• 2(current)
Android Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box
(damn mod editing mistake - restored original post)

(2020-06-10, 06:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Just get a Class 10 U1 microSDHC and flash it with CE using the free Etcher program on PC / Mac and then pick the AM6 device tree as well.
That is all you have to do, it really is not that complicated to setup Dual Boot on AMLogic chipset Android devices these days.
I understand but I was just wondering what are the major differences.

By the way wrxtasy, I noticed in the pick the hardware thread, you have this device listed with the description of android tablet OS but I remember you mentioning elsewhere that it runs android tv.

I was just wondering if it’s worth the hassle of rebooting the device everytime to use CoreElec because android will be used extensively by kids and wife for games and other apps.

If android Kodi on this box does hdr, hd audio, hdr-sdr auto switching and frame rate matching I think I should be ok and won’t need correlec.
Just not sure if it does all those things though.
Thx
(2020-06-10, 06:20)ozkhan1 Wrote: I understand but I was just wondering what are the major differences.

Already listed - in Detail in previous Page last post. HDR10+ is likely superior with CE Kodi as well.

Quote:By the way wrxtasy, I noticed in the pick the hardware thread, you have this device listed with the description of android tablet OS but I remember you mentioning elsewhere that it runs android tv.

Well if you are into DIY there is a great, very well supported Android TV Pie ROM available for Ugoos Hardware over on the Freaktab Forums (click)
One that also has properly tweaked inbuilt Dual Boot or you can simply stick with Android only.

*** It's one of the reasons why I'm recommending quality Ugoos hardware - flexibility is really great if you are into DIY to do what ever you want.

Quote:I was just wondering if it’s worth the hassle of rebooting the device everytime to use CoreElec because android will be used extensively by kids and wife for games and other apps.

If android Kodi on this box does hdr, hd audio, hdr-sdr auto switching and frame rate matching I think I should be ok and won’t need correlec.
Thx

Well you guys will have to test - that is what Ugoos have stated as supported in their FW update Blogs...

You can always have CE Kodi there as an option, simply leave the microSDHC unseated - or remove it completely. The AM6 will not dual boot then.

The Key here is - Flexibility - and great Support - choose whatever option is the best for you personally Smile

Thx, @wrsxtasy..

I guess I will need the dual boot.

Cheers
(2020-06-10, 06:20)ozkhan1 Wrote: (damn mod editing mistake - restored original post)

(2020-06-10, 06:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Just get a Class 10 U1 microSDHC and flash it with CE using the free Etcher program on PC / Mac and then pick the AM6 device tree as well.
That is all you have to do, it really is not that complicated to setup Dual Boot on AMLogic chipset Android devices these days.
I understand but I was just wondering what are the major differences.

By the way wrxtasy, I noticed in the pick the hardware thread, you have this device listed with the description of android tablet OS but I remember you mentioning elsewhere that it runs android tv.

I was just wondering if it’s worth the hassle of rebooting the device everytime to use CoreElec because android will be used extensively by kids and wife for games and other apps.

Thx

Am6 plus runs tablet/phone Android 9.0 out of the box. However, you can find unofficial ATV firmware that will give you the Android TV experience. I haven't tried it.
well, i finally got my ugoos am 6 plus. I downloaded the ugoos dual boot firmware. I got my OTG cable and downloaded the burning tool as well.. and then I got flummoxed.

There is not usb type A port on the box. How am I supposed to connect it to my PC? Am I missing something here? Do I need a male to male USB cable in order for this to work? 

There are no instruction regarding the physical connections on UGOOS website. I know this probably needs to go to them or coreelec forum, but I always get a much quicker and friendlier response here, so pardon me if this doesnt sound like something I should have posted here. Just hoping to get some help.

Thanks.
(2020-07-07, 02:11)ozkhan1 Wrote: well, i finally got my ugoos am 6 plus. I downloaded the ugoos dual boot firmware. I got my OTG cable and downloaded the burning tool as well.. and then I got flummoxed.

There is not usb type A port on the box. How am I supposed to connect it to my PC? Am I missing something here? Do I need a male to male USB cable in order for this to work? 

There are no instruction regarding the physical connections on UGOOS website. I know this probably needs to go to them or coreelec forum, but I always get a much quicker and friendlier response here, so pardon me if this doesnt sound like something I should have posted here. Just hoping to get some help.

