help as always.
(2020-05-29, 06:13)ozkhan1 Wrote: thx, @wrxtasy

is it possible to partition one emmc module so it can be shared for the coreelec and android images?

Actually now you mention it CoreELEC has a...
Code:
ceemmc
commandline Tool that you can use on some Android OS devices to Dual Boot from Internal eMMC storage. Never thought to use it on the ODROID N2 when it's running an Android OS from eMMC. Might try it out tonight.

Quote:I am assuming the most common setup for dual boot is android on emmc and coreelec on sdhc or usb.. is that correct? are there any performance hits due to sdhc?
You HAVE to run Android from eMMC (USB3 might work) in my experience - it's too slow otherwise if using a microSDHC.

Quote:How long does the bootup take usually between the two OS? 10-15 seconds or longer? i am assuming you can do all of it from the remote and you dont necessarily need a keyboard plugged in.
I have not used Petitboot in a while, it just reboots into that Text screen and you select your OS using the remote.
Boot speed is dependant of which type of storage you are using to run the OS.

(2020-05-29, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

NOTE: Just did an update to Petitboot and I cannot for the life of me get Petitboot to recognise the microSDHC card that has a working CE image on it.

EDIT: Got it working - for reference Petitboot spiboot-2020005.img must be used. See HardKernel forums.
Also - ceemmc - does NOT work with the CoreELEC N2 and eMMC.

I still cannot recommend Dual Boot on the N2 - there simply is too much stuffing around vs regular AMLogic Android devices, and there are incompatibilities and gotchas - and I'm still having issues even with Petitboot working.

(2020-05-29, 11:48)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

NOTE: Just did an update to Petitboot and I cannot for the life of me get Petitboot to recognise the microSDHC card that has a working CE image on it.

EDIT: Got it working - for reference Petitboot spiboot-2020005.img must be used. See HardKernel forums.

I still cannot recommend Dual Boot on the N2 - there simply is too much stuffing around vs regular AMLogic Android devices, and there are incompatibilities and gotchas - and I'm still having issues even with Petitboot working.

Ok... well that’s a no go for me then. Will stick with Apple TV. Thanks for the 411!
(2020-05-29, 11:48)wrxtasy Wrote: EDIT: Got it working - for reference Petitboot spiboot-2020005.img must be used. See HardKernel forums.

Yes, at the moment there are some (big?) problems with Petitboot, ever since HK made changes in boot behavior and introduced "env.ini" configuration file . All latest 64 bit Android version with black HK logo work with Petitboot OK for some, and don't work for others. The developer is obviously working on something else, and has no time to get it working for all.

My problem that is not solved: I have latest 64 bit Android version installed on Sandisk uSD card, which works perfectly if N2 boots regularly from only uSD card inserted. If I flip the SPI switch to the left (SPI) position to use Petitboot Android gets stuck at black HK logo. The developer does not know where the problem is, because for him all works OK, and I cannot give him any relevant logs (waiting for ages for my ordered UART Converter)
(2020-05-29, 17:24)Sholander Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 11:48)wrxtasy Wrote: EDIT: Got it working - for reference Petitboot spiboot-2020005.img must be used. See HardKernel forums.

Yes, at the moment there are some (big?) problems with Petitboot, ever since HK made changes in boot behavior and introduced "env.ini" configuration file . All latest 64 bit Android version with black HK logo work with Petitboot OK for some, and don't work for others. The developer is obviously working on something else, and has no time to get it working for all.

My problem that is not solved: I have latest 64 bit Android version installed on Sandisk uSD card, which works perfectly if N2 boots regularly from only uSD card inserted. If I flip the SPI switch to the left (SPI) position to use Petitboot Android gets stuck at black HK logo. The developer does not know where the problem is, because for him all works OK, and I cannot give him any relevant logs (waiting for ages for my ordered UART Converter)
I was told android on microSD is not a good idea.

But anyways, regardless of all that, N2 I am sure is great for a stand-alone CoreElec or standalone Android setup. I was hoping it could replace my Apple TV which is used heavily for moonlight and mr Mc.
(2020-05-29, 17:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: I was told android on microSD is not a good idea.

But anyways, regardless of all that, N2 I am sure is great for a stand-alone CoreElec or standalone Android setup. I was hoping it could replace my Apple TV which is used heavily for moonlight and mr Mc.

For me CoreElec/Kodi is on 98-99% of the time. I installed 64bit Android Pie (tablet version) and 64bit Android-TV version just for several games my kids like to play on big screen, so having them on two uSD cards does not bother me, as long they do what I need. Apart from those games, nothing else on Android or Android-TV is worth bothering with, for me of course.

For anyone that puts Android before anything else, installing it to eMMC is absolutely the best option. To bad it cannot be installed to USB as CoreElec can. Don't really know why is that, because it would run faster than it does from uSD card...
(2020-05-29, 11:48)wrxtasy Wrote:
NOTE:Just did an update to Petitboot and I cannot for the life of me get Petitboot to recognise the microSDHC card that has a working CE image on it.

I agree, dual boot has been nothing but trouble since I got it, I have really found that every OS besides CE has given me trouble, tried many versions of Android and recently Ubuntu. 

For CE it is great. Looking forward to trying out a Ugoos box, but really wish they officially supported AndroidTV, can't really see the desire to use a tablet OS on a TV.
(2020-05-29, 22:11)Sholander Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 17:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: I was told android on microSD is not a good idea.

For me CoreElec/Kodi is on 98-99% of the time. I installed 64bit Android Pie (tablet version) and 64bit Android-TV version just for several games my kids like to play on big screen, so having them on two uSD cards does not bother me, as long they do what I need. Apart from those games, nothing else on Android or Android-TV is worth bothering with, for me of course.

For anyone that puts Android before anything else, installing it to eMMC is absolutely the best option. To bad it cannot be installed to USB as CoreElec can. Don't really know why is that, because it would run faster than it does from uSD card...

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I need moonlight or steam and some emulators (Android) for kids as well as myself for once in a while gaming. But mainly CoreElec. Which is why I don’t want to put CE on microSD. I would much rather have it on Emmc and if somehow we could put them both on it using some system of partitioning, would have been perfect. But it looks like it’s a pain at the moment. And I don’t want to get an nvidia shield or fire cube + N2 if Apple TV in one is doing the job, albeit not very well.
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4