Amber or alternative?
Hi all

Been using amber skin on a pi for years and been great. Just got a new Sony tv with android and put kodi on this. I tried my usual amber setup but it’s not working. For the films I have fanart as the navigation option but the background art not coming though for the films. It works fine on other skins. So figured it may be worthy asking for alternative skins.

My requirements are very basic. I created two smart playlists as they come from multiple nas sources. One for adults, one for kids. I have also another source of home movies all from my Synology nas.

All I want my skin to do is look nice and tidy but give me option to change the options on the home navigation to point to these smart playlists. So when you open kodi you have
Films
Kids films
Home movies
Settings

I can do this with amber and had this working fine but on Android tv fanart isn’t working for this skin. Works for others!

Any suggestions on skins or other ways to do this would be appreciated
(2020-05-31, 00:43)Ngac Wrote: Hi all

Been using amber skin on a pi for years and been great. Just got a new Sony tv with android and put kodi on this. I tried my usual amber setup but it’s not working. For the films I have fanart as the navigation option but the background art not coming though for the films. It works fine on other skins. So figured it may be worthy asking for alternative skins.

My requirements are very basic. I created two smart playlists as they come from multiple nas sources. One for adults, one for kids. I have also another source of home movies all from my Synology nas.

All I want my skin to do is look nice and tidy but give me option to change the options on the home navigation to point to these smart playlists. So when you open kodi you have
Films
Kids films
Home movies
Settings

I can do this with amber and had this working fine but on Android tv fanart isn’t working for this skin. Works for others!

@Ngac , hello, I am the maintainer for Amber at this time.  What version of Kodi and what version of Amber did you use on your Android TV? Of course you can do what you mention with Amber, and fanart works very well with Amber and smart playlists, so there must be something missing in the way you have configured Amber. 

If I understand you correctly, you want your smart playlists as home menu items, and you want the playlist fanarts as background for the menu items.  Did I interpret your requirement correctly? If this is the case, my recommendation is that you install the Amber repo so that you can get the latest version of Amber (https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/repo...-1.0.1.zip), and configure the smart playlist menu items like in the following screenshots.  What I am doing in the screenshots is adding a menu item for my smart playlist "4K" of 4K movies, and setting the background to the fanarts of the smart playlist:

1. Go to Settings, Skin Settings, Home Layout and Customize Home Menu and Shelves:

2. Add a new menu item (in this example it will show up after "Movies"):

3. Click on Choose Item for Menu:

4.  Go to Video Library, Playlists, and select your playlist.  In my case, I chose the 4K playlist:

5. Then go to Select Background, and choose the 4K playlist as background:

6. The menu will look like this:

7. Go back to the main menu, wait for script.skinshortcuts to rebuild the menu, and the end result will be something like this:

As you can see, Amber is showing a fanart from the playlist as a background for the menu item.  You can also set how many fanarts you would like to use for the background, and also how many seconds Amber should wait before changing the fanart being shown.

I hope this is helpful to you.  I am available to answer any questions regarding Amber.  Please post them in the Amber thread, or PM me.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
(2020-05-31, 01:41)bsoriano Wrote:

Films
Kids films
Home movies
Settings

@Ngac , hello, I am the maintainer for Amber at this time.  What version of Kodi and what version of Amber did you use on your Android TV? Of course you can do what you mention with Amber, and fanart works very well with Amber and smart playlists, so there must be something missing in the way you have configured Amber. 

If I understand you correctly, you want your smart playlists as home menu items, and you want the playlist fanarts as background for the menu items.  Did I interpret your requirement correctly? If this is the case, my recommendation is that you install the Amber repo so that you can get the latest version of Amber (https://github.com/bartolomesoriano/repo...-1.0.1.zip), and configure the smart playlist menu items like in the following screenshots.  What I am doing in the screenshots is adding a menu item for my smart playlist "4K" of 4K movies, and setting the background to the fanarts of the smart playlist:

1. Go to Settings, Skin Settings, Home Layout and Customize Home Menu and Shelves:

4.  Go to Video Library, Playlists, and select your playlist.  In my case, I chose the 4K playlist:

7. Go back to the main menu, wait for script.skinshortcuts to rebuild the menu, and the end result will be something like this:

As you can see, Amber is showing a fanart from the playlist as a background for the menu item.  You can also set how many fanarts you would like to use for the background, and also how many seconds Amber should wait before changing the fanart being shown.

I hope this is helpful to you.  I am available to answer any questions regarding Amber.  Please post them in the Amber thread, or PM me.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

Hi sorry so almost what my problem is!

I had that bit working fine. So the fanart shows on the menu. I click the menu and it takes me into into the playlist perfectly where my view type is fanart. It’s here that I cannot see the fanart backgrounds, I see just black background behind every cover.. Only the cover flows. Tried to start private chat but didn’t let me for some reason. Maybe as trying to do this on phone

I am using it on my Android tv so it seems restricted in what I can do.
(2020-05-31, 13:34)Ngac Wrote:
(2020-05-31, 01:41)bsoriano Wrote:

Films
Kids films
Home movies
Settings

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

Regards,

Bart 

I had that bit working fine. So the fanart shows on the menu. I click the menu and it takes me into into the playlist perfectly where my view type is fanart. It’s here that I cannot see the fanart backgrounds, I see just black background behind every cover.. Only the cover flows. Tried to start private chat but didn’t let me for some reason. Maybe as trying to do this on phone

@Ngac , do you have the "Show Fanart Background on Sub Windows" enabled in the skin settings:

Amber will not show you fanart (or extra fanart if enabled) in the media views unless you have that option set to Yes.

Regards,

Bart
(2020-06-01, 16:56)bsoriano Wrote:
(2020-05-31, 13:34)Ngac Wrote:
(2020-05-31, 01:41)bsoriano Wrote: @Ngac , hello, I am the maintainer for Amber at this time.  What version of Kodi and what version of Amber did you use on your Android TV? Of course you can do what you mention with Amber, and fanart works very well with Amber and smart playlists, so there must be something missing in the way you have configured Amber. 

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

Regards,

Bart 

@Ngac , do you have the "Show Fanart Background on Sub Windows" enabled in the skin settings:

Amber will not show you fanart (or extra fanart if enabled) in the media views unless you have that option set to Yes.

Regards,

Bart

You absolute superstar!

I was comparing all the settings between the pi and Android and couldn’t find any!

Works like a dream now.

Thanks so much we love amber and use every day!
(2020-06-01, 17:02)Ngac Wrote:
(2020-06-01, 16:56)bsoriano Wrote:
(2020-05-31, 13:34)Ngac Wrote: Hi sorry so almost what my problem is!

Regards,

Bart 

You absolute superstar!

I was comparing all the settings between the pi and Android and couldn’t find any!

Works like a dream now.

Thanks so much we love amber and use every day! 
@Ngac , glad I was able to help Smile

Regards,

Bart

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amber or alternative?0