• 7(current)
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review
Any ideas why MP4 Files with Dolby Vision (i belive single layer DV) are shown with wrong colors (green and pink) on my TV?

My Ultra HD Bluray Player (Sony UBP-X700) plays the files with correct colors.

Apple TV 4K and Sony Player uses HDMI Cable (2.0b) from the same manufactor.

Demo File: https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=43254366
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
Get an Answer from MrMC Team:

Quote: 
Feel free to email us on support at mrmc dot tv , we are working on it but there is no ETA currently.

Sad
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3
Those Dolby Vision files are in ICtCp color format. There is very little info on how to handle Dolby Vision's ICtCp color format. Your Sony UBP-X700 pays Dolby a license for Dolby Vision and has all the secret info. Which is why they play correctly on the Sony UBP-X700.
Damn proprietary Video Formats!

Thanks for the Information Davilla.
https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/22/tvos-14-b...-apple-tv/

FINALLY YouTube in 4K!
Think Apple is getting ready to release a new Apple TV box.
(2020-06-24, 02:54)hdmkv Wrote: Think Apple is getting ready to release a new Apple TV box.

Honestly that site is Very focussed on Click bait articles.
About every couple of months they circulate Yet another rumour about an imminent ATV hardware update.

Then that sets off the Reddit Newbs asking if it is a good time to buy. This has been happening since about Mid 2018.

New ATV 4K hardware if it is updated would be released at a Special Apple Event that occurs every September.

Ah, I see. It appears new h/w was expected at WWDC, but obviously didn't materialize.
(2020-06-24, 18:01)hdmkv Wrote: Ah, I see. It appears new h/w was expected at WWDC, but obviously didn't materialize.

There was some speculation that a new Apple TV would be the Apple Silicon Mac development platform...  It was very wide of the mark.

I guess the rationale behind moving to a new hardware revision for the ATV either needs to reduce cost, or add functionality that is currently not present.  At the moment the ATV 4K hardware processor seems to outpace every other ARM platform used for media playback in terms of raw CPU power. (It's the only platform that does realtime software decode and deinterlace of high bitrate 4:2:2 1080i content - at least at 50Hz - for example).

Unless a new SoC as used in the iPad Pros/iPhone 11/SE is cheaper than the current SoC (or they stop manufacturing the current one) OR they find a killer new functionality requirement for the Apple TV that needs that extra processing, is there a reason to migrate?

My guess is that gaming would be the driving force to a new hardware platform with more power?

A new remote would be nice though...
Know if Apple TV can play 4K HEVC 4:2:2 50Hz? If so, think I'd get one.
(2020-06-24, 18:51)hdmkv Wrote: Know if Apple TV can play 4K HEVC 4:2:2 50Hz? If so, think I'd get one.

I don't have any - but I'd be surprised if it could software decode that.  It can just about do 1080i25 h.264 4:2:2.

A Raspberry Pi 4B might though - it has a very flexible hardware h.265 decoder AIUI

** Edit - sadly I misunderstood the functionality of the Pi 4B's HEVC decoder apparently **
(2020-06-24, 18:51)hdmkv Wrote: Know if Apple TV can play 4K HEVC 4:2:2 50Hz? If so, think I'd get one.

Did you read the Review?
Apple TV 4K plays HEVC 4K HDR Files @ 60Hz without any Problems.
Got it, but I'm talking about 4:2:2, not the usual 4:2:0. Can you guys try this sample? Thanks.
(2020-06-25, 01:36)hdmkv Wrote: Got it, but I'm talking about 4:2:2, not the usual 4:2:0. Can you guys try this sample? Thanks.

Both MrMC and Infuse Apps on the ATV 4K have no problems playing that 4:2:2 10bit HEVC clip smoothly Smile

(2020-06-25, 04:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 01:36)hdmkv Wrote: Got it, but I'm talking about 4:2:2, not the usual 4:2:0. Can you guys try this sample? Thanks.

Both MrMC and Infuse Apps on the ATV 4K have no problems playing that 4:2:2 10bit HEVC clip smoothly Smile

MrMC on my ATV4K playing that clip is massively out of AV sync.

InFuse plays it much more in sync.

Both are playing in full 50fps - and at first glance it's perfectly watchable - though I can't swear there aren't any dups or skips as I've not watched for long enough.

I'm blown away that my ATV4K can play HEVC 10-bit 4:2:2 - either the hardware decode is more capable than we think, or the CPU really is amazing. (We know Apple are very proud of their silicon...). That said - if Apple have added YouTube 4K support - could they have had to add software decode of Google's VP9 codec?

Is there a way of bringing up the 'O' and CTRL+SHIFT+'O' displays in MrMC to confirm (I don't have a bluetooth keyboard to hand I can pair with the ATV at the moment)

Let's see if it can play AVCi100 100Mbs 4:2:2 1080i AVC Intra (which is 4:2:2 h.264 10-bit I-frame only) - the UK standard HD broadcast file delivery format, and 4:2:2 IMX50 (the SD equivalent which is I-frame only MPEG2 at 50Mbs 4:2:2 576i - albeit with the oddball 720x608 format as it records an additional 32 lines of vertical blanking interval to preserve vertical interval timecode etc.)
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2017 Apple TV 4K - using the Kodi fork - MrMC review2