• 5(current)
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version
Kodi really needs to add support for single layer Dolby Vision ASAP. With DV now possible with mkv and .ts containers, not having DV support is very quickly becoming a major flaw for me. I really don't want to switch to Plex but it's going to be hard not to knowing I can finally rip my Dolby Vision collection and put them on my NAS with the other 4k Blu Ray Rips. Having all my movies in one place is very appealing to me.
(2020-07-12, 00:09)Reckoner89 Wrote: Kodi really needs to add support for single layer Dolby Vision ASAP.
We don't need to do anything thanks.
(2020-07-12, 01:00)Hitcher Wrote:
(2020-07-12, 00:09)Reckoner89 Wrote: Kodi really needs to add support for single layer Dolby Vision ASAP.

I mean if that's the attitude you want to take then so be it. I'm just saying it's clear that Dolby Vision support is going to be a critical feature going forward when choosing media center so snubbing it would be a mistake IMO. I love Kodi and hope to continue using it in the future exclusively but it depends on certain features.
(2020-07-12, 00:09)Reckoner89 Wrote: Kodi really needs to add support for single layer Dolby Vision ASAP. With DV now possible with mkv and .ts containers, not having DV support is very quickly becoming a major flaw for me. I really don't want to switch to Plex but it's going to be hard not to knowing I can finally rip my Dolby Vision collection and put them on my NAS with the other 4k Blu Ray Rips. Having all my movies in one place is very appealing to me.

yup
(2020-07-12, 01:12)Reckoner89 Wrote:
(2020-07-12, 01:00)Hitcher Wrote:

I mean if that's the attitude you want to take then so be it. I'm just saying it's clear that Dolby Vision support is going to be a critical feature going forward when choosing media center so snubbing it would be a mistake IMO. I love Kodi and hope to continue using it in the future exclusively but it depends on certain features.
I was simply stating the fact that we don't need to do add something just because you want it ASAP. This is a hobby for us not a job.
You are absolutely right Hitcher.

Reckoner89, final support of the MKV spec was recently added and two days ago MakeMKV 1.15.2 was released including the new method agreed by the Cellar group. I guess MKVToolnix will do the same in the next version, so now we have a way to create the backups following the approved spec, but be patient dude, it was 2 days ago!, as Hitcher said they work selflessly on Kodi, as a hobby not a job, and you perfectly now we should be more than grateful for their efforts during all these years. They need time and they have their schedules and plans, doesn't matter what you expect or if you want ASAP, and no, there is no a real need of DV for the masses, that's the reality.

I'm also interested in have support from Kodi, specially when Plex sucks on NVIDIA Shield at least, but they haven't the obligation of prioritize DV over other things.

I really hope that now we can generate test files with the approved method, they can keep an eye on it when they have the time and give support, probably most of the work is on FFmpeg, but I'm not sure 100%

So, lets be patient, understanding and grateful, meanwhile you can at least create your backups and you know someday you will give support.
For anyone wishing for Dolby Vision in Kodi it is now possible using the latest version of MakeMKV to rip the disc and a beta version of ExoPlayer apk provided over on the MakeMKV forums. Using the playercorefactory.xml I have a rule telling Kodi to use ExoPlayer when playing videos with Dolby.Vision in the filename so I now have working Dolby Vision MKV's with Atmos audio playing in Kodi! Hopefully we can get native support in Kodi soon.
I am grateful for the Kodi Teams efforts and hope they will get this working in the near future.

Reckoner, I cant seem to even get DV working in plex . I can play DV off usb plugged directly into my LG CX 65 but when trying to play it on my Shield Pro via plex streaming over smb from my freenas server the screen goes black with the spining wheel of death and nothing. do I need a special version of plex ?
I can confirm that the customized exoplayer triggers dolby vision by my Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 on my LG OLED65C97LA.

It would be fantastic to see a native Kodi integration. Smile

Best regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2020-07-26, 17:50)Reckoner89 Wrote: For anyone wishing for Dolby Vision in Kodi it is now possible using the latest version of MakeMKV to rip the disc and a beta version of ExoPlayer apk provided over on the MakeMKV forums. Using the playercorefactory.xml I have a rule telling Kodi to use ExoPlayer when playing videos with Dolby.Vision in the filename so I now have working Dolby Vision MKV's with Atmos audio playing in Kodi! Hopefully we can get native support in Kodi soon.

Can u please tell us how to put exoplayer working and the xml file on the Kodi on a ShieldTV (for ex) ? No need for root??
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
Hello,

I use an Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019. For me it worked the following way. This is early alpha and for testing purposes only!

1. Mount your NAS directories to your Nvidia Shield at Andorid TV OS level (not in Kodi)
  2. Save a file with the name "playercorefactory.xml" including the content below to your NAS
  3. Download yusesope's modified Exoplayer to your NAS from here: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic....125#p94191
  4. Install "X-plore File Manager" on your Nvidia Shield from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...lore&hl=de
  5. install the modified Exoplayer.apk through your android filemanager (X-plore) from your NAS
  6. Open Kodi, go to Kodi File Manager, copy "playercorefactory.xml" from your NAS to your Kodi "Profile Directory" (Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/)
  7. Restart Kodi, go to Kodi File Manager and open your DV file "Name (2020 DV).mkv" from the OS mount  (The file name should contain "DV" to automatically play the file by the modified Exoplayer)
  8. Now you should see the DV logo triggered on your tv

playercorefactory.xml

xml:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="ExoPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>com.google.android.exoplayer2.demo</filename>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>120</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
<rule filename=".*DV.*" player="ExoPlayer"/>
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Additional information about the steps listed above
  • It doesn‘t work if you play a DV file from a Kodi mounted folder! The files need to be accessable from an usb device connected to your Nvidia Shield or mounted from Android OS level
  • For automatic refresh rate switching you have to install and configure the App "Refresh Rate" from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...rate&hl=de
  • If you see the error message "Playback failed" you have to press the play button again, and again, ...
  • Alternatively you can change "DV" in the file name to what you want. If so, you also have to change the "rule filename" in the "playercorefactory.xml". For more details have a look at the kodi wiki: https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

Interesting links to the work status
Kodi 19.x "Matrix" - Alpha 1 states the following:

Code:
Android:
Static HDR10 support for all source types (if supported by the device)
Dynamic Dolby Vision HDR support for streaming services (if supported by the device)

I hope that also DV mkv support gets done until stable Matrix release, but hope dies last. Wink

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
MediaInfo recognizes DV now:

https://github.com/MediaArea/MediaInfoLib/pull/1263

Plex added DV support:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announc...154124/362

That's Android only since they use Exoplayer as the player, so not really any different to what you've done in Post#71.
Yes, you are right. I know this. But at the moment only some Android devices are capable to play a DV.mkv.

Now we have three ways/apps for Android:

Exoplayer
Emby
Plex

Regards Hoppel

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version2