• 247(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Looks like this one got missed...
(2020-06-25, 12:26)shad Wrote: Thanks guys,

have read a bit through the freaktab forum. Not that much info there, but:

1. Saw a video about Ugoos X3 and the guy suggests to replace the original antenna for better performance. Haven't read about it here so far, I believe. What is it about?

2. Also saw a thread, where AML S905X3 is compared to AML S905X4. There the rumour about AML S905X4 supporting AV1 codec mentioned in wrxtasy's post here is confirmed, but now that over 1 year since wrxtasy's post has passed, AML S905X4 devices aren't that far away, apparently, and also Ugoos X4 is pictured there with "soon in 2020", so that it probably makes sense to wait for it. What do you guys think?
(2020-06-25, 03:56)wrxtasy Wrote: Wireless remotes are Always superior vs Infra Red ones included in cheapest Android Boxes.
Not always. In this case there are some limitations in CEC using RF. You cannot boot up using wireless remote. There are waking up issues.
I use X2 Cube, which is enough for me. It doesnt has power button on case. So You can have booting up problems.

CEC working very well on CE, but there is waking up problem.
CEC has some issues on Android in this box. As your starting OS is Android changing source in TV (Panasonic in my case) doesnt boot/wake up X2 Cube.
(2020-06-30, 13:57)Juno Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 03:56)wrxtasy Wrote: Wireless remotes are Always superior vs Infra Red ones included in cheapest Android Boxes.
Not always. In this case there are some limitations in CEC using RF. You cannot boot up using wireless remote. There are waking up issues.
I use X2 Cube, which is enough for me. It doesnt has power button on case. So You can have booting up problems.

CEC working very well on CE, but there is waking up problem.
CEC has some issues on Android in this box. As your starting OS is Android changing source in TV (Panasonic in my case) doesnt boot/wake up X2 Cube.
I use the same box & CEC with CE works perfectly, suspends when I switch the TV off, wakes when I turn the TV on. But as always CEC is a funny thing which will work differently dependant on your TV.

1. Saw a video about Ugoos X3 and the guy suggests to replace the original antenna for better performance. Haven't read about it here so far, I believe. What is it about?

2. Also saw a thread, where AML S905X3 is compared to AML S905X4. There the rumour about AML S905X4 supporting AV1 codec mentioned in wrxtasy's post here is confirmed, but now that over 1 year since wrxtasy's post has passed, AML S905X4 devices aren't that far away, apparently, and also Ugoos X4 is pictured there with "soon in 2020", so that it probably makes sense to wait for it. What do you guys think?
1. Maybe they are suggesting the Wi-Fi is useless, I don't know because I always used Wired.

2. You can wait for the X4, but when that comes out the X5 will be 'coming soon', and on and on it goes. I don't know much about AV1, will it be the standard and make your box obsolete in the near future, I'd say unlikely. I've tested VP9 4k 60 fps which works, so I'm not overly concerned about AV1. The choice is yours though Smile
(2020-06-30, 14:22)FXB78 Wrote: I use the same box & CEC with CE works perfectly, suspends when I switch the TV off, wakes when I turn the TV on.

Can You share with Your CEC settings in CE? And in Android as well if its possible? Screens or else?
Thx in advance.
(2020-06-30, 17:33)Juno Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 14:22)FXB78 Wrote: I use the same box & CEC with CE works perfectly, suspends when I switch the TV off, wakes when I turn the TV on.

Can You share with Your CEC settings in CE? And in Android as well if its possible? Screens or else?
Thx in advance.
I don't use Android but this is CoreELEC:

Guess there‘s nothing to worry about the WeChip G21 remote if I‘d like to have the backlight? It’s just 2€ more than the G20
(2020-06-21, 12:31)Marcello1983 Wrote: I currently have a Intel NUC that is working fine mostly.
But lately we are using Netflix alot next to Kodi so I am looking for a new device.
I am looking at an Odroid N2 or a Nvidia Shield TV 2019 (not pro).
I want the shield for Android and it's apps, especially the Netflix app.

My main needs are auto refresh switching, 4K + HDR, HD audio passthrough, casting from Android smartphone and Netflix in HD/24p.

Also I am very fond of my Logitech Harmony Hub so it needs to connect with that.

I find it very difficult to make a choice as it needs to work stable and also for the family.
Would you guys recommend the shield in favor of the N2 if you want the best Kodi and Netflix experiance?

Just for people interested in the same functions.
I went for the Nvidia Shield TV 2019 and am very happy with it! Refresh Rate Switcher works fine to output 24p with the Netflix and YouTube apps.
Kodi works very stable and casting content from my Android phone is also very nice!
I'm even considering to by a second one for the man cave.
(2020-06-30, 14:28)FXB78 Wrote:

1. Maybe they are suggesting the Wi-Fi is useless, I don't know because I always used Wired.

2. You can wait for the X4, but when that comes out the X5 will be 'coming soon', and on and on it goes. I don't know much about AV1, will it be the standard and make your box obsolete in the near future, I'd say unlikely. I've tested VP9 4k 60 fps which works, so I'm not overly concerned about AV1. The choice is yours though Smile
1. I see, thanks
2. The little difference in that case would be, that X3 is out for a while now and X4 is closer, than X5 would be, when X4 just comes out Smile But yes, I know what you mean Smile

Inbetween I went to CoreELEC forums in the hope to find more info about the Ugoos X3. Didn't find much, but while searching, I saw some threads, that refreshed my initial idea about a device with built-in DVBS2 tuners, that would run CE and so act as a TV receiver *and* media player. Some time ago I was looking for such one + AndroidTV for paid forDRM protected content. Gave up on it, as I said a few post above. But now that I saw those threads, I thought about such a device again, but without DRM stuff this time, as I have an FireTV Stick 4k for this.

