• 44(current)
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel
(2020-05-29, 11:48)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot
And I suggest you do a Petitboot update before doing anything else.
NOTE:Just did an update to Petitboot and I cannot for the life of me get Petitboot to recognise the microSDHC card that has a working CE image on it.

Also - ceemmc - does NOT work with the CoreELEC N2 and eMMC.

Wait what? Why doesn't it work with the N2? I thought it just wasn't listed in the supported devices list. Which is like two but they said others 
should work.
(2020-05-29, 22:19)lightsout Wrote: For CE it is great. Looking forward to trying out a Ugoos box, but really wish they officially supported AndroidTV, can't really see the desire to use a tablet OS on a TV.

There are some really well supported Android TV OS images for the Ugoos devices available that are built upon existing, great Ugoos tablet Android OS Firmware. See the Freaktab forums (click)
@Sasvlad over there has increased the CoreELEC partition size to 3GB which should alleviate Ugoos Dual Boot Firmware storage space problems.

Standard AMLogic Android / CE - Dual Boot is much, much simpler and will be a lot more reliable. It's a well proven setup.

(2020-05-30, 04:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 22:19)lightsout Wrote: For CE it is great. Looking forward to trying out a Ugoos box, but really wish they officially supported AndroidTV, can't really see the desire to use a tablet OS on a TV.

There are some really well supported Android TV OS images for the Ugoos devices available that are built upon existing, great Ugoos tablet Android OS Firmware. See the Freaktab forums (click)
@Sasvlad over there has increased the CoreELEC partition size to 3GB which should alleviate Ugoos Dual Boot Firmware storage space problems.

Standard AMLogic Android / CE - Dual Boot is much, much simpler and will be a lot more reliable. It's a well proven setup.

Do you have to rely on an android image provided by them? It’s a tablet OS isn’t it?

Can’t you install lineage OS which I believe is android TV?
(2020-05-30, 06:16)ozkhan1 Wrote: Do you have to rely on an android image provided by them? It’s a tablet OS isn’t it?

No the Ugoos ROM's are Android TV (click)

(2020-05-30, 06:24)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-30, 06:16)ozkhan1 Wrote: Do you have to rely on an android image provided by them? It’s a tablet OS isn’t it?

No the Ugoos ROM's are Android TV (click)

Dude you are just putting bad ideas in my head now Smile

I guess I’ll order one and see how a dual boot set up works out
(2020-05-29, 17:24)Sholander Wrote: My problem that is not solved: I have latest 64 bit Android version installed on Sandisk uSD card, which works perfectly if N2 boots regularly from only uSD card inserted. If I flip the SPI switch to the left (SPI) position to use Petitboot Android gets stuck at black HK logo. The developer does not know where the problem is, because for him all works OK, and I cannot give him any relevant logs (waiting for ages for my ordered UART Converter)

I solved my problem by myself, without help from developer, and my Odroid N2 can again dual boot new 64bit Android versions Pie-Tablet & Pie-ATV installed on uSD cards, with CoreElec installed on eMMC.
For anybody interested in more info look here.
(2020-05-30, 04:50)wrxtasy Wrote:

Yes I have been following his thread as I await my device. Thanks, going to flash it day one. If it ever shows up.
(2020-05-27, 18:30)feerlessleadr Wrote: The power button on the G20 is programmable, so what I did is I had the IR remote from odroid already, and I programmed my G20 power button to the power button on the odroid IR remote, and it worked perfectly. This way the power button uses IR to turn the N2 on/off, but the other buttons use the USB dongle to control (so it's response is much quicker than IR, and I don't need direct line of sight). 

Here is the IR remote that I used to program the G20 power button:

https://ameridroid.com/products/ir-remote-control
I have the Wechip G20 and the ODROID N2 but don't have an original remote that could power on the N2.  Is there a way of getting the G20 to turn on/off the N2 without having to buy the other remote you have linked to?
(2020-05-31, 18:52)geddyclaus Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 18:30)feerlessleadr Wrote: The power button on the G20 is programmable, so what I did is I had the IR remote from odroid already, and I programmed my G20 power button to the power button on the odroid IR remote, and it worked perfectly. This way the power button uses IR to turn the N2 on/off, but the other buttons use the USB dongle to control (so it's response is much quicker than IR, and I don't need direct line of sight). 

Here is the IR remote that I used to program the G20 power button:

https://ameridroid.com/products/ir-remote-control
I have the Wechip G20 and the ODROID N2 but don't have an original remote that could power on the N2.  Is there a way of getting the G20 to turn on/off the N2 without having to buy the other remote you have linked to?

your best bet would be to have a search through the CE forums. I started to program the N2 to pick up the G20's power button, but when I realized it was WAY easier to just program the G20 power button directly on the remote, I went with that.
Not sure this is the right place to ask but anyway....

Bought several ODroid N2's to use as CoreElec KODI boxes around the house to replace some ancient Atom based 2010 Vintage boxes. Very happy with them especially after I followed instructions in this thread to enable PWR ON/OFF via remote.

Got selected as a trialist for Virgin Media's Ireland's 360 trial with a new Revision of the V6 Box the UK has had for a year or two except instead of a TIVO OS like the UK, the boxes run Virgins own new OS which is used in their Ireland and Europe franchises. Really like it. They now have 360 'Mini' boxes for Multiroom like Sky Q Mini's. Main V6 box is the master box with the HDD and the mini's are smaller boxes which have their own Coax connection for OTA channels and connect back to the main V6 box via ethernet or WIFI  and ones home network for recorded or on demand content streams.

