• 80(current)
Release Experimental Google Music Addon
With Google Play Music slowly being phased out by Google (and things being ramped up lately) was there any chance of a Youtube Music addon in the future? I know there is one out there, but it's not a real Youtube Music addon, but rather an addon that plays music from Youtube.

Youtube Music allows our Google Play uploads etc to play.

Currently all of my playlists have been migrated, and show in the Kodi youtube addon - however any uploaded song won't play in the Youtube addon. It says it's private content or similar (despite me being logged in). I've also noticed this when casting to my Hisense TV - it seems that Youtube Music exclusives won't play in Youtube apps and addons (it needs to be native Youtube Music).
(2020-07-10, 06:20)Abbaskip Wrote: With Google Play Music slowly being phased out by Google (and things being ramped up lately) was there any chance of a Youtube Music addon in the future? I know there is one out there, but it's not a real Youtube Music addon, but rather an addon that plays music from Youtube.

Currently all of my playlists have been migrated, and show in the Kodi youtube addon - however any uploaded song won't play in the Youtube addon. It says it's private content or similar (despite me being logged in). I've also noticed this when casting to my Hisense TV - it seems that Youtube Music exclusives won't play in Youtube apps and addons (it needs to be native Youtube Music).
I'm waiting for a Youtube Music access api so I can try migrate this addon. If anyone knows about one please post, thanks.
(2020-07-10, 15:08)foreverguest Wrote:
(2020-07-10, 06:20)Abbaskip Wrote: With Google Play Music slowly being phased out by Google (and things being ramped up lately) was there any chance of a Youtube Music addon in the future? I know there is one out there, but it's not a real Youtube Music addon, but rather an addon that plays music from Youtube.

I'm waiting for a Youtube Music access api so I can try migrate this addon. If anyone knows about one please post, thanks.
I don't know enough about API's but I found this.... https://ytmusicapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
(2020-08-01, 23:10)starslayer74 Wrote:

I don't know enough about API's but I found this.... https://ytmusicapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Hmm, it can't stream music yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Foreverquest thank you! I have been using this excellent addon for quite a while now, and on a daily basis. Love it. I can only hope we will have a same sort of solution when we make the transfer to Youtube music. Of course, it would be great if you're willing to help us out. If so, THNX!

I have close to zero experience with coding and or API's, nevertheless, this is what I could find in addition to starslayer74. 
https://github.com/topics/youtube-music-api
I hope these entries on Github mean that people are working on it. 

Thanks again....
The youtube music front end, looks pretty much the same as the google music one.... looks more in common with older google music than you-tube.

I assume, it's not as simple as tweeking the older google-music-exp plugin?
(2020-10-10, 18:53)moamoa Wrote: The youtube music front end, looks pretty much the same as the google music one.... looks more in common with older google music than you-tube.

So if anyone has been using the Kodi Youtube addon, it seems like that has been effectively shut down by Google.... I believe that is going to make it much harder for a Youtube Music addon to be built. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem very likely now.
(2020-11-07, 15:07)starslayer74 Wrote:
(2020-10-10, 18:53)moamoa Wrote: The youtube music front end, looks pretty much the same as the google music one.... looks more in common with older google music than you-tube.

So if anyone has been using the Kodi Youtube addon, it seems like that has been effectively shut down by Google.... I believe that is going to make it much harder for a Youtube Music addon to be built. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem very likely now.
My understanding is that it hasn't been effectively "shut down". Google now requires to use your own personal API in order to access the service via an unsupported or unofficial method. You can set-up a personal API at https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3...ng-started

As far as an official YouTube Music API goes, I haven't seen anything official yet but I have been using an unofficial API that effectively emulates web requests as if they were coming from a browser with your POST request headers. I've been playing around with an app written in Python that works really well on a RPi. This is the link to the unofficial API: https://ytmusicapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html#.

I don't have a lot of experience with developing Kodi add-ons but I'm happy to try and help out getting this working with YT Music as I have used this add-on for a number of years and would love to get some if not all of it's functionality back.
(2020-11-18, 05:37)Habitual_Sinner Wrote:
(2020-11-07, 15:07)starslayer74 Wrote:

My understanding is that it hasn't been effectively "shut down". Google now requires to use your own personal API in order to access the service via an unsupported or unofficial method. You can set-up a personal API at https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3...ng-started

As far as an official YouTube Music API goes, I haven't seen anything official yet but I have been using an unofficial API that effectively emulates web requests as if they were coming from a browser with your POST request headers. I've been playing around with an app written in Python that works really well on a RPi. This is the link to the unofficial API: https://ytmusicapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html#.

I don't have a lot of experience with developing Kodi add-ons but I'm happy to try and help out getting this working with YT Music as I have used this add-on for a number of years and would love to get some if not all of it's functionality back.
I, and others, have personal API keys but are still experiencing issues, so I think the issue is deeper. Time will tell. 

I actually linked the unofficial API for YTMusic in an earlier post, I hope you are able to make some headway with it. I switched over to Jango for the time being because it is working.
Since google play music is dead this addon is useless unless updated to youtube music. An unofficial api is available here:https://ytmusicapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
(2020-12-02, 01:57)robert2019 Wrote: Since google play music is dead this addon is useless unless updated to youtube music. An unofficial api is available here:https://ytmusicapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

Realised this is already being dealt with but can't figure out how to delete my earlier post. Sorry.
Hi Guys,

Is there still interest in Youtube Music?

I was able to access my songs from a test addon.

Should I invest more time to release a fully functional addon?
Star 
(2021-01-08, 21:36)foreverguest Wrote: Hi Guys,

That would be awesome.  I moved my music collection to YouTube Music several months back.  Youtube Music has improved a lot since then. 

Thank you so much for your effort!

Yes please!!! Nod

I'm sorely missing your addon and have been considering what to do next (trying to avoid importing it to a local library).

Thanks in advance!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.

Hi foreverquest,

It would be much appreciated if could give it a try. I guess all who invested in GPM transferred to YTM. I think many would benefit from your efforts. Anyways, thanks for asking and trying. I for sure will keep an eye out.
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Experimental Google Music Addon17