Thanks.
Hi ozkhan1, There is a OTG port as you can see in my review photos on the right hand side of the box, and yes, you need a male-A to male-A USB cable in order to connect it to your PC. Use a back port and not a front port, otherwise it may not be detected.
(2020-07-07, 02:15)mulderfox Wrote:
(2020-07-07, 02:11)ozkhan1 Wrote: well, i finally got my ugoos am 6 plus. I downloaded the ugoos dual boot firmware. I got my OTG cable and downloaded the burning tool as well.. and then I got flummoxed.

Thanks.
Hi ozkhan1, There is a OTG port as you can see in my review photos on the right hand side of the box, and yes, you need a male-A to male-A USB cable in order to connect it to your PC. Use a back port and not a front port, otherwise it may not be detected.
ughhh.. thats what i thought.. well that sucks. I wish they had made that clear so I would have ordered one at the same time I ordered this. I guess im gonna have to wait a few more days to go this up and running. 

Thanks, @mulderfox
(2020-07-07, 02:18)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2020-07-07, 02:15)mulderfox Wrote:

Thanks.
ughhh.. thats what i thought.. well that sucks. I wish they had made that clear so I would have ordered one at the same time I ordered this. I guess im gonna have to wait a few more days to go this up and running. 

Thanks, @mulderfox
Just grab a couple of old USB cables and make your own male to male usb cable.......  All you need is a pair of scissors or knife to cut and strip the wires.  Then connect the black to black, white to white, etc and tape the stripped wires with whatever tape you have on hand........

I have 2 different store purchased cords, but always use my homemade cord.......
(2020-07-07, 04:54)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2020-07-07, 02:18)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2020-07-07, 02:15)mulderfox Wrote: Hi ozkhan1, There is a OTG port as you can see in my review photos on the right hand side of the box, and yes, you need a male-A to male-A USB cable in order to connect it to your PC. Use a back port and not a front port, otherwise it may not be detected.

Thanks, @mulderfox
Just grab a couple of old USB cables and make your own male to male usb cable.......  All you need is a pair of scissors or knife to cut and strip the wires.  Then connect the black to black, white to white, etc and tape the stripped wires with whatever tape you have on hand........

I have 2 different store purchased cords, but always use my homemade cord.......

Interesting.. did not think about that.. unfortunately I have already ordered it.. it will be here in a few days. Thx for the suggestion though.. I should have thought about that sooner.
well, I made a USB cable like you mentioned, @clarkss12 and I can see the box listed under the USB devices on my PC. However it is not showing up under the USB burning tool. 

Any ideas what could be the reason? @mulderfox, do I need to do some fiddling with usb drivers for the box as well? The instructions made it seem simple but I have a feeling my issue is realted to the windows system possibly not recognizing the box properly although its listed in the USB attached devices in the notification tray.
(2020-07-07, 23:22)ozkhan1 Wrote: well, I made a USB cable like you mentioned, @clarkss12 and I can see the box listed under the USB devices on my PC. However it is not showing up under the USB burning tool. 

Any ideas what could be the reason? @mulderfox, do I need to do some fiddling with usb drivers for the box as well? The instructions made it seem simple but I have a feeling my issue is realted to the windows system possibly not recognizing the box properly although its listed in the USB attached devices in the notification tray.
Have a look in Control Panel and check it installed the 'world cup' drivers, the first install I used didn't install these drivers so I had to download another one for it to work.
It did.. I thought it didn’t look right because of the name World Cup..
If you are running Windows, then turn up your volume........  When you connect your device, you will hear your computer make a "boop boop" sound to show that your box is connected to your computer.  That will tell you if the drivers are installed..........  Connecting to the USB burning tool, is a different circumstance......
It recognizes it alright but the burning tool is not..

Wow.. as much excited as I was, this is turning out to be pretty bad I really wish I had gone the odroid route now.. I have wasted pretty much an entire day on this.
Just use the SD Burn Card Maker Program on Windows instead of stuffing around with the difficult to use frustrating and crappy AMLogic Burning Tool:

https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/11/19/...-tv-boxes/

I cannot believe decent Android tablet OS device makers (especially MINIX) are still making users go down this difficult to use and frankly obsolete route in 2020. Sad

When you could literally boot to Recovery and update Firmware via a Signed .zip Firmware file.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box0