Problem is that I've already maxed out my multiroom boxes with 1x main and 3x mini's. I need TV in one more room. Ironically when I googled about maybe using their VirginTV Anywhere app to stream to a Chromecast connected to a TV, I learned that this functionality was blocked by Virgin with the explaination being that they would lose multiroom sub sales if they allowed it. Ironic, because I only researched it because they wouldn't let me order and pay for another multiroom box!! LOL.

Then a lightbulb went off in my head. Virgin have blocked/made difficult screen mirroring/casting to a device connected to a TV but perhaps not an Android device directly connected to a TV. They allow two devices to connect to the VirginTV anywhere app but a phone/tablet and the device being cast to both count as a device, so both of the Virgin slots are used to cast to one TV.

What I mean is that Virgin TV Anywhere runs in a Chrome Browser, Android Phones and Android Tablets. If 2 allowed Android devices in the Virgin TV Anywhere app are actually connected to the TV's directly and not casting to it that allows me to watch TV on two extraTV'sin the hosue. What if I setup Dual Boot on 2 of my ODroid N2 KODI box for those 2 TV's. Boot into Android to run the VirginTV anywhere app when that person wants to watch TV or Boot into CoreElec KODI

So how do I go about setting up this kind of Dual Boot on the N2? 

Or perhaps the thing to do would be to install Android only on the N2 and install the Android version of KODI. Perhaps doing it that way I might even be able to integrate an 'External App' link to the VirginTV anywhere App into KODI's menu like external Bluray Players can beHuh 

If this isn't the right place to ask, can you steer me in the right direction? The Android sub-Forum here and/or the CoreElec forum or the ODroid N2 forum??

TIA
(2020-06-05, 23:43)calibos Wrote: So how do I go about setting up this kind of Dual Boot on the N2? 

You use Petitboot:
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-n2/os_images/petitboot

Reading the last few pagesx of the support thread is mandatory it seems there are lots of "Gotchas"

(2020-06-05, 23:43)calibos Wrote: So how do I go about setting up this kind of Dual Boot on the N2? 

You use Petitboot:

Reading the last few pages of the support thread is mandatory it seems there are lots of "Gotchas"

(2020-06-06, 05:06)wrxtasy Wrote:

You use Petitboot:

Reading the last few pages of the support thread is mandatory it seems there are lots of "Gotchas"

Reading back through the thread it seems that Dualboot is a bit of a bear to setup on the ODroid N2. What are the downsides of simply buying a 16gb eMMC with Android 9.0 preinstalled on it from ODroid.co.uk and running KODI Android version as an app alongside the VirginTV Anywhere Android app. Keep in mind I’ll be using these with a 720p plasma and 1080p LCD TV so I dont need KODI Android to be able to do perfect 4K HDR 10bit or esoteric audio format decoding etc
(2020-06-06, 14:44)calibos Wrote: Reading back through the thread it seems that Dualboot is a bit of a bear to setup on the ODroid N2.

No, it's not, if all prerequisites are met: installed and working latest stable (9.2.2) CoreElec on uSD/eMMC, installed and working latest AOSP Android 9.0_Android-TV version on eMMC/uSD and installed latest Petitboot to SPI internal memory.
After that it's just a matter of flipping the SPI switch and choosing which OS to boot.
If that is too complicated for you, Odroid N2 is not your best option.

Btw, once you compare, if you ever do, Kodi on CE with Kodi on Android, you'll never wish to run the latter Smile
(2020-06-06, 17:32)Sholander Wrote:
(2020-06-06, 14:44)calibos Wrote: Reading back through the thread it seems that Dualboot is a bit of a bear to setup on the ODroid N2.

No, it's not, if all prerequisites are met: installed and working latest stable (9.2.2) CoreElec on uSD/eMMC, installed and working latest AOSP Android 9.0_Android-TV version on eMMC/uSD and installed latest Petitboot to SPI internal memory.
After that it's just a matter of flipping the SPI switch and choosing which OS to boot.
If that is too complicated for you, Odroid N2 is not your best option.

Btw, once you compare, if you ever do, Kodi on CE with Kodi on Android, you'll never wish to run the latter Smile
Wait, you've to flip the SPI switch, turn the device on and select which OS to boot from the petitboot menu.....every timeHuh

LOL. Feck that!! This has to be used by Tech-phobic family members. They have to flick a little switch on the box itself every time to select which OS to boot into??

Possibly a moot point now anyway.

I remembered I had a 32gb Samsung EVO SD card with rPI2image on it that I could test the VirginTV app with before I waste money on eMMC cards etc. Managed to install Android 9.0 on it and KODI and the Virgin TV anywhere app. KODI felt just as snappy as CoreElec tbh and the VirginTV Anywhere app worked!! So now I know its worth my while buying the 2x eMMC cards with ANdroid 9.0 and the 2x WIFI USB dongles I'd need for these TV's. Have to decide on the Remotes now for these 2 N2 boxes as well as the other 4. Also need to figure out if its possible to launch the VirginTV Anywhere app from within KODI which would be fantastic if possible as it could mean that if I can figure out how to get KODI to autostart when the N2 is switched on, I'll never have to see the Android Homescreen.
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel4