Is there a way to make the bootable volume huge?
Hi all. I have LibreElec installed on a 32GB card. Of course this leaves tons of it empty. Is there a way to make that space usable by LibreElec & Kodi?

Thanks!
After installation of LibreELEC you have different partitions. One is the boot partition, which should be something about 500MB, IIRC. That partition is normally mounted on "/flash"

Then there's might be a loop-device which is about 200MB mounted on "/"

Not sure how it's handled on a RPi, but on x86 there's also a tmpfs filesystem which (in my case) is about 3.7G which partly is used by the OS (at least that's how I understand it, someone might correct me if I'm wrong or if it's any different for a RPi).

Nearly the complete rest of the SD card is resized to the "storage" partition which can ofc be used by Kodi. 

You simply have write-rights only on the storage partition. The other partitions are read-only

If it's any different for you, then please login via SSH and get me the output of df -h

But, tbh, I guess this is an "a -> b" question. You are asking for "a" but want to know "b". So please tell me what you mean with "make that space usable by LibreElec & Kodi" as well. Wink
Thanks!

Really the problem was pretty simple: The Mac doesn't understand the filesystem on the rest of the SD card, so the 31 GB of remaining space isn't writable on my computer. As far as I can tell, the only practical option at the moment is to copy files to the Pi over SMB, which is painfully slow but gets the job done.
(2020-06-30, 10:40)Stokestack Wrote: Thanks!

Really the problem was pretty simple: The Mac doesn't understand the filesystem on the rest of the SD card, so the 31 GB of remaining space isn't writable on my computer. As far as I can tell, the only practical option at the moment is to copy files to the Pi over SMB, which is painfully slow but gets the job done.

In the beginning I flashed the image to SD card - without first boot resized the FAT32 boot partition to the size that I wanted + rest unformated for storage(libreelec) partition ...  than boot and let it install....
but haven't done this long time.... it is sometimes good to have a 8/16gb card to make the first install and copy it to the bigger one after all is done...
Thanks. I really want to make the rest of the card FAT32. Is that feasible?
(2020-06-30, 23:55)Stokestack Wrote: Thanks. I really want to make the rest of the card FAT32. Is that feasible?

No. LibreElec is a Linux-based OS, and doesn't use the FAT32 format. If your problem is getting files onto the LibreElec data drive, why not put them on a USB drive to copy them across. Alternatively, copy them at a convenient time so you aren't waiting.

Personally I keep all of my files on a network share so that the Raspberry Pi can access them whenever I need without problems.

Mark
Thanks. I was just hoping for a way to plug the SD card into my Mac and copy. FUSE seems janky, though, so I'll just use SMB or a thumbdrive.

And, to be fair, LibreElec does start on a FAT partition, so it's not far-fetched to think it might handle FAT32.
If you want to copy files onto your Pi and your speeds over SMB are slow just get a standard USB stick, format it to exFAT and plug that in.  A 32GB sd card is a waste on LibreELEC, my biggest card is 8GB.  Remember that when you remove the stick it is best to power down before you unplug it.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Thanks. I didn't specifically buy it for Kodi; I just bought two when I got my Pi, so I could experiment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a way to make the bootable volume huge?0