• 19(current)
v18 QUARTZ - Leia
@bfgane

Couple questions: 1) do you experience similar performance issues with estuary's wall view, and 2) has the same library been imported to your matrix install and, if so, how is that working?
Thank you for the reply.  Hmmm.  Both good questions.

1) I just tried Estuary.  It exhibits exactly the same behaviour.  The order in which the posters paint is identical to what I am seeing in Quartz.  So this is not a Quartz-specific issue then.

2) I just tried this on my Matrix implementation.  It exhibits the same behaviour, and I timed the 'time to completion' for the rendering of the posters and it was identical to my Leia implementations.  So Matrix made no difference.
It seems that the order in which the poster icons are rendered in "Panel" (or in Estuary's "Wall") follows the order in which each movie exists in the "movie" table in the MyVideos database.  In fact, I made a list of the movie posters that I saw, in the order in which the poster icons appeared on screen in "Panel".  It matched exactly against their order in "movie".

So if I choose to display ordered by "Title", which follows the order of entries most closely to the "movie" table, then most of the posters come up rendered immediately.

But if I choose to display ordered by "DateAdded" (descending), then you have to wait for the 'rendering process' (I don't know what else to call it) to make its way through your list of movies, with the most recent often being at the end of your "movie" table.  So the posters that appear on your first screen will not be rendered (appear as greyed-out squares) until the process makes its way all the way to the end of the database table.  And in my case, as I have 3500 movies, this takes about 30 seconds.  Unfortunately, I choose "DateAdded" and "Descending" because I am most interested in my most current movies first.  But I have to sit there for about 30 seconds until I see all of my art displayed.

I suppose this is easiest for the code to not have to worry about what is actually being displayed, but it makes Kodi appear to be really slow.
I didn't expect matrix to make a difference per se. Reason I asked is b/c I would expect that fresher installation to have a clean database and fewer add-ons installed.

Provide a debug log so I can look into this a bit further.
Debug log here: Debug Log
It would be helpful to know the actual code being used to do the query on the database because the 'dateAdded' field is actually on the 'files' table and not 'movie'.  So I'm not sure how they are joining tables or what indices may or may not be involved in the query to find the posters in Textures#.db.  

Thank you again for your assistance @nonJon.  This isn't really a skin problem.
(2020-06-01, 02:31)bfgane Wrote: This isn't really a skin problem.

Quite right and the fact you're using a remote DB puts further troubleshooting above my pay grade. Wink Perhaps the gurus in the dev skinning forum can help.

My one suggestion, apart from sticking with list-type views, would be to use the default sort option for the full library and create/pin a smart playlist for date added browsing.

Good luck!
Hi @nonJon 

Thanks again.

Ok.  Yes.  I just implemented a smart playlist.  And wow!  That works!  When I enter the smart playlist, it comes up boom!  All posters painted in one go.  Just what I really want when I go into "Movies"!

But for my brother in law, who is less technical, instead of simply selecting "Movies" from the homepage, as you do in Quartz, he must select "Browse", then "Playlists", then select the smart playlist that I have just created.  

Is there a simply way to present a selection for a playlist on the homepage?  Is this a simple skin mod?

Thank you
(2020-06-02, 00:47)bfgane Wrote: Is there a simply way to present a selection for a playlist on the homepage? 

Sure. Browse to the playlist, bring up the context menu and choose 'Add to favorites'. Then go to 'Settings>Skin>Homepage>Home menus customizer' and add the favorite to the Movies sub-menu.

Edit: If you haven't already seen it... there is some discussion of home menu customization here you might find useful.
Thanks @nonJon .  That works like a charm.

I note that it still takes about 30 seconds to populate all of the posters on the playlist, but at least it starts from the top of the display, down.  So by the time you have read the first screen, it has populated the posters for most of the rest of the way.  Far more user friendly!
Hello to all!

I would like to report a strange behaviour regarding Quartz and Digital Clock Screensaver.

I am running latest raspbian on  a raspberry pi 3, Kodi 18.7 and Quartz skin.

Every time I return to Kodi menu from the screen saver, Kodi restarts (!!).
Only Kodi that is; not the whole pi.

Is this a known issue?

Any input would be helpful.

Cheers!
Hi @nistsio

I'm not able to reproduce this on my pi. Please try using the default skin to see if it breaks with Estuary as well. Also, posting a debug log might help determine what's happening. thx
(2020-06-28, 15:50)nonJon Wrote: Hi @nistsio

I'm not able to reproduce this on my pi. Please try using the default skin to see if it breaks with Estuary as well. Also, posting a debug log might help determine what's happening. thx
Thanks for the response nonJon.
I just tried with Estuary and I get same results (reboot).
I also tried with different screensavers and got the same Sad

So we can safely say there is something wrong with my installation in general.
I guess I will be starting fresh once I find the time.

Thanks again and congrats for Quartz. It has been my long time favourite! Keep it going...
You're welcome. Hope you get the problem sorted out.

I did notice one minor issue with quartz and screensavers that needs addressing; time and temperature display, if enabled, remain visible while a screensaver is active. Will fix this for matrix and may push the change to leia if I find sufficient incentive to patch v18 again.

Good luck!
(2020-06-29, 23:22)nonJon Wrote: You're welcome. Hope you get the problem sorted out.

I did notice one minor issue with quartz and screensavers that needs addressing; time and temperature display, if enabled, remain visible while a screensaver is active. Will fix this for matrix and may push the change to leia if I find sufficient incentive to patch v18 again.

Good luck!
Is this a bug then? I thought it was expected behavior.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QUARTZ - Leia4