Do I understand it correctly, that because of Android running on such devices, the DVB drivers are accessable, allowing to create CE ROMs, which support those built-in tuners and contain TVHeadend server *and* TVHeadend client, allowing to receive the signal from the tuners and dispaly it - all in the same device?

On CE forums I saw these two being mentioned:
- Ferguson Ariva ATV Combo
- Mecool K1 Pro / KIII Pro / ...

Maybe there are more.

If I understand it correctly: what do you guys think about such a solution? Is it reliable in both departments? (TV and media player, all from within CoreELEC without to need Android)
Noob here hoping for some advice. I currently use my firestick 4k to access my plex server and other addons for uhd movies. I've recently got a HW-Q70r soundbar which is connected to my LG Oled via arc, and have the firestick 4k plugged into another hdmi port.

As I've got a new soundbar which supports all the audio formats, namely dolby atmos, I'd quite like to be able to play Atmos content. I'm aware of the firesticks limitations at playing TrueHD atmos content so wanted to get a new streaming box. Something small that I can carry around with me when I travel.

I'm considering getting the Shield TV Tube box for my needs, or is it worth me holding fire and see what the google Sabrina is like?

Thanks in advance, and aplogies for any stupidity!
Hi , with my H96MAX/ S905 X3 i noticed jerky video streaming  via redbull app , When i stream the same 1080/25fps  HW decoded video using  kodi/redbull addon everything is silky smooth .Any idea what is happening?
Can I ask a quick question, please? If I buy the A95X F3 which has the S905X3 and connect it to my Dolby Atmos receiver (and install coreelec on it), does it mean I can play remuxed Blu-ray files through Kodi on it and get it to pass through Atmos to the tv?

Also, if so is there any chance of it being able to pass Dolby vision too or is that solely an OPPO thing?

Thanks a lot, I know it's a stupid question but I got very confused after reading too much.
(2020-08-12, 01:28)royal10march Wrote: Can I ask a quick question, please? If I buy the A95X F3 which has the S905X3 and connect it to my Dolby Atmos receiver (and install coreelec on it), does it mean I can play remuxed Blu-ray files through Kodi on it and get it to pass through Atmos to the tv?

You need Gigabit LAN if you want reliable high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray playback. Be careful what device you choose.
Otherwise 100Mbit is fine for 1080p Bluray.

TrueHD/ Atmos will work unless you are playing back some specific 4K Disney Atmos titles. See Post #1 of this thread.
That limitations applies to ALL Kodi capable devices.

Quote:Also, if so is there any chance of it being able to pass Dolby vision too or is that solely an OPPO thing?
No chance.
The S905X3 chipset is not DV licensed.
The AMLogic S922XJ is, plus the Nvidia Tegra X1+ and some new RealTek SoC’s.

(2020-07-09, 21:17)chuci24 Wrote: I'm considering getting the Shield TV Tube box for my needs, or is it worth me holding fire and see what the google Sabrina is like?

I expect the video Streaming focussed Google Sabrina dongle that will have a S905Y2 chipset in it will NOT have support for any type of HD audio like THD/Atmos.
It will very likely only support online streaming Atmos that being DD+/Atmos that Apps like Netflix and Prime Video support.

(2020-08-12, 03:04)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-08-12, 01:28)royal10march Wrote: Can I ask a quick question, please? If I buy the A95X F3 which has the S905X3 and connect it to my Dolby Atmos receiver (and install coreelec on it), does it mean I can play remuxed Blu-ray files through Kodi on it and get it to pass through Atmos to the tv?

You need Gigabit LAN if you want reliable high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray playback. Be careful what device you choose.
Otherwise 100Mbit is fine for 1080p Bluray.

TrueHD/ Atmos will work unless you are playing back some specific 4K Disney Atmos titles. See Post #1 of this thread.
That limitations applies to ALL Kodi capable devices.

Quote:Also, if so is there any chance of it being able to pass Dolby vision too or is that solely an OPPO thing?
No chance.
The S905X3 chipset is not DV licensed.
The AMLogic S922XJ is, plus the Nvidia Tegra X1+ and some new RealTek SoC’s.

Thank you for the response, is the bandwidth still an issue if I connect my hard drive to the box through USB? My files are all stored on an SSD drive anyway. That should fix the bandwidth issue, right? I haven't been able to find a 1gig box that doesn't overheat within my range and deliverable within the next 20 days, sadly.

Thank you.
  • 247(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28